www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 26th, 2009, 14:24   #46
aume2007

Quote:
10. Q: I'm considering buying an '09 TDI, but I'm worried about reliability. How's the track record of this car?
A: At the time of writing (Nov. 2009) its still early days. Hardly anyone has owned one for more than 3 months, or has more than 10K miles on one. But that said, problems reported to date on this site have been generally minor and generally infrequent...about what you'd expect at this point, IMHO. A lot of us really love these cars and are very glad we own 'em (so far).

I don't have an '09, but I'd still like to know how to write in the future. How are the 2010's looking is the question?
aume2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:00   #47
dhal

Another great site to book mark. Regaurding #9 I thought it would look nice with the TDI badge "but nowhere to be found". I did order the same badge as found on the back. It is a good fit on the steering wheel bracket. They were a bit of a problem to put on.They are 3 individual letters which are held togeather by a strip of tape on the face) as you peel off the strip on the glue side, they shifted on me and realigning them well*##**. but I did get them on and well centered. To me it looks good. Ordered from the dealer 1K5-853-675-D-HCE 2nd group of letters and nos. AF 006 B02 Name Plate 38.29 + tax and had them shipped total $50.20 They catch your eye every time you climb in.

Last edited by dhal; March 27th, 2009 at 07:02.
dhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 18:27   #48
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aume2007

I don't have an '09, but I'd still like to know how to write in the future. How are the 2010's looking is the question?
As the target of your barbs, aume, all I can say is, buy GM stock next Wednesday afternoon.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 21:21   #49
alnmike
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09

Just for information's sake, my amp is in the trunk, bolted to the top. I have to bend way down to see it, but its definitely not under my seat. I have the 'Premium" system, not sure if I had to pay for it or not. Now I just need to find a way to get a crossover in there so no speakers play anything below 125Hz, and put in my own sub+amp for that. I have no experience with crossovers that arent part of an amp. The system sounds fine except for the 6" speakers trying to play bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
Personally, I believe the "wheeee" is just the engine's way of commenting on how much fun that last drive was....
alnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 18:23   #50
Highker
Veteran Member

Thanks all, especially DoctorDawg for the great info

'09 JSW TDI 6M, Candy White with beige, Pano Sunroof
Mats & Splashguards
Highker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:14   #51
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Edited post #1 to include FAQ #18, on DSG issues.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:20   #52
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Excellent update, DD. You might want to consider a strong statement that left-foot braking doesn't work for take-off. At 13k miles, I finally have the courage to drive my car onto my ramps, but when it was new, it confused me (and the car!!) a great deal as I tried to left-foot brake to keep the car from rolling down the ramps. Now that I understand the DSG, it isn't a problem.
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 17:35   #53
chops_555
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.5-35 city/40-44 hwy

I believe the box on the top of the trunk has something to do with the satillite radio.

I really appreciated this. Very informative.
chops_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:55   #54
motoblue
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Romy - 39 mpg - 62C/38H

Good stuff, DD. Couple suggestions:

I think a link to the 05/06 FAQ that covers body issues and common DIY procedures would be good to have at the top, then go onto specific issues.

Regarding the question about engine covers, I took pictures of mine that you can link to if you think it would help.
Underside:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/engine-cover-underside.jpg

Top, with approximate grommet locations marked:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/engine-cover-marked.jpg

I would also suggest an expansion of the oil change question to indicate the capacity of the 09s as 4 liters, and maybe run down the available 507 oils.

Though not a mechanical issue, the tax credit question is also specific to the 09 and has generated more than a few duplicate threads. Perhaps a referral to the irs.gov website (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/corpor...203912,00.html) or fueleconomy.gov (http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxLeanburn.shtml)?

ETA - links for tax credit information

Last edited by motoblue; August 8th, 2009 at 00:42.
motoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 18:05   #55
Exmasonite

Default why isn't this stickied?

great post, great info! why did it take me 2 weeks to find this post? thanks!
Exmasonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 00:13   #56
qball

Very Well done post i have a auto/man in my 07 altima and your doing 30 in 6th gear i just drive man in then city works great
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 16:30   #57
geezerb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City/Highway combined
Default Clean Diesel

DR.
I have been operating diesels off and on for more years than I care to remember but my o9 Jetta has a tailpipe like no other I have seen. At 1700 miles the pipe is as pristine as the day I drove it off the lot. Is there a point in time when it will "soot-up" as in the days of old?
I don't want to be showing off for admirers and come out of the pipe looking like I just voted in an Iraqui election.
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 16:43   #58
velociT
Veteran Member

Just don't show it off during a regen.

Sometimes a slight yellow smoke can be seen.
TDT for PD Mafia Member #002
Then: 06 Jetta TDI 5M *sold*
Now: 17 Ram 3500 CTD, 87 M35A2C
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 16:46   #59
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

At 25K+ miles my tailpipe is no longer squeeky clean...I can pick up a little smidge of black by running my finger around it. But it remains waaaay ahead of any other diesel I've ever owned.
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:10   #60
Travelthere

Greetings To All,

This is great stuff DoctorDawg ! But, I am still left with a nagging question about Break-in Procedures. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but I have to ask this. I have read the Break-in procedures and I read that DoctorDawg does not necessarily agree with them. In fact, they seem to conflict with the 09 owner's manual suggestions in some cases. In the spirit of many of the threads on this forum, may I ask, "What is the source of the posted break-in procedures?" I also notice that they were originally published in 2003. Are they still relevant to the 09 engine?
Travelthere is offline   Reply With Quote