New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
^nice, my third tdi is a mk4 vwv ‘00 golf 2dr alh 360k

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hi,

I am a new member and proud owner of a 2013 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen. This TDI is in excellent condition with only 48,000 kms. I am trying to make sure that it lasts so I spent the weekend rustproofing the car by spraying Krown rustproofing. I removed all of the inner fender liners, the 2 underfloor panels and the front bumper so I could spray underneath them. I am now a lot more familiar with the car then when I started. :)

After I was finished I noticed a small black object laying on the ground where I was working on the car. It must have fallen out when I removed one of the panels but I have no idea what it is or where it was hiding. If anyone can figure out what this mystery object is I would really appreciate help in identifying it. All I can say about it is that it is completely sealed and has a wire on one end which seems to not have been attached to anything. It is wrapped with body caulking which would have held it in place until I removed what ever panel it was hiding under.

I am not sure how to attach a photo so you can see a photo of the mystery object on this webpage - http://bristolhops.ca/images/VW_TDI/thingamajig.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Richard, if it came from the area of front bumper removal, it might be the OTS, or outdoor temperature sensor. The one on the MkIV looks similar, if slightly smaller. I don't know the location on the MkVI, but previous versions were hidden behind the front bumper cover, and could easily pop out of their "holder." The MkIV also was attached by only a single wire, similar to the picture you linked.

hondo73

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Hello! I'm a new owner of a CPO 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I just picked it up this past Saturday. I love the car so far. My wife isn't a fan of the color (Toffee Brown) though. The dealer experience left a lot to be desired, but that's a long story that only has a little bit to do with the Sportwagen. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to sharing my TDI journey with all of you.

Mike

mudman33

TDI
Mk6 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello! I'm a new owner of a CPO 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I just picked it up this past Saturday. I love the car so far. My wife isn't a fan of the color (Toffee Brown) though. The dealer experience left a lot to be desired, but that's a long story that only has a little bit to do with the Sportwagen. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to sharing my TDI journey with all of you.

Mike

Same for me! The dealer was a bit of a letdown.

Zachbrown

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Hey there! I'm a new to the TDI community and recently bought a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen. I'm loving the car and the great gas mileage, but am looking for a little more fun. I'm currently looking at KermaTDI's flash tune and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I'm also looking for advice on other upgrades what to do with the car down the road.

Thanks for any help and being so accepting towards us noobs.
Zach

Last edited:

LeslieCapeCod

TDI
'14 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello All! My first post! I'm beyond excited to be picking up a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI tomorrow. It is candy white with beige interior, sunroof/nav, 17' wheels and only 8,500 miles! It's CPO with 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. I paid $13,500 not including trade-in. I'm new to diesels but not new to VW, having owned a Golf and 2 Passats. The saleswomen said people come from around the country to buy these cars and that there is a cult following. That was news to me and I think I've found the "cult" ;). I was just looking for a dependable vehicle with room and good gas mileage that wouldn't break the bank. I'm now thinking I've gotten SO much more!

Looking forward to learning from all of you....I might even "gasp" try maintaining the car myself!

Leslie, Cape Cod Massachusetts

dirtyiron

TDI
12 Toureg

Thanks for the ad.
I have recently purchased a 2012 Touareg.
This is my first VW and diesel, so check those boxes.
We really enjoy it and I hope to learn much about mine.

KG4BHR

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6M
Hey all, just found this thread.
Just bought a 2011 Golf TDI 6M
Love it so far.
Already has 2micron containment and pure flow [emoji106]

Are there any other Amateur radio operators here?

Looking forward to learning as much about this car as I can.

Shawn
Albertville, AL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jcadcars

TDI
2001 Beetle
New member from Washington state

Hello all. Thought I should join the club for the knowledge and ideas. Have a 2001 tdi beetle. Lifted on H&R dune buggy coil-overs, stage one malone tune, new stage one clutch. Still getting car sorted but drive it most days. Need to install diesel geek skid plate. Love the car but probably going for more power soon.

Once I get the photo to load I will show the car :)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOgfx0ebv24GeB6vQzfVkT1bkr4VRaR01PGMVwb

Last edited:

Mike_in_PA

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon Candy White
New signup from PA, long term beneficiary

Hey Dieselers,
Thanks for all the invaluable maintenance info over the years!
I am bringing my 2005 Jetta wagon out of semi-retirement at 84k miles, and I will no doubt make abundant use of the generously provided resources herein in the years ahead.
Mike

Nikpage

TDI
Hello everyone! I'm Sergey from Belarus! The City Of Gomel! Built on the basis of the diesel VW Touareg GP 3.0 TDI with a power of 400hp and 800 nm. And with my friend, built a 1.9 TDI ASZ in a Seat Ibiza car. Please tell me in which Department I could place a report on our car, and get some advice about our car? Thank you!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hello everyone! I'm Sergey from Belarus! The City Of Gomel! Built on the basis of the diesel VW Touareg GP 3.0 TDI with a power of 400hp and 800 nm. And with my friend, built a 1.9 TDI ASZ in a Seat Ibiza car. Please tell me in which Department I could place a report on our car, and get some advice about our car? Thank you!
Welcome to TDI Club!
Look at the list at forums.tdiclub.com, there are a couple forums you'll like.

Kosa

TDI
2015 Golf TDi S
Hello everyone! I just acquired a new to me 2015 Golf TDi 6MT and have been driving it the past week. I have also been browsing these pages recently and have learned a lot so I decided to join and hopefully learn more and maybe even contribute a little.

Gvillewill

TDI
2011 Golf
So, I am new to the club. and I have a:( face.
Back in June, I bought a 2011 Golf TDI cuz I drove the wheels off of my 06 Prius @ 460,000 miles. Really wanted to get her over a half mil, but I sent her to the great salvage yard in the sky.
I have always wanted a TDI, and my Golf is positively the funnest car that I have ever owned to drive. Bought her with 85,000 mi after the Fix and have put 13,000 on since then. I am a home inspector and drive a lot.
So, about Four weeks ago, I get the check engine light and she throws two codes at me, 0401,2002, EGR, DPF.
I did some research and found out that it's still covered by warranty so I take it to my VW dealer and sure enough it's covered and they can't let me drive it home because it would be "dangerous", but the lady said that they would order the parts and I should have my car back in a week. Well, I check back in a few days later to get a time line and they tell me that the DPF's are back ordered and VW won't tell them when the parts will come. I asked if it could be months and she said yes.!!
I live in Gainesville Florida and they said that I am one of Four here in town with the same issue, so that makes me wonder just how many are waiting nationwide.
Does anyone here have any info on this problem with VW?, because I have read articles going as far back as 2016 doccumenting the issues with the DPF's after the Fix.
At some point, I intend to do a DPF,EGR delete and tune, but I really don't want to spend 1300 for parts and software right now.

Bones 1223

TDI
Passat TDI SEL (NMS), Jeep Liberty CRD
New (to me) 2012 Passat TDI SEL

Just bought the Passat with 63k mi.
Thanks for all the great info here!

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hi all, I have a 200 mile 4 day a week commute and I just bought a 2015 SEL with 26000 miles. Replacing my Corolla with 370000 miles. I finally had to limit it to short trips because the trans is getting a little wonky. I think my sister in law is going to keep it on the road.
Taking the VW to the dealer on Monday to have another key programmed. The non VW dealer I bought it from is paying for it. I'm confused about the warranty. I'm assuming that the basic 36000 warranty is still in effect, but does the warranty extension still apply? Any help is appreciated.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would assume the basic warranty you are asking about has expired due to time limits, 3 years/36k miles. The extended emissions warranty does still apply though. You need to read up on these things so you are up to date on what is covered and isn't. It has all been posted here many times, so a search should turn it up for you. Had you bought from a VW dealer you more than likely would have a CPO warranty in place as well.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I would assume the basic warranty you are asking about has expired due to time limits, 3 years/36k miles. The extended emissions warranty does still apply though. You need to read up on these things so you are up to date on what is covered and isn't. It has all been posted here many times, so a search should turn it up for you. Had you bought from a VW dealer you more than likely would have a CPO warranty in place as well.
The 36000 mile warranty is still in effect because the car wasn't sold new until 2017. And the emissions warranty appears to apply.
I did try to search and there is a lot of information and the ins and outs can get confusing. That's why I asked.
As far as buying it from the dealer, the closest dealer to me is 95 miles away and didn't have any. The dealer that did have one had higher mileage, wanted $3000 more and was almost a 5 hour drive.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well you left out an important piece of info there. That is was sold new in 2017. You should still have that warranty in effect then. The emissions warranty doesn't cover transmission issues no matter what. It will cover anything else that sets a check engine light. You will still have to make that 95 mile drive to a dealer though.

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
2013 TDI Sportwagon

Hi all, just purchased a Diesel gate Jetta sport wagen from a dealer with 65K on it. The dealer did very little as far as I could see to pre - inspect the car and work with me on doing some little things that were minor so I probably wont' use there service dept as they kinda turned me off a bit. I looked it over and decided to buy just the same. My questions for this group being new, I did own a 1.9 Jetta many moons ago so do have a little experience and work as a logger/farmer so am always turning wrenches. At 65k and a timing belt that is 6 years old should I just replace it and while at it do the HPFP. I would buy the kit with pulleys , tensioners and water pump. The belt really dosent look bad ( no cracking that I can see) but I'm sure this car sat somewhere before getting the emission fix so that in my opinion takes life out of belts. The HPFP, is this a lubricity issue and should I run something with my fillups like lucas or power source? Are owners changing these pumps at a certain interval of mileage to be safe or is there a way to tell its getting past its life expectancy. So many questions, The bottom line is I really like the car and its drivability, real fun and the Triptonic tranny is interesting to say the least. Thanks looking forward to alls input.

lazano

TDI
2017 polo tdi
Newbie here

Hi,

I would like to thank the forum admin for creating a great forum like this.
Glad to be a member and i do hope to learn more about our beloved cars while having a nice time with members too.

Thanks

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
My questions for this group being new, I did own a 1.9 Jetta many moons ago so do have a little experience and work as a logger/farmer so am always turning wrenches. At 65k and a timing belt that is 6 years old should I just replace it and while at it do the HPFP. I would buy the kit with pulleys , tensioners and water pump. The belt really dosent look bad ( no cracking that I can see) but I'm sure this car sat somewhere before getting the emission fix so that in my opinion takes life out of belts. The HPFP, is this a lubricity issue and should I run something with my fillups like lucas or power source? Are owners changing these pumps at a certain interval of mileage to be safe or is there a way to tell its getting past its life expectancy. So many questions, The bottom line is I really like the car and its drivability, real fun and the Triptonic tranny is interesting to say the least. Thanks looking forward to alls input.
The TB gets changed based on mileage or time, so yes, most owners will replace the TB items. The belt may be fine, but other items in a good TB kit may be ready for replacement. I can't speak in depth to the HPFP, but the threads in the Mk6 forum don't reveal owners replacing them as periodic maintenance- I'm guessing that would be prohibitively expensive. I run PS (white bottle) to improve lubricity and deal with any water in the fuel, but a search will reveal lots of great threads and debates about this. If I had the version of the fuel pump that you have, I would certainly do so.

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
The TB gets changed based on mileage or time, so yes, most owners will replace the TB items. The belt may be fine, but other items in a good TB kit may be ready for replacement. I can't speak in depth to the HPFP, but the threads in the Mk6 forum don't reveal owners replacing them as periodic maintenance- I'm guessing that would be prohibitively expensive. I run PS (white bottle) to improve lubricity and deal with any water in the fuel, but a search will reveal lots of great threads and debates about this. If I had the version of the fuel pump that you have, I would certainly do so.
Thanks for your reply, now to decide what pump while the belt is being changed. a newer cp4 or cp3 kit. Will look at this in the forums. good info here.

rtalboys

TDI
New Beetle 2005 1.9 BEW
Newbie 2005 New Beetle 1.9

Hello bought a 2005 beetle about month ago and have been reading this forum. The first code I found with a cheapo ODBII scanner P0674. read your forum told me that it was glow plug issue. well this is the start of my journey. Although I am familiar with working on my own car this is my first diesel. So the car has 226k miles and the Glow plug harness crumbled in my hands when I went to remove it.. Ordered a new 4 wire BEW harness and figured hey maybe this was the issue all along. well assumption is the the mother of all screw ups. I re wired in the the new harness and problem was still present. moved the glow plug from one cylinder to another and the problem followed. also did the resistance testing someone posted on the forum(sorry I forgot the username to give credit) and looks to be the glow plug. Then after some more researchI find out that the recall and ECm flashes changed the voltage from Orig 7v to 5v and then a new recall put it back to 7v. My car I guess did not get the second re call and only the dealer had that 5v glow plug. All this before moving to VCDS( I had not made a purchase yet) . So problems should be fixed cleared the codes and boom 2 days later I get the P2196 code . I replaced the MAF cleared code but it came back. purchased VCDS cable downloaded software and cheap laptop and did the first diag today. Awesome software by the way, would recommend it to all. also grabbed the Chilton manual and the official shop manuals as well any advice for the P2196 code would be helpful I am reading that it may be the O2 sensor. but I would like to know exactly what to look for in VCDS to verify this

Thanks
.....Im trying...
D'ough

(_8-(|)