2005 Passat GLS TDI WAGON with 163000 miles

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Unless you really shop around and rebuild the clutch set, $1300 will not be even close to vetting the Transmission and all the other parts needed for the conversion.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
I went back and checked my notes, $1400-$1500 was what I was quoted for the full 5 speed swap kit from Europe shipped (not including reflash or a valeo clutch so add $750 for both). Which is why I figured if you take your time and search you could get it cheaper if the auto is still functioning.
I was wrong with the 6 speed, because that does not include the aftermarket rebuild kit of $500 or the labor to rebuild it (I know at least 1 guy who hasn't done that, but I doubt any shop would let the 01e go out the door without it), so I will edit that in the last message. for the sake of consistency.
I think that still puts close to the $4k window, but hey, I haven't done the swap yet, so if there are lots of things that I forgot feel free to make up a new list. If you want to do that, then I will edit my post after you are all done.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You can get a 5 speed swap "kit" with everything mechanical that you need from Frans at www.dutchautoparts.com for 1350 euro. (~$1,800). That includes a used DMF, a new Sachs clutch as well as shipping to the US. The ECU will need to be recoded and that shouldn't be too much more than a couple hundred bucks.

Imanco

TDI
2013 passat TDI SE.... turned in. 2015 Jetta SE
Wow, so much knowledge. The car is still in the market and seller has not been able to confirm iF THE bsm HAS been worked on. How do i do an independent check on this car to see if the BSM has been done?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Assume that the bsm hasn't been done, most of them were not. However if you post a video with sound for us here, in most instances, we'll hear the infamous chain. You can even search the archives here. In all instances where the poster showed us a video, the chain noise was easy to discern.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
A bit of caution, if the engine sounds normal, it may have had the BSM done or deleted, but may still have a functioning chain-driven BSM waiting to cause grief such as the hex shaft driving the oil pump.

As above - you can only assume it has not been done and price accordingly. The only way to check for sure is to drop the oil pan.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What percentages of Passat TDIs had a BSM faliure?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
When you raised the idle, I heard what I'm pretty sure was chain noise. Its not as pronounced as some others. Its a high frequency swishing sound, not unlike the sound of steel brush on a cymbal and it changes with rpm increase. As has been said by others here, make sure you budget the money to address it immediately after you buy it and not wait as some have done and have it jackpot.