www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 31st, 2009, 15:50   #76
JayDiesel

Fuel Economy: 36.5 Average (majority city)

For FAQ number 17 that was originally posted by DoctorDawg:

---

17. Q: Hey, I can't hear my turbo! What's up with that?
A: What's that you say? I couldn't hear you over the awesome scream of my turbo. No, actually, most of us can't hear our '09 turbos; they're scary-quiet...and those of us with long turbodiesel experience in other vehicles kinda miss it. But it's one heckuva turbo anyways (puts out 22 PSI, stock), and it sure gets the job done. Think of it as the strong, silent type.

---

I can faintly hear my turbo whine when I am driving in the parking lot (slight accelerations and coasting down on first gear). I started noticing the sound after my TDI hit 3000 miles on the odo. Before the 3000 mark I do not recall hearing the slight turbo whine. I know the TDIs will get louder (diesel clack) as the motor breaks in; but is it normal that I can hear a faint whine of the turbo? I am probably being slightly paranoid but the sound is pretty cool to kinda hear the turbo whine from that CR motor though.
Old August 31st, 2009, 17:33   #77
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be concerned about it unless it just keeps getting louder. Some folks here have mentioned that they can kinda sorta hear their '09 turbos, particularly when driving past a Jersey wall or other reflecting surface. Some folks have better hearing than other folks. Its just that compared to old-school turbos it is really, really quiet. In my old Dodge Cummins, the turbo is pretty much all you can hear.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:22   #78
JayDiesel

Fuel Economy: 36.5 Average (majority city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
I wouldn't be concerned about it unless it just keeps getting louder. Some folks here have mentioned that they can kinda sorta hear their '09 turbos, particularly when driving past a Jersey wall or other reflecting surface. Some folks have better hearing than other folks. Its just that compared to old-school turbos it is really, really quiet. In my old Dodge Cummins, the turbo is pretty much all you can hear.
Thanks DoctorDawg for the response and confirmation. Yea it does not get louder and sometimes I have to really try to listen for it at times.The way you describe how people kinda hear the turbo based on a particular instance and how hearing may be better than some others is exactly what I was thinking also. By they way, I came across a few Dodge Cummins and older TDIs where I commute and I have to say that turbo sound those make is pretty sweet.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:57   #79
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

Just get a Whistler™.
Old September 1st, 2009, 17:25   #80
geezerb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City/Highway combined
Default TPMS Mystery

I understand what the tire pressure monitoring system does but can anyone tell how they work? Are there tiny little batteries to supply power or is there some really freakie things going on that I shouldn't be asking about? Are they a thing that can be repaired or serviced? I'm not about to take one apart but I am curious.
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 17:31   #81
securityguy
Veteran Member

The sensors are wireless transmitters that have small lithium batteries in them that last 5-7 years. They transmit a radio signal to the cars computer which decodes it into a PSI reading and compares that reading to a base line value. If less than the base line, it triggers a "low air" indication on your dashboard.

When the battery dies, you buy a new sensor as they do NOT have user serviceable parts. Sensors can be bought on eBay or vwwvortex. Cost around $80 - $100.
Old September 1st, 2009, 17:38   #82
geezerb
Veteran Member

Default TPMS Mystery

Thank you sir, I am now informed. With a useful life of 5-7 years, they just might out- last me.

Last edited by geezerb; September 1st, 2009 at 20:48.
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:33   #83
geezerb
Veteran Member

Default Name that thing

In the center of the dashboard forward of the outlet for the diverted air flow there is a object that is molded into the plastic. It almost looks like a handle for removing the grill but offers no grip or advantage for that purpose.
When I was suffering through the VW reps presentation of the cars features before they would give me the keys, I heard him to state that it was an antenna for the radio. I was not aware enough to "throw the BS flag" on him at the time so I just let it go. Is that thing any thing other than a place to collect dust or is it serving some purpose?
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:02   #84
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerb
In the center of the dashboard forward of the outlet for the diverted air flow there is a object that is molded into the plastic. It almost looks like a handle for removing the grill but offers no grip or advantage for that purpose.
When I was suffering through the VW reps presentation of the cars features before they would give me the keys, I heard him to state that it was an antenna for the radio. I was not aware enough to "throw the BS flag" on him at the time so I just let it go. Is that thing any thing other than a place to collect dust or is it serving some purpose?
I believe that what you are referring to is a temperature sensor. It is under the windshield to measure the "heat load" caused by the sun. There is an outside air temp sensor, and inside air temp sensor and this "sun load" temp sensor on the dashboard. This is all part of the electronically controlled air conditioning system. Very fancy electronics is part of your new VW.

Have fun!

Last edited by JSWTDI09; September 4th, 2009 at 18:09.
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 14:25   #85
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

So that's what that thing is, huh? Learn somethin' ever day around here....
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
Old September 4th, 2009, 17:02   #86
geezerb
Veteran Member

Default Name that thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09
I believe that what you are referriing to is a temperature sensor. It is under the windshield to measure the "heat load" caused by the sun. There is an outside air temp sensor, and inside air temp sensor and this "sun load" temp sensor on the dashboard. This is all part of the electronically controlled air conditioning system. Very fancy electronics is part of your new VW.

Have fun!
Now that I know what that thing actually is, I would go back and throw the flag. Unfortunately, the dork was canned a few days later. (I hope he is not sowing that knowledge in some other dealership)
Old September 4th, 2009, 18:07   #87
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

There's a sensor there if you have the Climatronic system. It's just a block off if you have the Climatic system.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 18:49   #88
krsone

So I've looked around the forums for some mention of this but haven't found anything: Is the EGR modification/calibration necessary for the new 2009s? If so, how soon are you supposed to get this done before it does permanent damage?
Thanks!

Last edited by krsone; September 4th, 2009 at 19:32.
krsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 13:48   #89
geezerb
Veteran Member

Default 2009 TDI specific issues

With my old 2002 NB TDI, on start up the glow plug indicator took a few (maybe 4 or 5 sec) to signal okay. With my 2009 the light stays on for just a very short time. Granted, it has not been anywhere near cool here as yet but what length of time should the glow plugs stay on? I'm sure that I can adjust this time with the VAGCOM but I don't want to mess with it if it's already working as it should.
Old September 15th, 2009, 17:26   #90
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

geezer, my '09 sure hasn't seen a Montana winter, but I can say that at 15*F last winter my glow plug light was never on more'n about 2 seconds. In spring/summer/fall I can hardly see the light. The new glow plugs are apparently very efficient (and at $200 apiece they damn well better be!) and the CBEA engine is brilliant at starting up fast and smooth in the cold. I think your glow plugs are behaving per design. I would advise against adjusting their timing.