236mm Aluminum Block 1.9/2.0 TDI.

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Hi Everyone,
I need TDIClub's help sourcing either the origin or part # for this motor.
I know about the 220mm aluminum blocks from Europe found in the MK5 2.0 FSI (N/A) etc but this is not that block. The ribbing based on the pictures is completely different to an AXW/BLR motor.

This motor popped up on my radar a few years ago and the seller was unable to provide me with the information relating to the motor.

This was the original link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Diesel-T...de-AJM-complete-NEW-NEW-/110663799223?afsrc=1

The images have been gone but the description is still there.I managed to save the images before the were deleted and this is what I do have:

This is what I do know:

• VW Industrial source
  • 236mm deck height
  • Aluminum block
  • NOT AJM engine code
VW Marine & VW industrial have been unable to help with its origin.

I have spoken to forum guru's (Ryan P. / Chris E. etc) and we are all stumped.
Any help would be appreciated. There is a reward for the person that can identify or point me in the direction of securing of these unicorns.
Thanks!

:D

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
That looks like a 3 cyl diesel engine, as fitted to the polo tdi, i would look there first...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely not cr but pd... One of my mates has one 2003 polo tdi, 1.4 engine, it looks the same, i can take pictures next year time i look at it !

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The only aluminum-blocked 3-cylinder PD TDIs were the ones used in the 1.2 liter displacement 3L Lupo. All 1.4s have cast-iron blocks. There is a CR version of the same 1.2L TDI that retains the aluminum block and finds application in the Polo Bluemotion, but the engine code is too old to be CR, and it's definitely not a CR pictured anyway, as others have already pointed out. Not boding well for the seller not to know what he has on his hands - I do know who it is though - Parts Place Auburn Hills, MI.

Edit: Obtain SSP #218 and 223 for more info on this motor.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
That engine looks like it's painted silver , however the most 1.4 tdi i have seen especially the ones in the mk5 polo look the same...
231419823065 ebay item is a vw polo AMF engine code...

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
That engine looks like it's painted silver , however the most 1.4 tdi i have seen especially the ones in the mk5 polo look the same...
231419823065 ebay item is a vw polo AMF engine code...
The engine in the picture above is a 1.4 TDI engine and no it is not painted silver , however, not the motor I am looking for. I posted it to show that a 236mm deck height diesel block is available.
There is a 1.9 or 2.0 TDI (PD) that is 236mm deck height , I simply can't find it.Here is another photo of the EA288 Amarok motor with an aluminum block coming out in 2015.

Knowing Volkswagen , a 236mm deck height block exists in 4 cylinder format.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah but they are all CR, the engine you posted the pic is definitely a pd 1.4 engine, there is no alloy block that i know off diesel engine unless someone has mated a cr1.2 tdi engine block with a pd 1.4 head and i don't know if that will work... I would not trust the original vendor's ebay description as he clearly does not know what it was selling at the time... Engine code is stamped on the head on every vag lump so if he was familiar with thrm then it would have mentioned in the listing...

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Yeah but they are all CR, the engine you posted the pic is definitely a pd 1.4 engine, there is no alloy block that i know off diesel engine unless someone has mated a cr1.2 tdi engine block with a pd 1.4 head and i don't know if that will work...
The only aluminum-blocked 3-cylinder PD TDIs were the ones used in the 1.2 liter displacement 3L Lupo.
The engine in the pic could be a 1.2 (AYZ)

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A8 with 1.2 TDI VW Lupo 3L --> 2L (retired)
That is lupo 1.2 tdi pump duse engine 61 hp and 140 nm from stock In picture ANY, AYZ is model from 2001- the turbo inlet pipe is little different. You can identify it from the thick flywheel which is only used in those ANY, AYZ, models to fit inside 085 gearbox. The 1.4 TDI fits 02J type gearboxes and have different flywheel for that reason. 1.4 TDI is also with steel block.

With ecu remap max is about 90 hp and 250 Nm. With bigger injectors and turbo I had 120 hp and 280 Nm. Limiting factor for the torgue was the weak 085 gearbox. For power it was the BV35 turbo which is at its limits at 120 Hp.

Next years target is set to 144 Hp and 350 Nm or broken engine installed in my Audi A8. Engine weigths about 110-125 kg depending which parts you count in to engine.

More details about the 1.2 TDI and 1.4 TDI engines from vw spp 223

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Could be ATL engine from Audi A2.
On pictures can't be AMF because these have wastegate turbo.

ATL = 90hp 1.4L , 3Cyl with VNT Turbo and AFAIK aluminium engine for the lightweight A2 concept.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
I would not trust the original vendor's ebay description as he clearly does not know what it was selling at the time...
No he did not. The other images in the ebay add were of a 4 cylinder Aluminum block motor. Thank you for the feedback so far but I am not interested in the 3 cylinder . I am interested in the 4 cylinder motor.

Maybe a T5 or T6 or even a forklift had this 1.9/2.0 SDI or TDI with the aluminum block?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Every literature I've seen to date - which is a lot - says that there are no aluminum-blocked 4-cylinder TDIs - yet. The PD R5 TDI had an aluminum block.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Every literature I've seen to date - which is a lot - says that there are no aluminum-blocked 4-cylinder TDIs - yet. The PD R5 TDI had an aluminum block.
Don't go based off the literature.Literature also said that the MK5 was the first to use an aluminum block when that was not the case. Aluminum 4 cylinder blocks exist but only in 220mm deck height which I allready have.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I'm talking about 4-cylinder TDI blocks in aluminum, Issam. Is that not what you're asking about?? If you know of any in any block height, let us know on what engine codes... Good luck on your search. Later!

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
I'm talking about 4-cylinder TDI blocks in aluminum, Issam. Is that not what you're asking about?? If you know of any in any block height, let us know on what engine codes... Good luck on your search. Later!
BLR / AXW / BLX are all Aluminum 220mm deck height but Gasoline only.
236mm would mean diesel which I am not able to find even after seeing pictures of it.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
And I'm telling you there aren't any VAG aluminum Diesel blocks except for the ones already noted. But hey, keep looking, they'll turn up. Eventually. :rolleyes:

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A8 with 1.2 TDI VW Lupo 3L --> 2L (retired)
Just took a second look of the first pictures and the fan isnt from the 1.2 TDI ANY or AYZ models as they have only electric fans :/. Otherwise it looks damn close to those lupo 3l engine and I would say on 4 years experience from these 1.2 TDIs that its a 3 pot version as its not as wide as 4 pot versions IMO and based on my own pictures.

Maybe some prototype which was with different kind of fan for that marine applications...

1.2 TDI ANY and AYZ block heigth is 280mm, just measured it.

That story which the seller wrote was maybe to avoid some illegal prosecutions from US goverment as if I have understood correctly you should not have those 1.2 TDI engines in US soil as its so harmful to your car manufacturers :D

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Just took a second look of the first pictures and the fan isnt from the 1.2 TDI ANY or AYZ models as they have only electric fans :/. Otherwise it looks damn close to those lupo 3l models as its not as wide as 4 pot versions IMO. Maybe some prototypes which first were with different kind of fans etc.
It said in the advert the fan is an add on and not original to the crate engine... unfortunately Isaam was confusing everyone when he mentioned he's on the look out of a 4 cylinder engine when the posted pictures were of a 3 cyl pd engine !
As mentioned above, there's no vw tdi engine i know of in 4 cylinder flavor with an alloy block that was sold in uk but when i hear of one i sure will let you know !

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
And I'm telling you there aren't any VAG aluminum Diesel blocks except for the ones already noted.
No need to roll your eyes. Half the parts I have discovered never made it onto ETKA. It exists , I was just hoping members here would have been able to help.