Clear Coat chipping on Side mirror....

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Hey all,

Well today I decided to give my car a bath. I noticed the clear coat on my passenger side view mirror is chipping away and leaving unsightly dull spots. :mad:

Do these plastic covers come prepainted ? Or do I have to have the side mirror refinished ? Is there a way to stop the clear coat from peeling any further while retaining and acceptable appearance ? I may be able to find a paint stick with just clear in it....just want it to look good and not ugly :(

thanks,

Nick

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
the mirror can be sripped and repainted... what color is yours?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Had a 99 with the clear coat peeling away. VW repainted the car. Either have the mirror repainted in a body shop. I would inspect the whole car though .

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Car is immaculate.....just noticed the mirror today.

My car is Tornado Red. Car has 113k on her, other then the normal chips etc from highway driving...she shines like new.

The chip on the mirror is about the size of a dime......can she be saved ?

Nick

See below for details on the car

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
solid colors are easy to reproduce (unlike metalics), I would just have both mirror caps removed, take them to a paint shop and tell them you want them done to the OEM specifications. about $150 or so later... they will look good as new.