Inexpensive ALH downpipe on ebay.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Its in!

Looks pretty nice for the price IMO. Getting nuts on the studs should be cake. I have some 2000*F header paint that I am going to paint it with and hopefully make it last longer. The flex is pretty flexible unlike some I have seen. I had the end squished so it can be bolted to the stock catback for now.

Also forgot to mention that I see no reason it could not be used on a BEW if you weld in a bung for the 02 sensor.

MRFire

TDI
2000 Golf 4door
Looks nice! Did you get the 2.5" with the resonator built in? I want to get one also but I hear with a DP the VNT15 has some boost creep issues.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Its not a resonator or much of anything. There is nothing inside, just straight pipe. I think its supposed to "look" like something that is supposed to be in its place. ;)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks nice! Did you get the 2.5" with the resonator built in? I want to get one also but I hear with a DP the VNT15 has some boost creep issues.
KP39 has the creep issues. I have never heard of a VNT15 with creep but I guess if you fuel it heavy enough and have a wide open exhaust, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on boost.

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
IMO , even the "ugly" down pipe is prettier. Looks like some boogered up weld jobs to me, but it'll probably do the job. You get what you pay for, buy once, cry once.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
IMO , even the "ugly" down pipe is prettier. Looks like some boogered up weld jobs to me, but it'll probably do the job. You get what you pay for, buy once, cry once.
I really can care less how it "looks". Its an exhaust for a 13 year old car with 300K miles on it that will just get blasted with salt for the rest of its life.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Is the flange flat? does not appear it was surface ground after welding.

nvhguy

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Would you mind posting some feedback about the downpipes? (Noise level, mpg, power etc). I am tempting to get the same pipe for my bone stock 01 golf tdi :)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, its in! I would give fitment a B or so. I had an issue with the front hanger rubbing the metal mount which gave huge amounts of noise and vibration in the cabin. So I took a crescent wrench and bent it slightly away from the mount and problem solved. Still does not sit 100% perfect in the mounts but its good enough for me. The flex came pretty close to the floorpan but does not touch at all.It also came with a new flange gasket which was nice. Connected right up to the stock catback no problem.

I also painted it with ultra high temp(2000*F) paint to try and keep the rust off of it. So far its seems to be holding up fine. From my research it seems that people always have trouble painting exhaust systems.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Have you noticed any difference without the cat? Any sound difference? Do you still have the original muffler installed?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my cat fell off a long time ago so I really can't answer that question too well.;)

Yes, stock catback with stock muffler. Center hanger is rotted off and the rear hanger is rigged up with a muffler clamp. Really want the full system from the seller but $$$ is holding me back.

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
94006D is a diesel cat. I've found it to be a little tight in my exhaust tunnel. It'll fit. But there's not much wiggle room to avoid vibration. I think the 54105D is a good alternative. It's about an inch narrower.

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG
I emailed the ebay seller and they confirmed it is the 94006D for diesel applications. This is the same part number of the units being sold by IDParts and if it wasn't for diesel applications you can bet IDParts would not be selling it....

StealthTDI - Appreciate your bringing up that this 2.5" unit is tight in the tunnel. However, it looks like the other part number you provided is a 2.25" system which would be an issue with installing a 2.5" downpipe.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
KP39 has the creep issues. I have never heard of a VNT15 with creep but I guess if you fuel it heavy enough and have a wide open exhaust, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on boost.
I have experienced some boost creep with a stock VNT-15 and a, er, um, free flowing DP. I keep an eye on boost and plan on discussing with my tuner of choice once I put in my new VNT-15.