Newbie: Sulfur Content 15ppm vs. 500ppm

TDI
'06 Jetta
Please note, I am a newbie: I've owned the car for less than two weeks & yes I know how to use the search button :)

Regardless here is my question:

I filled up my car for the 1st time last night at a local South, FL Shell Station.

The station happened to have the combo Diesel/Gas Pumps under the regular car port. Thus, I filled up my Jetta there. However, I noticed they also had the 18wheeler pumps out back.

I noted that the pump I was filling up on had the 15ppm sticker. While walking to the 18wheeler pumps I noted a 500ppm sticker.

Does it make a difference which pump I use? Pros or cons for either 15ppm vs. 500ppm. I assume 15ppm is the NEW Diesel standard & is better?

In addition, due to living is South, FL anytime a Hurricane comes the only fuel available is Diesel @ Truck stops. This is due to the fact that every man / woman / & child / gets 55 gallon drums of gas to fill their SUV.

So if I am forced to fill up at a Diesel Truck stop, is that okay for my car?

Sorry for the more than likely dumbest question you've ever heard from a newbie...

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I don't think I can every own another "gasser"... 520 miles on 13 gallons of gas. 40MPG...A/C on 24/7 with 90+ Temps here in FL

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You can use either. What was the price differential?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
If I had my choice, I'd use the ULSD. Your car will run cleaner on it. What was the price diff between the two?

TDI
'06 Jetta
You know my dumb @$$ didn't even think to note a price diff at each pump.

I paid $2.79 & assumed it was the same price. At least that's what was on the curbside Jumbo Price Board.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The "car" pumps and the "semi" pumps more than likely both have fuel that come out of the same underground tank. If the car pump said 15ppm, I'm guessing that they haven't gotten around to labeling the stickers on the semi pumps to reflect the lower level of sulfur.

You can put either in your car. ULSD (15 ppm) will be better for your car over the long term - that's the fuel it was designed to run on.

I would recommend some manner of fuel additive to increase lubricity, simply because Bosch, the fuel system manufacturer, would like fuel that has more lubricating properties than the minimum required by ASTM D975. All ULSD is already additized to meet the D975 specification, but I personally feel a few ounces of additive per tank is cheap insurance for the expensive injectors & pump. Some popular choices are Power Service, Howes Diesel Treat, Stanadyne, Primrose or biodiesel.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the club!

scurvy

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
the 15 ppm will burn cleaner. There will be no issue (other than maybe a little more soot) if you burn the 500 ppm diesel. Using the truck stop diesel will be ok. When traveling*, that is all I will use because I know it is fresh fuel and has been treated accordingly for recent weather conditions.

*(At home I use B20) I try to find biodiesel when traveling and have my stops planned out, but barring availabilty of Bio-D, I revert to truckstop fuel:)

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
ULSD was the fuel used when the motor was designed. It will prolong your cat converter. Its better for the eco system. Your manifold will take forever to plug. Your turbo likes it better - nice thing is you can run it on all the fuels I think even 5000 pm. The cat life is just shorteneed.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
tditom said:
If I had my choice, I'd use the ULSD. Your car will run cleaner on it. What was the price diff between the two?

10% less particualtes on ULSD - not that big of a deal. I wouldn't go out of my way to find ULSD. Use whatever is cheaper and more convienent.

ULSD's real benefit is to 2007 engines with Diesel Particuate Filters, which will reduce particulates 90%.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
b4black said:
ULSD's real benefit is to 2007 engines with Diesel Particuate Filters, which will reduce particulates 90%.
IMHO, ULSD's real benefit is running the car on the fuel which it was designed for with less intake clogging and lower emissions to boot.

Again, in my opinion, a ULSD-Biodiesel blend is perhaps the best fuel one could run in a TDI - all the benefits of ULSD and biodiesel in one tank.

scurvy

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
b4black-
I'll take your word on the 10% particulate reduction, but IMO less soot will lead to less intake clogging, as well as reduced ring deposits and cleaner injectors. Its all good.

DL7265

TDI
2006 TDI Shadow Blue PK2 DSG
ArmedForcesForums.com said:
Please note, I am a newbie: I've owned the car for less than two weeks & yes I know how to use the search button :)

In addition, due to living is South, FL anytime a Hurricane comes the only fuel available is Diesel @ Truck stops. This is due to the fact that every man / woman / & child / gets 55 gallon drums of gas to fill their SUV.

Well you need Diesel "fuel" So the gas hogs shouldn't bother you...:D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
scurvy said:
The "car" pumps and the "semi" pumps more than likely both have fuel that come out of the same underground tank. If the car pump said 15ppm, I'm guessing that they haven't gotten around to labeling the stickers on the semi pumps to reflect the lower level of sulfur.
This is very likely true. ULSD is a plus for TDI owners, but truckers are concerned that they will get lower fuel economy. So until the October 15th deadline, when all stations will have to post the correct ULSD stickers on their pumps, that station is pretending that it's got the older LSD fuel.

Logismoi

Veteran Member
TDI
PD
TornadoRed said:
This is very likely true. ULSD is a plus for TDI owners, but truckers are concerned that they will get lower fuel economy. So until the October 15th deadline, when all stations will have to post the correct ULSD stickers on their pumps, that station is pretending that it's got the older LSD fuel.
1/2 of the fuel stations --when asked-- are "like, huh?"

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, please recall that LSD will be available for sale until 2010. I just don't know what sort of retail outlets will sell it. Perhaps large truck stops?

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
ArmedForcesForums.com said:

Regardless here is my question:

I filled up my car for the 1st time last night at a local South, FL Shell Station.

The station happened to have the combo Diesel/Gas Pumps under the regular car port. Thus, I filled up my Jetta there. However, I noticed they also had the 18wheeler pumps out back.

I noted that the pump I was filling up on had the 15ppm sticker. While walking to the 18wheeler pumps I noted a 500ppm sticker.

Does it make a difference which pump I use? Pros or cons for either 15ppm vs. 500ppm. I assume 15ppm is the NEW Diesel standard & is better?

So if I am forced to fill up at a Diesel Truck stop, is that okay for my car?

Sorry for the more than likely dumbest question you've ever heard from a newbie...

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I don't think I can every own another "gasser"... 520 miles on 13 gallons of gas. 40MPG...A/C on 24/7 with 90+ Temps here in FL
Its a darned good question, some of us might know, other not or not sure, so, good for you for asking.

Keep in mind that the LSD label says it is 500ppm OR LESS.

The could have a separate tank and using it a way to sell non ULSD fuel, which could be anywhere form 16ppm to 500ppm

When we got the Passat, we had 1,000ppm allowed up here (long story about rotten North Slope oil, lots of sulfur and an exemption for Alaska from 500).

For a trip it will be just fine, and it seemed that the mix between ULSD and our rotgut got better fuel mileage (the winter stuff we have now has definitely dropped it).

If you run it a lot, you should put something like Racor Conditioner Plus in it to keep the smoking down (1 oz treats 20 gallons).

testy_SOB

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 1998, Red
b4black said:
10% less particualtes on ULSD - not that big of a deal. I wouldn't go out of my way to find ULSD. Use whatever is cheaper and more convienent.

Looking at my second PAIN in the A$$ Intake cleaning I also will encourage the newbie to establish a preference for ULSD. I agree that it may not be worth driving all over creation to find it. But if it is readily available then I encourage developing a ULSD habit. And it's better for the environment to boot.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
One thing to note. You have an 06 a5 jetta. From what i have read you can't eassly use the big truckstop pumps. I have read that you can stand there and try to trickle it in, but it isn't eassy.