'96 Passat: Looking for trailer hitch for my super dinky motorcycle trailer....

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
I'm shopping for a trailer hitch for my 1996 B4V Passat Wagon so I can pull my little super light motorcycle trailer.
I'd really really really like one with a 2' receiver because my trailer has a slightly funky tongue that fits that style. so far I can only find the smaller 1 1/4” receivers.
Does anyone have a favorite brand? I have a trip coming up in 10 days, and hope to have something ready to go by then...

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
It's for a 700 mile round trip, and if I have to I can drive my Land Cruiser, which has a nice motorcycle bumper carrier.... though it will cost about $150 more in fuel costs... ��

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Other than custom, I don’t think you’ll find a 2” receiver. I’ve seen adapters, in case you have the factory 1.25” receiver.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There’s a factory hitch, but it’s only 1.25”.

I think Dave (on here) used to build 2”, but I don’t think he ever made them for the wagon.

You’re on a time crunch, so your best bet may be to buy new, but you’ll probably never find 2”.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You actually are required by DOT to have the correct size hitch for the tow rating of your car. If anything was to happen at all while towing, and your running a aftermarket ( not from the factory) hitch, your insurance will not cover it and you can be liable 100% for any thing that happens. I've heard cases of insurance dropping the client for stuff like this, improper hookup, not proper rated chains and such. Hauling isn't difficult. I know its custom and 2" would be best for you bit your car is not rated for such and honestly to do it proper is to modify your hitch and not the receiver. You wont be able to rent anything too, if you do and it's not rated correctly it will be bad news with fines possible.
Food for thought.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
You actually are required by DOT to have the correct size hitch for the tow rating of your car. If anything was to happen at all while towing, and your running a aftermarket ( not from the factory) hitch, your insurance will not cover it and you can be liable 100% for any thing that happens. I've heard cases of insurance dropping the client for stuff like this, improper hookup, not proper rated chains and such. Hauling isn't difficult. I know its custom and 2" would be best for you bit your car is not rated for such and honestly to do it proper is to modify your hitch and not the receiver. You wont be able to rent anything too, if you do and it's not rated correctly it will be bad news with fines possible.
Food for thought.
Good thoughts. Thanks!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I should be clear, i mean to say that "If anything was to happen at all while towing, and your running a aftermarket ( not from the factory) hitch that is not in compliance with DOT regulations and exceeds the rating of the ability of the cars towing abilities, your insurance will not cover it and you can be liable 100% for any thing that happens.

sorry if i was not clear.

Im usually one to do jank stuff, but this is one area i would make sure is 100% done properly.
What motorcycle do you ride or are you going to take? (fellow rider myself)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Not necessarily. First, insurance will try and drop or deny you for ANY reason. Second, all the manufacturer has to do is label it accordingly. I found a 2” class I hitch for my Kia Optima so I can use a bike rack. It’s labeled as such and while my car isn’t rated for towing and thus against the manufacturer specifications, lots of companies make a class I for it, just in 1.25” and not 2”. A bike or hitch rack doesn’t mean I’m towing.

Rapidrob

Veteran Member
TDI
96' Passat Wagon
I've been towing a trailer since I bought my TDI Wagon in'96. Towing a ton has never been a problem, but never in the snow/ice.
I got my hitch from U-Haul and it bolted right up.

You WILL need the electrical conversion device to go to your trailer lights.
No big deal if you can read,you can install it.
I have never had any problems, burned clutch,can't stop,etc.
I use my two trailers several times a month. I tow my off-road scooter all over the state.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
correct, if its rated properly and has been installed to a specification that has been approved for DOT, then its fine. but if it is NOT, well, just don't have any thing go wrong lol or it will cost you big time, especially if someone else is involved.
i have seen MANY accidents due to improper rating, hook up, load distribution and they all end up is a total loss at highway speeds, most of the time.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Rock Auto has hitches listed for the B4, made by Curt, but they don't distinguish whether it's for sedan or wagon. I have been watching them for a while now thinking I'd like to have one installed on the B3V so I can pull small utility trailer sometimes.

Even considered having one built locally that could be installed in place of the rear bumper, using the bumper mountings, but that would make for a lot of work just to use the trailer for a morning or so.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s a sedan hitch. All options are the same hitch with different draw bar assemblies. That 2” euro ball caught my eye.

My wagon has the factory hitch and I always found it annoying when it’d scrape going up/down the driveway. I always thought the receiver should be mounted higher (hidden), and accessed through an access panel.

I never used it, but always thought about dragging Rabbits home with it.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That’s a sedan hitch. All options are the same hitch with different draw bar assemblies. That 2” euro ball caught my eye.

My wagon has the factory hitch and I always found it annoying when it’d scrape going up/down the driveway. I always thought the receiver should be mounted higher (hidden), and accessed through an access panel.

I never used it, but always thought about dragging Rabbits home with it.

-Todd
Me too.

Steve