2004 2.0TDI build thread

priest

TDI
04 Passat 2.0 153,243miles, 2012 jetta 2.0tdi 34,392miles
2004 BHW 2.0 TDI build thread

I bought a 2004 passat with the 2.0 BHW tdi with 154,329miles on it that had thrown a timing belt and mated a piston to a valve. So pulled the engine and started rebuild. Started out just doing a head job, new gaskets, timing belt kit, and standard pistons. Got it apart and it needed a full rebuild. had the head done and bored the block .5mm over. rebuilt the injectors. polished the crank, counterbalance shaft delete, rebuilt turbo.
Keep in mind I bought the car in February 2014 and its now August 2014 and the car still isn't back on the road. It took 2 machine shops and months to get them to work on it. finding anything for this engine isn't easy. I would be more than happy to lend anyone a hand that wants to tackle this task. I've found out the hard way where to and no to buy parts and where you get the best deal. I've dropped about 6k into the engine because once you get started its hard to stop right?

I ordered my pistons, valves, valve springs, and head gasket kit from hansdieselparts.com

I ordered the timing belt kit, counterbalance shaft delete kit, injector rebuild, rod and main bearings from kermatdi.com

Had the turbo rebuilt by Turbo Supply the turn around was amazing it took them 2 days to have it back in my hands with a 1 year unlimited miles/hours warrant.

Looking for the best place to get a tuner for the 2.0 haven't heard much about anyone besides Kerma.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to do the egr delete.
The first stop for the car after its running is muffler shop for 2.5in straight pipe from the turbo back. Later mods are a stage 2 cam, studded, bigger turbo, and manual swap.

I know this isn't the best thing to read but if you have any questions feel free to ask away. I'll keep this updated when I get time to work on it. Thanks for reading have a good day

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
You probably would have saved thousands by buying a short block from VW.

priest

TDI

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The one thing I did notice when ordering parts is it all depends on the parts. I will keep this in mind when I order anymore parts. Didn't know about the list but thank you for bringing it to my attention.
So you've already reassembled the engine with the Prothe parts? :eek:

Good luck!

priest

TDI
No I haven't. I'm replacing all of the Prothe parts. I got most of them ordered from kerma. Does anyone know where to get .5mm oversized pistons?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I think you may not find oversize pistons for this engine, at least not ones to trust, and that may put a damper on this project. Oem pistons w/rings are close to 500/hole so you may still be ahead if you buy a short block. One minor problem, there is a 1000 core charge, if you don't give them your old block.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
I have never bored a block without already having the pistons on hand to measure clearance.
Normal oversize pistons are 20 or 40 or 60 thou over in north American specs.
.5 or 1 mm (about 39 thou) if working on metric engines.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I guess that only leaves sleaving as an alternative if you don't just buy a short block, which is not cheap or really desirable. Whats wrong with the bores as they are?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frank is well liked here for his expertize. He also can give you an idea what to expect from your turbo supply rebuilt turbo. Since the turbos are only 900-1000 new, many if not most here favor buying them new and avoiding issues.