VR6/G60 Clutch Question.

TimDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
A year or so ago I got a VR6/G60 clutch kit installed on my 02 ALH. With my stock clutch I could just let off the clutch pedal with no gas pedal and she would start moving just fine. Since this install, if I try to ease off the pedal (I wasn't popping the clutch or anything before just letting the diesel torque do the work) the car gets real jumpy and I have to push the clutch back in and play with it a bit, if I rev it up to say 1500rpm maybe higher than let off the clutch at that rpm it will take off smooth, shifting while in motion is smooth as well. Just wondering if this is something to do with the clutch being from a gasser and needing some revs to get 'er going or maybe I got a faulty one or bad install. It's been in a while and it bugs me most days but by the end of the day I usually have forgotten about it, just ordered a new exhaust from buzzken and the clutch came back to memory while I was on the board. Long winded post thanks for your time guys.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
Because single mass.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Could be that the flywheel has some imperfection, I have the same clutch but so far it's always been smooth without any throttle.

TimDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Very interesting, I wonder what it could be. Also after it is warmed up it doesn't seem to have much of a problem.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe it's just the cold, pretty cold where you are isn't it? I'm only getting my info from watching tv though lol

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
That's strange, my setup is exactly the same, and it behaves very nice and normal. I can get the car moving with just the clutch pedal if I wanted to, in 1st, 2nd, and even in 3rd without rattling.

I also had the car in Colorado last year during the "polar vortex" and it behaved just fine at -20 deg C. (Started very difficult, but that's something else)

Only some minor quiet chatter-like noise while idling in neutral.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
That's strange, my setup is exactly the same, and it behaves very nice and normal. I can get the car moving with just the clutch pedal if I wanted to, in 1st, 2nd, and even in 3rd without rattling.

I also had the car in Colorado last year during the "polar vortex" and it behaved just fine at -20 deg C. (Started very difficult, but that's something else)

Only some minor quiet chatter-like noise while idling in neutral.
Concur with this post. My G60 install was a night-and-day improvement over the DMF that I had installed before...in fact, I can't remember any time that I've stalled the car since I installed the SMF (I used to stall almost daily with the stock DMF setup).

I don't know what went wrong with your setup but it is definitely not normal...

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I would go back and check to see what weight G60 flywheel came with your kit, if it is lighter than 21lbs that could cause your problem.

TimDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Just had it replaced not to long ago, shifted hard off the line one day heard a good thump. Resulted in a weird clunk the odd shift and start.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I have the same combination and it has done that for years. It also rattles like crazy at idle. Big mistake in my book.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Did you replace the dogbone with stock or aftermarket? Engine mounts make all the difference with clutch engagement into first gear.

TimDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I believe it was stock, my mechanic replaced it, only way we found out the dogbone was the problem was they hoisted the car with me in it, he got me to start the car and low and behold heard the clunk. After a few more starts located the clunk and he replaced it with me in the air. Figure it's stock though he knows I'm cheap lol. Might be worth getting a better mount to see if that eradicates the problem. Got suggestions on a good AM dogbone?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
Febi makes a good one for decent prices ($30-$40), Lemforder makes excellent ones (as always in everything) for about $80 usd.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've had single mass flywheels in my '02 on and off since 100K. G60/VR6 with stock weight flywheel from 100K to 177K, and SBC Stage 2 Endurance from 270K to 292K. Now Stage 2 Daily. All have been the same, I can go up through the gears without touching the accelerator and the engine won't stall. I think there's something amiss with clutch, flywheel, or install.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could it be anything to do with fueling? Not sure on you OP but I think most of us have bigger injectors as well as other mods and maybe it's the extras that make our cars smoother? Just a thought.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
I slapped a vr6 clutch last month in the Jetta. Works perfect. 0 shuttering. I take off with no fuel all the time. Hot or cold. Shifts like a brand new car. Zero complaints. None of this chatter everyone talks about. New OEM dogbone, as old one didn't survive surgery. Takes the abuse, and doesn't say diddley.

Got a stage3 Malone tune last Thursday. It ain't complaining about it either.

The wife's neck is complaining tho, ahahaha.

I've already slapped 15000km on the new clutch.

If your clutch aint smooth, I'd suspect something's up too.

TimDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info guys, good to know it's not just in my head that something is up. As far as I know the only thing the car has is a tune, maybe just some parameters were changed to give it some more power, got a boost gauge and full throtle levels at about 15psi with a decent amount of smoke in lower RPM, as the RPM's increase the smoke starts to calm down. Traded an Integra GSR for the Jetta few years ago, guy I traded for said there was more done to it than what actually was so not entirely sure what has been done. The car is still very driveable and clutch is manageable just would like to figure out why I get that chatter when taking off in first with no fuel.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
I slapped a vr6 clutch last month in the Jetta. Works perfect. 0 shuttering. I take off with no fuel all the time. Hot or cold. Shifts like a brand new car. Zero complaints. None of this chatter everyone talks about. New OEM dogbone, as old one didn't survive surgery. Takes the abuse, and doesn't say diddley.

Got a stage3 Malone tune last Thursday. It ain't complaining about it either.

The wife's neck is complaining tho, ahahaha.

I've already slapped 15000km on the new clutch.

If your clutch aint smooth, I'd suspect something's up too.

It starts having a very mild chatter in a few months after install. At least that's when mine started. But it's nothing major (barely audible, you need a high index of suspicion to really hear it), more like a resonance from the idling engine. It's only apparent when it idles with the clutch up, and the sound goes away when you press the clutch. However starting off, and switching through gears is completely wonderful.

Last edited:

TimDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Figured I'd post a follow up, just had new suspension installed in the front, so far the problem has disappeared. Broken spring and two worn out shocks. At the same time I installed a turbo back Buzzken exhaust, maybe it was a combination of the front getting tightened up and a light increase in power, everything works as advertised now.

Last edited: