Update GPS map nightmare

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Well this is one for the books,, I called Here Navigation to ask about when the latest maps are out,, The girl first had no idea that Canada was part of North America. and that she only had North America maps, and that you had to get them at a dealer,, BUT Not one of 5 dealers I called, had any idea that they sold the cards. and VW Canada was un aware as well...
has anyone seen if a 2017 update is out yet?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
In Canada smartphone data is our main industry and is supporting the entire economy of the country. Using Google maps could get expensive.

Canadians know what I'm talking about.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
After hearing about the nightmares friends have had with VW map updates, I didn't get Nav in our GSW. Sticking with our Garmin that has free lifetime updates for NA, as well as EU/UK for when we travel. It usually informs me of updated map availability a couple of times a year.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
In Canada smartphone data is our main industry and is supporting the entire economy of the country. Using Google maps could get expensive.
Google maps lets you download offline maps directly to your phone for use without data! Download it on wifi and you're good to go. I did this for the first time last summer while on vacation in the british virgin islands and it was a life saver.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^ If everyone did that then Canada's economy would collapse and we'd all have to hunt for food and gather wood for heat.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From the google maps site

"Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be updated at least every 30 days. When your offline maps expire in 15 days or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when you're connected to Wi-Fi."

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I downloaded 3 offline maps a year and a half ago and have not actively updated them a single time. Looks like google maps has been updating them automatically the whole time and I still have access to my local area map, and two maps from the virgin islands. As long as auto update over wifi is active you should be fine.