Suggestion for first long drive

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well I've just bought my first TDI and will be driving it home from Chicago to Ca. Was hoping for any pointers of things I should do before I go. Any tools I should bring with me. Any spares I should bring. The car is a '03 Jetta wagon with 60k miles. Has been Vag-com checked and looked at by another TDI club member for me. Thanks Peter. I leave on 10/25. Should I buy a shop manual?
Thanks all for your help so far.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Any tools I should bring with me. Any spares I should bring. The car is a '03 Jetta wagon with 60k miles. Has been Vag-com checked and looked at by another TDI club member for me.
Have you actually seen or driven the car yourself? If not, then it's difficult to predict what you might need on the way back. Probably nothing, considering the model year and low mileage.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Any tools I should bring with me. Any spares I should bring. The car is a '03 Jetta wagon with 60k miles. Has been Vag-com checked and looked at by another TDI club member for me.
Have you actually seen or driven the car yourself? If not, then it's difficult to predict what you might need on the way back. Probably nothing, considering the model year and low mileage.
I would concur with probably nothing.

I just finished a 6200 mile R/T San Jose, CA to mid south FL (near Cocoa Beach, FL) pre hurricane Katrina.

The only thing I brought car maintainance wise was bottle of Primrose 405C (a skosh after every fill up, 12/13 fill ups). I brought a 1 quart bottle of Mobil One 5w40 Truck and SUV, but in truth, I just leave it in the trunk, even when local. So more correctly, I just didn't pull it out before the trip.
Other than Primrose 405/c at fill up, the only thing I really used was a squirt bottle of my fav car wash, slightly stronger than normal to hit with moisten 100% cotton towelling for the inevitable bug and bird splatter.

jvc

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 w/dsg &pkg2 2000 NB TDI, 1957 Bug
If you have my luck, no matter how much you take, if anything happens, it will involve something you did not bring- Clark's Law?

Although I must admit, over the years I have always seemed to have what someone else needed.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
It'd have a relay 109 and fuel filter. Not much else likely to be needed. The fuel filter just because you may get a bad batch somewhere - but you probably won't need it.

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Again Thanks for all the advice, but two Questions. What is Primrose 405c and what does relay 109 do?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Primrose 405C is a summer- or warm-weather additive. Very good stuff, you only use about 1 ounce or less per tankful of diesel. You might want to start using it after you get back to California, but you won't need it for the trip.

In earlier-model TDIs, the relay 109 was problematic -- if it failed, you weren't moving til you got a new one. By model year 2003 they were a lot less troublesome.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Hey Trayfly, congrat on the car!!! I would just get some powerservice because easy find and cheap. Also an extra fuel filter is a good idea too.

Ron

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Relay 109 is the "main power relay" - again not as much of a problem in the newer cars. However, looking at things that could leave you stranded, and their cost/size, this is one item that might be worth having. Do a search, or read the FAQ's.

By the way, read the FAQ's before this trip. That's the big recommendation.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
If all of the filters have been done before the trip then I would just carry a quart of 5W40 full synthetic, your choice of supplier. An additive of some sort, Primrose etc would be good as well. Since we are heading into fall and you are coming to Chicago I would pick up some winter additive when you are up here. It prevents gelling of the fuel at low temperatures and you know you are going to pick up a tank of summer diesel somewhere, sods law says it will be the evening you get a rare frost outside your hotel! It is also good to add to your tank before you hit the mountains or go skiing. I use Kleen-Flo Low Sulphur Power additive, it improves your Cetane level and add lube for your fuel pump as well as anti-gelling agent. It can't hurt to have relay 109 which is the main power for glow plugs etc as well, a $25 part. I also pick up a box of 100 latex gloves that I keep in the trunk, cheap and good to use if the station looks skanky or you have to play with your fuel filter to drain out the water you picked up at the skanky station!

I would also look at picking up a set of metric tools in Chicago, why haul all that weight out here. Just your basic trunk set in a plastic case, with a couple of Torx drivers -T20 and T25 to do the ventectomy on your fuel filler. A good tire gauge wouldn't hurt. I just drove across this summer and averaged 56.6 mpg IMP which would be around 48 mpg USG, the whole trip from Ottawa to Victoria via Yellowstone Park took me 7000 Km or around 4500 miles and cost $200 USD, your distance would be shorter but the cost of diesel has gone up from the average $2.30 per gallon that I paid. Oh and bring your favourite CDs as it helps to pass the time, you won't be stopping much as you only have to refuel every 10 hours of so.....