B5.5 Passat Brakes

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
I've got a lot of front end shake when braking from any speed above 90km/h (50mph). Figure its time for the rotors to be changed so just wondering what people usually go with for replacement of the front brake rotors and brake pads? Any specific sizing requirements I need to watch out for?

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
I really like Hawk HPS brakes pads. I use them on my personal cars, totally worth the money.

:)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I have Brembro Rotors and Akebono EuroCeram pads on both of our cars and they are great with negligible dust. However, with "a lot of front end shake", you might want to check the bushings and ball joints on all EIGHT of your front suspension links.

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
I'll go with akebono pads, just need some rotor suggestions. So far the only one is Brembo's, is that what most people use?

However, with "a lot of front end shake", you might want to check the bushings and ball joints on all EIGHT of your front suspension links.
I'll check it out but I do believe the shake is because of a messed up rotor, more so on one side than the other, why? Because I had a driver side rear brake that was leaking fluid which resulted in less braking power and more stress on the other 3 brakes. Fixed that, now I need to fix the brakes. In any case I'll check the suspension bushings / ball joints first.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Brembro and Zimmerman both make good products. You don't need anything slotted or drilled for the street even if you have spirited driving habits.

Good luck!

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I went with Akebono ceramics on the rear, and then 12k miles later when it was time to do the fronts I went with TRW pads. Really wish I had paid extra for the Akebono on the fronts. The TRWs stop fine, but throw a decent amount of brake dust.

For rotors I went with what the trusted vendors were offering in their brake packages at the time. The rears were Balo and now with 4+ years and approaching 60k miles and no problems. The fronts were Hudson and 3 years & ~45k miles later and also no problems. I think any of those are "quality" rotors as well as Zimmerman and Brembo and others. I wouldn't pay much of a premium for one over the others, I don't think.

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
I've been checking online for prices, going with Zimmerman Coated Rotors and Akebono Pads

idparts.com - 245.95 + shipping
World Impex - 163.67 + shipping

Any idea on why the almost $80 difference on pricing for the same parts? Has anyone ordered from World Impex before, how was the experience?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...Any idea on why the almost $80 difference on pricing for the same parts? Has anyone ordered from World Impex before, how was the experience?
Volume purchase? Sometimes it is the other way around. The new owner at Impex is a good guy. He made right by everyone who got burned by the previous owner.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I've been checking online for prices, going with Zimmerman Coated Rotors and Akebono Pads

idparts.com - 245.95 + shipping
World Impex - 163.67 + shipping

Any idea on why the almost $80 difference on pricing for the same parts? Has anyone ordered from World Impex before, how was the experience?
You might want to check with a few local vendors before bending over on cross border freight and brokerage!

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
Picked up Zimmerman coated rotors and Akebono pads for $210 shipping and taxes included. Most local places I called ware about $260+. Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully they are a good combo.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
what about upgrading to Audi A8 rotors and TT caliper carriers and nice pads. Is there any point to this for a daily driver?

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
You need to make sure the A8's rotors will clear your wheels. Them are pretty big rotors. For a daily driver, I doubt that you will notice a difference. MAYBE as a daily driver when you have to hit the brakes hard to avoid a deer or rear ending someone. I know that on the track bigger brakes allow you to brake later, therefore have faster lap times.:p

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
Have used the Blauparts rotors and pads. The rotors come from South America, just looking at the metal you can tell there is more iron in them. The prices are great too! I have put them on two Jetta TDIs and two Passat TDIs, they have a very nice confident feel when stopping.