Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
With crude oil near prices last seen in 2014 and distillate stocks near the bottom of their range over the last five years, I think diesel prices have nowhere to go except higher.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
$2.85 for RUG and $3.15 for diesel at the local Speedway.
On my twice yearly drive through the USA I will never go to SPEEDWAY or LOVE's etc. Those are generally higher priced than going off the Interstate a few hundred feet. A few years ago I also avoided Valero stations since they were always more expensive, but in about the last couple of years they are usually lower than many other stations.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
On my twice yearly drive through the USA I will never go to SPEEDWAY or LOVE's etc. Those are generally higher priced than going off the Interstate a few hundred feet. A few years ago I also avoided Valero stations since they were always more expensive, but in about the last couple of years they are usually lower than many other stations.
There's a road that goes between the major highways in NJ and S.I., NY and it's loaded with gas stations. These stations are usually filled with New Yorkers, because the gas is cheaper here. I'm running at 76% EV, so I don't frequent them much. ;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
There's a road that goes between the major highways in NJ and S.I., NY and it's loaded with gas stations. These stations are usually filled with New Yorkers, because the gas is cheaper here. I'm running at 76% EV, so I don't frequent them much. ;)
Which one are you talking about?

The only ones I know are I-278 that runs from US 9 across I-95 then over the Goethals Bridge, and SR 440 from the I-95/I-287 Interchange over the Outerbridge Crossing and they are all freeway routes. It sounds like you are talking about a surface street. Unless you mean SR 440 through Bayonne?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which one are you talking about?
The only ones I know are I-278 that runs from US 9 across I-95 then over the Goethals Bridge, and SR 440 from the I-95/I-287 Interchange over the Outerbridge Crossing and they are all freeway routes. It sounds like you are talking about a surface street. Unless you mean SR 440 through Bayonne?
West Pond Rd, which turns into Pfeiffer Blvd.. The Turnpike, Parkway, Rt. 9 and Rt. 35 feeds onto them and takes you to the Outerbridge Crossing.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Funny you mention Love's, I was just at one for the first time in 4 years. It's about 20 miles up the road from me, so I don't get up there often, but they have a 24 hour Arby's and I had a craving for all the meats and more meat.

Love's diesel on the car side was $3.149 and $3.199 credit on the trucker side. I knew it was going to be high, but that was still a shock. I think the cheapest D2 in my town is up to $2.849, though, so it isn't lagging far behind.

I've traveled enough to know to filling up at a truck stop is a last resort because it's gouge-city. It wasn't always like that, though; I remember routinely hitting up Flying J because they'd be cheaper than anyone else. But they are as high as everyone now.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
West Pond Rd, which turns into Pfeiffer Blvd.. The Turnpike, Parkway, Rt. 9 and Rt. 35 feeds onto them and takes you to the Outerbridge Crossing.
Ah, now I see. I never drove on that route. I would always be going to the Turnpike or the GSP. Only time I was on a surface street in that area was when I took SR35 down to Long Branch.

BTW, diesel is "only" $3.319 at the station around the corner from me; regular is $3.039, Mid $3.339, & Premium $3.439 and those are the lowest prices in my area.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Funny you mention Love's, I was just at one for the first time in 4 years. It's about 20 miles up the road from me, so I don't get up there often, but they have a 24 hour Arby's and I had a craving for all the meats and more meat.

Love's diesel on the car side was $3.149 and $3.199 credit on the trucker side. I knew it was going to be high, but that was still a shock. I think the cheapest D2 in my town is up to $2.849, though, so it isn't lagging far behind.

I've traveled enough to know to filling up at a truck stop is a last resort because it's gouge-city. It wasn't always like that, though; I remember routinely hitting up Flying J because they'd be cheaper than anyone else. But they are as high as everyone now.
The Loves closest to me used to one of the cheaper places to get D2 and it was right on I77. Once they started carry B10 only, their prices went up to the 5-10 cent higher than everyone else and have stayed there. QT usually has the cheapest fuel in the SC side of the Charlotte area. You just have to pay attention to the pricing differences from one side of Lake Wylie to the other. Sometimes that can be a dime or better.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, now I see. I never drove on that route. I would always be going to the Turnpike or the GSP. Only time I was on a surface street in that area was when I took SR35 down to Long Branch.
Seven gas stations in that little stretch AND the Wawa there has 8 Tesla Superchargers. :D

If you ever have to go to Long Branch again, take the GSP to exit 105 and take Rt. 36 east, which will take you right in. Unless you have to take it, 35 sucks.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seven gas stations in that little stretch AND the Wawa there has 8 Tesla Superchargers. :D

If you ever have to go to Long Branch again, take the GSP to exit 105 and take Rt. 36 east, which will take you right in. Unless you have to take it, 35 sucks.
Thanks, but I probably won't be going back there. My wife wanted to show me where she lived when she was teaching at Monmouth College back in the early 70s and we took the route she knew from her parent's home on Staten Island. This was about 35+ years ago.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Thanks, but I probably won't be going back there. My wife wanted to show me where she lived when she was teaching at Monmouth College back in the early 70s and we took the route she knew from her parent's home on Staten Island. This was about 35+ years ago.
Passing on a chance to visit New Jersey again?

That's crazy!

I don't even have to visit Jersey to hear about how great it is. They're all moving down here.... and still telling me how great New Jersey is. The food, the culture, the everything. Makes me wonder why they were in such a hurry to GTFO.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passing on a chance to visit New Jersey again?

That's crazy!

I don't even have to visit Jersey to hear about how great it is. They're all moving down here.... and still telling me how great New Jersey is. The food, the culture, the everything. Makes me wonder why they were in such a hurry to GTFO.
No, Long Branch. When ever we go back to visit her relatives on Staten Island, we fly into Newark, then drive the rental to S.I. via the Turnpike. If we head upstate to other relatives part of the route is via NJ 17 to NY 17 (future I-86).

Your experience with transplants follows mine with people moving up to Northern California from L.A. & the Bay Area. I tell them if they liked their old area so much, please move back there! :D

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Reg $2.60

Diesel $2.90

2019 they say $100.00 a barrel.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Cheapest diesel near me this morning is $2.70. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm only down a quarter in the truck.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
2.85-2.95
RUG 2.73
I wonder where the pain threshold is today for SUVs and pickups.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Lots of Twin Cities stations at $3.299 and a few are even higher.

So far I've managed to find the ones that are still less than $3.00 when I need to fuel up. But if crude oil keeps going up, then sub=$3 diesel will disappear.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Did a trip to Central Illinois this past weekend - most stations were $2.99 to $3.04 for diesel. Saw a few that were $2.91 plus one that was $2.79. Northern Indiana is running about $3.29 average which can be exempt or non-exempt price - if exempt add .28 fuel tax so it's $3.57 at those stations. Across the border in Southern Michigan it's $3.35

Das

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Jetta GLS TDI sold377k , 2012 black A3 TDI wagon
Southern Nh
3.04 diesel
2.88 reg
That’s today
Yesterday
3.01 diesel
2.84 reg
Seems to be going up 2/3 cents per day