Radio and speaker issues

tdi'd

TDI
2012 Golf (RIP), 1985 Golf (RIP), 2001 Golf
Recently someone broke into my golf and took the alpine head unit. Just put in an oem radio the other day. Today was the first time I used the car since. When the balance is centered, no sound comes out of the driver side speakers just some static. When the balance is put all the way to the left sound come out of both left and right speaker plus more static from the left side. The speakers worked fine before the other radio was stolen. I’m kinda at a loss. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
Was the OEM plug cut off wkhen the Alpine was installed? Sounds like maybe a wiring problem.

tdi'd

TDI
Was the OEM plug cut off wkhen the Alpine was installed? Sounds like maybe a wiring problem.

It wasn’t. It was wired convolutedly. Wire harness spliced to wire harness which was plugged into the the oem harness/plug.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It wasn’t. It was wired convolutedly. Wire harness spliced to wire harness which was plugged into the the oem harness/plug.
Was the original model radio installed?
If not maybe the pinout for the radio is wrong?

tdi'd

TDI
Was the original model radio installed?

If not maybe the pinout for the radio is wrong?

It’s not the original stereo. It’s the same kind of oem single din radio though. Pins should be the same on that radio as they were in the radio that came with the car out of the factory.

I’m thinking something is messed up with the radio wiring or maybe the pins at the back. (The reason I think it’s the radio and not the wires is that the speakers worked fine before the alpine was stolen.) When I hit big potholes the speakers that work change.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Could be something in the radio.
What year is the car?
Is it a Monsoon radio?
Based on mine:
The wires for the speakers for the non Monsoon all go to the radio, no speakers grounded.
The wires for the speakers for the Monsoon all go to the amplifier, no speakers grounded.
Did the Alpine need the speakers grounded?
From above:
'It was wired convolutedly'
You may just have to undo the convolution.