eBay Connecting Rods.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
spec for AAZ, AHU, 1Z connecting rod radial clearance. Plastigauge
Brand new 0.0004-0.0024"
Wear limit 0.0031"
As well checking torque and assembly torque are very different. Both are 22ft/lbs but assembly is an additional 1/4 turn.
This is quoted from Bentley manual.
No specification at all is given for taper.

GOTADUB

TDI
2002 golf
So I talked to the machine shop that I'll be using for my build today. We got on the toppic of rods being undersized or out of round ect he said he has had to resize tons of aftermarket rods from small name companies,chinies rods and even the big name big dollar rods. He said he would not install any aftermarket rod without measuring the big ends. So I think the fact that the eBay rods might need some work sound pretty normal. How many of the people on here bashing the eBay rods are haveing there rods check by a machine shop ? Do you know for sure your big dollar rods are perfect or just assumed since you paid a lot you got perfect rods? The shop I'm using is a diesel specialty shop and builds some of the fasted duramaxes and has been featured in a few diesel magazines for there crazy builds. So I pretty confident in the info he has provided me

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
All the IE rods I've used are within tolerance. The Pauter rods I've used were all within tolerance, same with Cunningham the one set of chinese rods I've used one was twisted significantly. Maybe it was a fluke maybe not I don't know.

The OP asked for questions/comments and people are giving those yet, some seem to be arguing those with experience.

Its your money buy whatever rod you want, you will be the one paying for the rod and any issues it may cause.

Last edited:

GOTADUB

TDI
2002 golf
It's not arguing just the question has been asked many times in this post about people measuring the name brand rods and that seems to be when this post goes quiet.

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 mk3 jetta 2003 mk4 wagon
So I talked to the machine shop that I'll be using for my build today. We got on the toppic of rods being undersized or out of round ect he said he has had to resize tons of aftermarket rods from small name companies,chinies rods and even the big name big dollar rods. He said he would not install any aftermarket rod without measuring the big ends. So I think the fact that the eBay rods might need some work sound pretty normal. How many of the people on here bashing the eBay rods are haveing there rods check by a machine shop ? Do you know for sure your big dollar rods are perfect or just assumed since you paid a lot you got perfect rods? The shop I'm using is a diesel specialty shop and builds some of the fasted duramaxes and has been featured in a few diesel magazines for there crazy builds. So I pretty confident in the info he has provided me
This is the exact same story I got from my machine shop, and they are a reputable shop that is well versed in high performance marine diesel applications.