Camshaft replacement info

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Having been through the premature camshaft wear threads, what options do we have available for replacement -- repair of these items? Might be good to have a stand alone "How to" thread for just the inspection and repair info for this problem that can be updated as new info is processed, and printed out, added to our growing TDI technical library. Appears we have some excellent experienced mechanics that have posted some info.
Our 2006 has 52,000 on it and I am anticipating on having to go through the camshaft replacement. Shame that a car that cost this much wears out parts that fast!
(1) How to inspect and things to look for.
(2) If damaged or worn - what to purchase and purchase options.
(3) How to remedy or fix the cause. (extra oiling holes?)
(4) How to remove and replace the worn parts.

I decided right after we bought the Jetta, not to let any dealers in this area touch it after they asked me "what is 505.01 spec oil" ---- 3 out of 4 dealers Service departments.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Anyone ever used the "How to keep your Volkswagen alive : A manual of step by step procedures for the complete idiot" ?
I bought this manual by John Muir, back in 1980 to work on my Rabbit L diesel and used it along side the factory manual to work on the car. Great book and many procedures shown were better than the factory manual info.

Look Inside This Book

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I loved those books. Pretty much lived by the Subaru one for a while. Especially liked the pictures.

But I guess maybe modern cars are a bit beyond the scope of those manuals.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
Those books were a help for sure. Some of the things I learned from the air cooled engines: If the exhaust valve clearance is getting smaller the valve is probably streaching. Just go ahead and replace the exhaust valves as insurance (a lot chaeper than dropped valves). The only problem was, some people liked to quote I have 125,000 miles on mine and have never replaced the valves. The sure fire method is: if your car missed on a cool morning and then leveled out as it warmed up; you probably have a valve with no clearance. If you check and have no clearance replace valves tomorrow.

Why that dumb valve stuff? I suggest replacing lower cam bearings at timing belt change time. I think camshaft failure and cam bearings are related. Some people beat on me for this, but we will eventually see. Some people make it to high mileages some die sooner, with a little cluster of failures around 100,000 miles US.

If you wait till failure there is one option. Replace cam, followers, bearings and any other failed parts. The probable worst case harm from replacing the lower bearings at belt change time is the $300.00 ? USD hole in your wallet. If your mechanic starts fussing it might be wise to just take the chance on failure. If you do the work it would be cheaper. At timing belt change time there is no tension from the belt and the bearings will slide in with no problem. I change mine myself and it is a trick while the belt tension is present.

eddif

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
eddif said:
Why that dumb valve stuff? I suggest replacing lower cam bearings at timing belt change time. I think camshaft failure and cam bearings are related.
I'd say you need to replaced 6 bearings, not five. Five lower cam bearings and one upper cam bearing at the flywheel end. It gets worn quickly too!

Besides, eddif, it would be nice to see a HOW-TO (DIY) with pics about how to replace the bearings (w/o remothin the cam of course).