www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 18th, 2019, 11:38   #1
Drclaw
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MA
Default Tow hitch options for mk6 jsw with lift

I'm going to install the VW tow spring kit from Idparts on 2014 JSW. I currently have a class 1 Curt that came with the car. I used it once for a road trip with a basket. It rubbed going out of most drivewaya. I want to go to a 2" receiver. Since the spring kit brings the car up 1.5"-2" aall around does it matter if I get a 2" curt, drawtite or uhaul? I'm looking for whatever is cheap and easy and won't rub.

I also found a eco hitch option for $300.

Installation ease and price are most important
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 14:42   #2
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

If you want cheap, go uhaul or curt or whatever you can find for the least price.

If you want ground clearance, proper mounting points, quality and 2" receiver, go Ecohitch. I just installed one and its exceptional.
AllieJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 16:29   #3
Drclaw
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
If you want cheap, go uhaul or curt or whatever you can find for the least price.
If you want ground clearance, proper mounting points, quality and 2" receiver, go Ecohitch. I just installed one and its exceptional.
I'm probably gonna get the eco hitch. How was the install? Did u put the rear end on jack stands?
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 08:50   #4
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member
 
JELLOWSUBMARINE's Avatar
Default

ECO definitely (class III @300 tongue/2k tow. I wanted to start with the most advantage possible. I occasionally haul a 200# power chair. The 500# rated aluminum rack (harbor freight) is a straight 2" steel tube. At trailing end and empty it sat @ 8.5" above ground height & 5 3/4" when loaded w/ 200#. It cleared when empty for the most part but definitely had scrapping issues when loaded.

I had a shop raise it about 6" by cutting/bending/fishplating the excess tongue length in a z shape. Make sure they put a +7* to +10* upward rise/tilt that will compensate for the rear spring droop and give a couple inch additional clearance. The wheel well height only lowered apx 1". UNFORTUNATELY the +10* rise was ignored by my fab shop... it presently works but looks droopy. The additional +7 to 10* up tilt would be of benefit too.

BTW the install shop lost the bolts. I called to buy a new set. they (ECO) were awesome and replaced the whole set free of charge. also rush shipped it. Great hitch



Before raised mod. apx. -5* down tilt.

__________________

Last edited by JELLOWSUBMARINE; August 19th, 2019 at 09:19.
JELLOWSUBMARINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 10:45   #5
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclaw View Post
I'm probably gonna get the eco hitch. How was the install? Did u put the rear end on jack stands?
I left it on the ground and didn't have any issues. Strongly suggest taking your time, being patient and installing all bolts loosely first, before torquing everything to spec.
AllieJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 12:26   #6
Drclaw
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
I left it on the ground and didn't have any issues. Strongly suggest taking your time, being patient and installing all bolts loosely first, before torquing everything to spec.
Thanks. I ordered it yesterday. How long did it take for yours to arrive. How much time should I plan for install? Any other installation tips?
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 17:04   #7
Just sum dudes TDI
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Winnipeg canada
Fuel Economy: 800 - 1200 a tank
Default

How does the car handle with the lift? Was it worth it?
Is this the one that uses the Tiguan springs?
I’ve been wanting to do this, but have a few clunks, hopefully it’s the suspension so I can justify this lift sooner!��

Last edited by Just sum dudes TDI; August 19th, 2019 at 17:07. Reason: Spelling
Just sum dudes TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 17:38   #8
Drclaw
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just sum dudes TDI View Post
How does the car handle with the lift? Was it worth it?
Is this the one that uses the Tiguan springs?
I’ve been wanting to do this, but have a few clunks, hopefully it’s the suspension so I can justify this lift sooner!��
It's this kit. Haven't ordered them yet. Going to start with the eco hitch and see how that goes for my bike carrier and luggage rack hitch.

https://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-l...ct-p-5101.html

I picked this up from the r/TDI on Reddit. I really want to do it but having a hard time justifying the $700 for the springs and struts needed to do it right. Im telloing myself my current struts are no good and is why do driver side winter tire bottoms out against the strut tower. I think it's not because I'm using a 17" winter setup but with a lift all that would be eliminated and also wouldn't scrape tall parking curbs.

Last edited by Drclaw; August 21st, 2019 at 16:41.
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:18   #9
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclaw View Post
Thanks. I ordered it yesterday. How long did it take for yours to arrive. How much time should I plan for install? Any other installation tips?
I'm in Canada, so I had mine shipped to a holding centre just in NY, took 3 days from ordering to arrive at the centre. It took me most of a morning, I would say roughly 4-5hrs? But again, that's taking my time, making sure the rear bumper didn't get scratched, etc.
AllieJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:20   #10
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just sum dudes TDI View Post
How does the car handle with the lift? Was it worth it?
Is this the one that uses the Tiguan springs?
Iíve been wanting to do this, but have a few clunks, hopefully itís the suspension so I can justify this lift sooner!��
Chiming in, as I just completed the Koni Active / ID Parts spring kit modification. The car handles 1000% better than it did on stock parts, much firmer ride without being harsh over bumps, less roll and more confidence on the twisty bits for sure. I went with the Tiguan Front / Towing Rear springs as I do tow a trailer and didn't want to see it squat.
AllieJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 08:32   #11
Drclaw
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
I'm in Canada, so I had mine shipped to a holding centre just in NY, took 3 days from ordering to arrive at the centre. It took me most of a morning, I would say roughly 4-5hrs? But again, that's taking my time, making sure the rear bumper didn't get scratched, etc.

Thanks! In the video they show the tech working in a pit with the car on a lift. Dis you do yours with the car on the ground? With a jack? Mine arrives Tuesday.
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 19:09   #12
Just sum dudes TDI
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Winnipeg canada
Fuel Economy: 800 - 1200 a tank
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
Chiming in, as I just completed the Koni Active / ID Parts spring kit modification. The car handles 1000% better than it did on stock parts, much firmer ride without being harsh over bumps, less roll and more confidence on the twisty bits for sure. I went with the Tiguan Front / Towing Rear springs as I do tow a trailer and didn't want to see it squat.

Do you have any pics?
How easy was the install?
Iím fairly familiar with tools, but this will be my first suspension on my own.

Did your mileage drop with the height?
Just sum dudes TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 13:29   #13
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclaw View Post
Thanks! In the video they show the tech working in a pit with the car on a lift. Dis you do yours with the car on the ground? With a jack? Mine arrives Tuesday.
Just did mine laying on the ground with no jack in the garage, didn't have any issues at all personally.
AllieJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 13:31   #14
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just sum dudes TDI View Post
Do you have any pics?
How easy was the install?
Iím fairly familiar with tools, but this will be my first suspension on my own.
Did your mileage drop with the height?
I keep meaning to get some decent pictures, but haven't had a chance to clean the car properly lately and snap some. I've also got larger tires than stock so the lift doesn't look as extreme as it did with the stock wheels too.

The install took a full day (8+ hrs) with breaks and lunch, etc. I only used regular hand tools, you'll need triple square sockets, spring compressors, and the strut spreader tool. No change in mileage whatsoever.
AllieJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 18:51   #15
Drclaw
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MA
Default

I did the install of the Eco hitch today. Wasn't too bad. Instructions could have been better but I got through it. Most challenging part for me was getting those screws in the wheel well and mud flaps back on.

I reinstalled the styrofoam bumper the tell you to discard and that gave me a little headache when installing the bumper back on.

I lost 1 bolt that is the lower driver rear light housing. It dropped down and couldn't grab it.

I couldnt get the push pins back in. I was unable to push them back on through, I pulled the pin out of the head on one and tried to use it like a bolt/blnut setup but that didn't work either. Any tips on that? New ones?

I also didn't torque every bolt to spec. The m8 bolts called for 20ftlb and some of them were tightening and felt like I might shear the bolt so I stopped. Othes clicked. I think it's my ****ty Pittsburg/hf torque wrench.

It's installed though and looks great.
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Mk6 Jetta Unibrace UB, Tow Hitch, DPF, window shade rtking Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 0 March 30th, 2017 01:59
WTB: Bosal (preferred) or Westphalia tow hitch for JSW pkhoury Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 1 January 13th, 2017 08:57
Lift & tow package MK7 JSW NWVintage Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) 1 February 18th, 2016 08:42
Tow hitch options MKVI Golf gimpy9195 VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) 20 July 8th, 2014 15:58
2014 JSW tow hitch availability tdi hunter VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) 12 April 22nd, 2014 13:47


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.18345 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 128.68 Kb. compressed to 107.80 Kb. by saving 20.88 Kb. (16.23%)]