Stripped Bolt inside Outer front door Panel

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
2006 Jetta TDI

Removing a outer driver side door panel to replace and found out the T25 Torx screw that removes the key cylinder from the outer door panel is stripped and not coming out. Is there any way to get the panel off without breaking the cable that attaches to the door latch actuator or should I try and remove the actuator and pull the steel cable off without breaking it? :)

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
2006 Jetta TDI

Removing a outer driver side door panel to replace and found out the T25 Torx screw that removes the key cylinder from the outer door panel is stripped and not coming out. Is there any way to get the panel off without breaking the cable that attaches to the door latch actuator or should I try and remove the actuator and pull the steel cable off without breaking it? :)
You do not remove the key cylinder screw. You unscrew it x number of turns and then pull the cylinder out. Read one of the how-to's here or myturbodiesel.com carefully for details.

If the screw is in fact stripped I'm not sure if there is any way to get it out without loosening that screw.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I hate Torx screws there not just on VW's but on my daughters Merc benz what are germans thinking & why do they use silly Torx srews that can easilly be stripped if Your not useing proper tool to unscrew them is beyond me? they can also rust and strip easyilly even after using proper tool to loosen them. :mad: i hate Torx screws ...?

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I hate Torx screws there not just on VW's but on my daughters Merc benz what are germans thinking & why do they use silly Torx srews that can easilly be stripped if Your not useing proper tool to unscrew them is beyond me? they can also rust and strip easyilly even after using proper tool to loosen them. :mad: i hate Torx screws ...?

So...use the right tool. :rolleyes: Anywhere has them.

I like them. I think that they are far less strippable than Phillips, Allen, and slotted.
Having a torx head does not cause them to rust either.

ludwigmace

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, BHW 5spd, TDT Stage 1; 2006 Jetta Sedan BRM, 5spd, Stage 1 Tune
So did the Torx head strip or did the threading on the Door Handle Backing Plate strip where the screw is seated? The latter situation happened with me and it was a bear to get out.

In case that happened to you: I drilled a tiny hole directly underneath the larger access hole and stuck a hooked kinda puller in there. I got that underneath the pan-head of the screw and pulled like hell while also un-screwing very slowly. It was finally able to back it out enough to get the lock cylinder out and it was cake from there. Of course I replaced the backing plate. I can snap some pics if needed.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
NO! do not remove the screw, and it probably is not stripped

2006 Jetta TDI

The screw is probably not stripped at all, you probably just turned it CCW too many times. Turn it CW ALL THE WAY BACK IN. Once that is done, put something in the handle, like urethane foam or something to keep it all the way out, like you are opening the door, but not with too much pressure. Once that is done, carefully turn the screw CCW while using your fingers to frequently pull on the lock mechanism or where the lock would be if it was a lockable door. Somewhere between 12 and 16 full 360 degree turns, the door lock or latch mechanism will be released.

The door handle is NOT an intuitively logical device. I posted a youtube video about it, but I forgot where I put the link to it.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
It was actually a T20. I was able to get the key cylinder to come out by using the 12 turn trick from Humble Mechanic on Youtube. I screwed it back in and then unscrewed it and it worked. I need to change out my rear door lock actuator next, any good instructional video's on that repair?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Door handle demonstration

I found the link to the youtube post I made about door handles.
https://youtu.be/Ih9GpIc7pDY

When re-assembling your door and lock, it is very worthwhile to do so with the assembly properly locked as shown in the video.