www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:17   #271
ShamrockTDI

TDI(s): 03 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 43

Regarding the lower rear shock mount extension method.... Any idea if a piece of square tube will fit instead of the angle iron+flat stock bolted in? Basically the same idea, with the forward face of the tube trimmed to allow the shock eye room.
ShamrockTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:47   #272
NonStop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockTDI View Post
Regarding the lower rear shock mount extension method.... Any idea if a piece of square tube will fit instead of the angle iron+flat stock bolted in? Basically the same idea, with the forward face of the tube trimmed to allow the shock eye room.
I used square tubing, and welded it to the old mount. Threw some paint on it. Figure i can cut the piece off if i had too, although im not going back now.
NonStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:10   #273
Dante
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average: 43mpg
Default What struts, shocks and springs are folks running with their lifts?

What struts, shocks and springs are folks running with their lifts? I'm thinking about installing the Metalnerd 2" lift. I'm using Bilstein HD struts and shocks right now, and will probably stick with those, but what springs are people using? Factory? Or something else?

ETA - Well, I just downloaded and read the Waiver for the Metalnerk kit, and you can't use it with aftermarket springs or Bilstein HDs. If I go that route, the Waiver says I "must use the EXACT color-coded spring that came with [my] engine/chassis combination." If I want to use Bilsteins, I'll have to use T/Cs--"Struts with large diameter pistons such as Bilstein HD and SP models (yellow paint) are NOT compatible."
2000 Golf GLS, VAG-COM, skid plate, OilGuard, CAT fuel filter, Shine suspension, front and rear stress bars, VR6 clutch, Peloquin LSD, PP520 injectors, 11mm pump, R32 airbox & snorkel, Oldman intake, Race & IC Pipes, 3" turbo-back exhaust, 3 gauge set, 2" Lift.

Last edited by Dante; January 31st, 2014 at 12:46.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:56   #274
Grantmac

TDI(s): 2005 Golf

Dante:

If you decide to get the lift and go for different struts please let me know, I'm looking for a used set of HDs.
The Koni Red or FSD would be a good choice with that kit.

-Grant
Grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 18:29   #275
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Has MN figured out a way to lift cars with ESP? Guess I should go look at his site...
Old January 31st, 2014, 20:00   #276
NonStop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
What struts, shocks and springs are folks running with their lifts? I'm thinking about installing the Metalnerd 2" lift. I'm using Bilstein HD struts and shocks right now, and will probably stick with those, but what springs are people using? Factory? Or something else?

ETA - Well, I just downloaded and read the Waiver for the Metalnerk kit, and you can't use it with aftermarket springs or Bilstein HDs. If I go that route, the Waiver says I "must use the EXACT color-coded spring that came with [my] engine/chassis combination." If I want to use Bilsteins, I'll have to use T/Cs--"Struts with large diameter pistons such as Bilstein HD and SP models (yellow paint) are NOT compatible."

I've had this lift a little over a year now. I used 3 year old Bilsteins, and bought 4 new (carquest) VR6 wagon springs.

Still awesome.
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:23   #277
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

The issue with ESP is that you can get it kicking in some on corners more then before a lift since center of height is taller. That said-I have had a lift with ESP for 100K miles and plan on more once I get it running again after the engine fire (not related to the lift-likely the fuze box above the battery).
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:56   #278
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Good to hear. I wouldn't be permitted to use the MN kit, of course... but I'm still interested. I may take this up with a local mechanic. Even one more inch of clearance would be a blessing on backroads.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:06   #279
Dante
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStop View Post
I've had this lift a little over a year now. I used 3 year old Bilsteins, and bought 4 new (carquest) VR6 wagon springs.

Still awesome.
NonStop, by "this lift" you are referring to the DIY lift, right? Is the DIY lift compatible with Bilstein HDs? What struts are you using?

Grant, thanks for the info regarding the Koni Reds. My HDs probably have 100,000 miles on them though. I got the Shine suspension quite a while ago.
2000 Golf GLS, VAG-COM, skid plate, OilGuard, CAT fuel filter, Shine suspension, front and rear stress bars, VR6 clutch, Peloquin LSD, PP520 injectors, 11mm pump, R32 airbox & snorkel, Oldman intake, Race & IC Pipes, 3" turbo-back exhaust, 3 gauge set, 2" Lift.

Last edited by Dante; February 2nd, 2014 at 09:10.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 17:39   #280
NonStop
Veteran Member

Quote:
NonStop, by "this lift" you are referring to the DIY lift, right? Is the DIY lift compatible with Bilstein HDs? What struts are you using?
Yep DIY lift.

Bilstein TCs From three, now 4 years ago.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 17:00   #281
Grantmac

Quote:

Grant, thanks for the info regarding the Koni Reds. My HDs probably have 100,000 miles on them though. I got the Shine suspension quite a while ago.
None of the spacer-style lifts will work with the HDs because they are an inverted damper and the spring seat can't fit further down the shaft.

Your options will be different springs, some sort of spacer between the mount and the spring, adjustable spring perches or a different top-mount.

-Grant
Old February 3rd, 2014, 20:20   #282
Dante
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
None of the spacer-style lifts will work with the HDs because they are an inverted damper and the spring seat can't fit further down the shaft.

Your options will be different springs, some sort of spacer between the mount and the spring, adjustable spring perches or a different top-mount.

-Grant
Thanks Grant. I ordered a 2" Metalnerd kit. It turns out they made a few specifically for use with Shine springs. I'll probably go with Koni Sports (since I'm used to the Billy HDs) or maybe FSDs. I'm a CPA, so I probably won't be installing the lift and new dampers until after April 15. I'll try to keep you posted in case you're still interested in my HDs.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 21:25   #283
Grantmac

I think then MN kit with Shines will be a cool combination, I'd love to here about how it goes.
I'm down in Washington all the time so if you decide to sell your HDs I can likely come get them.

-Grant
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:14   #284
Dante
Veteran Member

I'll keep you posted, Grant.
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:53   #285
jasontexas

I've been trying to find the best way to do a 1.5 lift under $100. Looking through all the ways to do a lift. I've came with $40 moog wagen springs in the rear (i have them installed now and got a 1.25 lift) and having a local machine shop make 1.5 inch spacers for the front. This will level out the car. I talk with the local machine shop and i can get the 1.5 inch front spacers ALOT cheaper if i order more than just two. So i wanted to find out if anyone else was interest in this and i could make a bigger order. Let me know if any of you are interest.

Jason
jasontexas is offline   Reply With Quote