www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 12th, 2004, 13:56   #1
ARBY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34ish
Default Easy Lubro Moly Diesel Purge How-To - with pics!!

OK, so I'm no Wingnut, but I've really been looking to make some sort of contribution to Fred's, so here goes. I've been a fan of LM products ever since I had my first VW, a 1990 Fox wagon. Well, this has got to be the easiest thing to do and is definitely recommended for any TDI with more than 20k miles on the clock. This how-to has been posted elsewhere, my version, is one-person and only takes 20 minutes and about 20 dollars. Here goes:

Parts:

1 can of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge:

1 Fram Fuel Filter, part number on box (from Napa or Murray's), 10 feet of 5/16 ID plastic tubing (Home Depot) and 1 packet of 5/16" vacuum fittings:

1 20oz (at least) empty pop or water bottle (I used a 24 oz. one).

Steps:

1. Cut 3 lengths of plastic tubing, one 22" long, one 8" and one 12" long.
2. Connect the 8" and 12" pieces of plastic tubing to the inline fuel filter.

3. Insert one vacuum fitting into the other end of the 8" piece (this will be connected to the fuel line from the filter to the pump).
4. Insert the other vacuum fitting into the 22" piece of tubing (this will go from the injection pump back to the plastic bottle containing the Diesel Purge).

It should look like this. If it doesn't you have no business working on your car, sell it and buy a Honda.

5. Get your plastic bottle, insert your hoses and stick it between your washer fluid resevoir and the intake pipe.

6. Make sure your hoses are long enough.
7. Remove the bottle and fill it with the Diesel Purge. I have no idea if the DP will eat through the bottle or the tubing, but work quickly but carefully just to be sure.

Precautions: the DP will get hot as it recirculates through the pump, making the tubing more pliable and prone to leaks. It will not leak however, trust me.

8. With the bottle filled and your tubes inserted TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE, remove the fuel line which goes from the filter to the injection pump.

You should have something like this, if you don't, go get that Honda, ASAP.

9. I found it helpful to 'prime' the inline filter by sucking some DP through the line so as to minimize the amount of air the pump would have to deal with. Do not get any in your mouth, it tastes horrible. Trust me. Remove the clamp securing the fuel line from the filter to the pump and with your thumb over the clear tube (which should be filled with DP if you primed it properly) quickly insert the clear line with the vacuum fitting into the fuel supply line.

10. Do the same with the return line (which goes from the injector pump back to the fuel filter). The fuel pump will recirculate the DP back to the clear plastic bottle, using only DP, which is, after all, the whole point.

11. Make sure all your fittings are secure. Don't mind the air in the lines, your pump can handle it. Trust me. The advantage of this system is that while in the car you can view the clear lines. As the fuel heats up, you will see little bubbles in the clear lines, don't worry, it will all hold together.

12. Start the car, watch as the fuel in the lines goes from clear to red.

13. Get out of car and check system for leaks. There should be none.

14. Get back in car and rev engine, from idle all the way to redline. Vary engine speeds. Don't be afraid, trust me. Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated garage or preferably outside, where the car will able to cool itself.

15. Get out periodically to check on the level of DP remaining. When it gets to about 1 1/2 inches left, get in the car, give it one last college try. When you see a steady stream of bubbles in the supply line, shut the engine down.

16. Reassemble your fuel lines. Remember, a little air is no problem.

17. Start the car and check for leaks.

18. Pour left over DP in the tank.

19. Have a beer.
ARBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 14:00   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
OK, so I'm no Wingnut, but I've really been looking to make some sort of contribution to Fred's, so here goes.
Hey, nice effort and nice fotos!! I must commend you on your "contribution". So few others seem to share your concern. After all, we live in a "give" and "take" world with the focus being on "take" and "give" has become a complete oversight.

Nice job.

BTW, Arby, what store did you go to when you purchased the highly touted LM Diesel Purge?
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 14:12   #3
IXLR8
Veteran Member

My newbie question is.. Why do this? What does it accomplish?
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 15:29   #4
ARBY
Veteran Member

Quote:
BTW, Arby, what store did you go to when you purchased the highly touted LM Diesel Purge?

Thanks for the positive feedback! I got the Diesel Purge from a local Euro dealership whom I worked for. I know that Bavarian Autosport stocks it (or their catalog alludes to the fact), you can also get it from the Parts Place, here in Auburn Hills, MI. I'm almost positive that tdiparts.com has some as well.

As for the question of 'what does it do?' well, your injectors can get all bunged up from the diesel plus the fact that they are exposed to the combustion in the cylinder. Diesel Purge is designed to be clean the injectors of all the crud that builds up. It basically does the same thing that Techron would do for a gasser but in a hyper-concentrated manner.
Old September 12th, 2004, 15:40   #5
KorMelisTDIJetta
Veteran Member

So would it be ok to just add some to the fuel tank every now and then? Or will this not work to well? By the way great write up! Thanks, Kory
KorMelisTDIJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 15:44   #6
JettaJake
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 GLS 5spd
Fuel Economy: ~47 lifetime mpg @ 185K miles

Very nice job, excellent contribution. I do like the label on the bottle --> "medicine for sick diesels" heheh

Still, I'm little unclear about the purpose or exactly what this material is. Please tell us a little more about this "diesel snake oil" What symptoms or ills does this product claim to correct? Does it contain molybdenum disulfide as the name seems to imply? Is a cloud of white smoke coming out the tailpipe while doing the purge?
Quote:

[snip]
19. Have a beer.
For now I will skip the 1st 18 steps
JettaJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 17:31   #7
ARBY
Veteran Member

Jake,

All excellent questions. Diesel Purge has been around for quite a while. A friend of mine who put together the catalog for the Parts Place many many years ago is quite familiar with it and attests to its various and sundry claims. My apologies, I don't have the bottle in front of me, but the symptoms which it claims require its use include excessive knocking, smoking, noise and vibration. It is red in color and smells not unlike cough syrup. Your car will not smoke when you use it, but will smell quite differently from what you are used to. It does not, to my knowledge, contain any molybdenum disulfide. You can find it in Bavarian Autosport. I can honestly claim that after using it my engine is quite smoother when revving above 3,000 and seems to have taken quite nicely to having its injectors cleaned. I plan on using it every 20k miles. I bought my car when it had 14k miles on the clock and am not sure what kind of diesel the previous owner used. I felt this was needed.
Old September 12th, 2004, 17:34   #8
ARBY
Veteran Member

Quote:
So would it be ok to just add some to the fuel tank every now and then? Or will this not work to well? By the way great write up! Thanks, Kory

Kory,

The point is to run it straight. Some have claimed that they use it to prime their fuel filter when they change it out. However, the pump will recirculate the unused Diesel Purge back to the tank where it will be diluted by your existing diesel. You will not see the benefit unless you run it straight.

Lubro Moly makes a product called Diesel Hi-Test which, I believe, is meant to be added to the tank not unlike Standayne or Powerservice.
Old September 12th, 2004, 17:46   #9
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

Quote:
OK, so I'm no Wingnut, but I've really been looking to make some sort of contribution to Fred's, so here goes.

We all start somewhere. Have you seen any of my first how-to's? Pretty pathetic compared to your first post. Good job. Please add this as a link in my How to thread so others can find it easily.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 17:49   #10
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Guys, the LM product line is well-recognized as no nonsense additives...

Quote:
Lubro Moly diesel purge is the only concentrated product that can be used while the injectors are still in the car! When used about every six months, this maintenance routine will keep your injectors at their optimum performance. Diesel purge is easy to use. Just pour into your tank or follow the simple instructions on the bottle.
try it and decide for yourself. IMPEX has most of the diesel products and I think Danix picked up the produce line as well. They've got a killer diesel anti-gel product.

dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 20:52   #11
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Yes, you do need to run this product this way. It works many, many, many times better at cleaning the injection system than any tank additve.

If you live in the Chicago area, Sparomobile Forn Parts in Downers Grove on Ogden Ave sells it too. Say high to Mike for me.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:34   #12
ARBY
Veteran Member

Added to Wingnut's How-To section! Thanks!!
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:36   #13
ARBY
Veteran Member

PDF NOW POSTED!
Old September 27th, 2004, 21:09   #14
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

Is running biodiesel any better than doing this?
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 19:40   #15
oldpoopie

I've used the diesel purge 3x now, and I'll likely do it a 4th when I reach 120k miles, which will be very soon. It makes a significant difference. I remember the first time I did it, it was winter and I was getting significant cold start smoke. I used the dieselpurge and the smoke ceased entirely.
Definately a good product.
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote