Yea Or Nay? Spoiler Re-purposed

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Oops! It hits the roof when opening hatch all the way. :mad: It is perfectly fine opening it most of the way. Or I can remount it (will have to buy some double stick tape) further back, and trim the overhanging corners.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm not certain what your goal is here. If your goal is looks, go for it, do whatever makes you happy. If your goal is aerodynamics, I am not a fan. Anything that "sticks up" into the air flow will create turbulence and therefore drag. Extending the current spoiler further back may not hurt, but sticking it up in the air will. I certainly wouldn't spend money to do this, but since you already have the parts...

Have Fun!

Don

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
I think that looks dumb....It looks like those sunroof deflector things...
That's what it is! I got a nice set of window vent visors (aka vent shades) for less that $30, and they included a skyroof visor, of which I do not have. See: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=501019

I will see what kind of difference on the highway it makes (if any), as far as road spray on the back whilst travelling on wet roads.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I'm not a fan but to each their own.

I doubt you'd see any difference on road spray. That is more a byproduct of the aerodynamics of a boxy end and I don't believe that will do anything for it.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Turns out my MPG suffered! On a totally flat stretch of road at 65 MPH, my MPG uncharacteristically consistently ran at under 30 MPG. So I pulled over and ripped off spoiler. I resumed my exact same trek & speed, and my MPG immediately and consistently resumed to normal well over 30 MPG; 33-35 MPG. At one point on the two-lane road that a slow vehicles, I was getting close to 40 MPG at steady 60 MPH.