02' Jetta TDI Nozzles for smoke with stock setup

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Just Maybe?

He will "Roll Some Coal" and a "Royal Canadian Police" will "Roll Up On Him" and force him to have his car fixed so it will only Roll Tires not Coal.

TurnerBFC

TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I did my own research, got the nozzles, and now it smokes. My questioned was asked and answered. Thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to buy one of those knock off turbos while I still can...I want it to blow up asap right?

nick1rankin

TDI
jetta
What's the deal with the hating on smoke. I know smoke is wasted fuel in some cases but if you want power smoke is,going to be there obviously.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Because smoke is obnoxious, rude, and harmful to others. The idiots who drive around in lifted pickups with garbage cans out of the bed spewing huge amounts of black smoke is likely the reason we need to have DPFs on our cars now and destroyed the diesel image. Really pisses me off.

There is really no upside having a diesel produce excessive smoke. It does have a bunch of downsides.

A proper setup can produce plenty of power smoke free.

cgingrich

TDI
2003 Jetta, 1999 24v
Because smoke is obnoxious, rude, and harmful to others. The idiots who drive around in lifted pickups with garbage cans out of the bed spewing huge amounts of black smoke is likely the reason we need to have DPFs on our cars now and destroyed the diesel image. Really pisses me off.

There is really no upside having a diesel produce excessive smoke. It does have a bunch of downsides.

A proper setup can produce plenty of power smoke free.
While I agree intentionally rolling coal is not cool and way to many d bags are rolling around in jacked up trucks blowing smoke on priuses, and that is a major reason the epa has gotten all over the diesel industry, not all diesel trucks are so easily smoke free and make power. Though there are ways of doing it, most people are not interested in spending the cash to do it. Besides the fact that there are benefits of diesels producing excessive smoke.

My favourite is the trucks idling at a light throwing so much smoke they block out the sun.

My 24v has relatively small injectors and hazes at idle. How am I supposed to get around that?

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
My 24v has relatively small injectors and hazes at idle. How am I supposed to get around that?
Most around here aren't a light haze. :eek:

One Duramax yesterday was smoky enough to taste it inside my van. It was beat to crap exterior-wise, but jacked right up of course :(

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What's the deal with the hating on smoke. I know smoke is wasted fuel in some cases but if you want power smoke is,going to be there obviously.
Advertising for the greenies.
Gives them something to point at and say "look there, we need stricter diesel emissions regs"

In short, the ****stain bros that 'roll coal' are ruining everything for those who actually wish to have a properly running engine not ****ted up by emissions garbage.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Bigger injection pump elements. More violent cam in the IP. Marine pistons to match the 155 degree injectors you may have installed.
ETA: freshened up delivery valves

Many different solutions for many possible problems. Realistically, a little smoke doesn't hurt anything, the A'hats that do it on purpose cause a bad image for those that end up with a little bit of smoke from mechanical limitations.

Last edited:

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
It is a 99, how many miles on the injectors and truck? It may benefit from a refreshed set. I know my 12V cleaned up some at idle with fresh injectors.

cgingrich

TDI
2003 Jetta, 1999 24v
Bigger injection pump elements. More violent cam in the IP. Marine pistons to match the 155 degree injectors you may have installed.
ETA: freshened up delivery valves

Many different solutions for many possible problems. Realistically, a little smoke doesn't hurt anything, the A'hats that do it on purpose cause a bad image for those that end up with a little bit of smoke from mechanical limitations.
And all those modifications aren't very common and very expensive. I would be ahead to sell my truck and go buy a common rail but I want an older truck for a number of reasons.

It is a 99, how many miles on the injectors and truck? It may benefit from a refreshed set. I know my 12V cleaned up some at idle with fresh injectors.
235,000 miles on the truck. 8,000 on the injection pump. 3,000 on the injectors. The truck definitely runs smoother with new injectors but 7x12s aren't the cleanest.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
And all those modifications aren't very common and very expensive. I would be ahead to sell my truck and go buy a common rail but I want an older truck for a number of reasons.
You asked how to get around it.
Bigger injection pump hardware isn't common?
Repairing basic issues with the running condition of the motor is not common?

If the smoke started with the injectors and they are the proper 145 degree spray angle, it's probably just that the injection duration is too long, meaning that the injection pressure doesn't get high enough to properly atomize the fuel.

Bigger elements or a quicker ramp rate on the cam would shorten the injection duration and raise the peak injection pressure. (as well as getting you more fuel when getting on it)

cgingrich

TDI
2003 Jetta, 1999 24v
There is basically one company that has an upgraded vp44. And that flows 150% over a stock pump. That isn't going to help clean my truck up. Never mind the fact it doesn't play nice with pressure/timing programmers and isn't a pump to daily drive with. The life of the pump is greatly shortened due to everything working harder. Also everyone forget vp44 trucks. The design of the pump sucks. If you want to make power you either buy a common rail, p pump a 24v, or just buy a 12v. So if you know someone who makes upgraded pumps or tweaks them let me know. Good like finding someone who will do it for cheaper than swapping to a p pump.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
There is basically one company that has an upgraded vp44. And that flows 150% over a stock pump. That isn't going to help clean my truck up. Never mind the fact it doesn't play nice with pressure/timing programmers and isn't a pump to daily drive with. The life of the pump is greatly shortened due to everything working harder. Also everyone forget vp44 trucks. The design of the pump sucks. If you want to make power you either buy a common rail, p pump a 24v, or just buy a 12v. So if you know someone who makes upgraded pumps or tweaks them let me know. Good like finding someone who will do it for cheaper than swapping to a p pump.
Huh, I thought I heard somewhere that the 24v trucks came with a P pump.
Maybe they meant 24 volt, as in medium duty. :p

Didn't make much sense to me as they'd have been going backwards to a pump without dynamic timing advance. Cool for a puller, not so much for a street truck.

My brain's more in the world of the 2 stroke detroit. Still no dynamic timing advance, though.