www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 28th, 2019, 08:28   #1
DivineChaos

Default fuel mileage questions

so first of all i just got a "fixed" 11 jetta sportwagen tdi 54k miles and so far i love it. Both my dad and i got one 78k miles. Mine came from NY ans his FL. Only difference is color and he has a moon roof. I am trying to figure out why im getting less mileage on the highway at the same speeds. I get about 4 mpg less than him on the same route. im talking 6 hour drives at 68mph average both using a/c. I replaced the air filter and that seemed help some. And this is with running 40 psi in tires. Mine does make the annoying eeee-errrrr-errrrrr-eeeee noise from the exhaust flap. any help is appreciated guys. After warranty out its getting tun an propane injection.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2019, 17:49   #2
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Does your dad's have the emissions modifications?

That's pretty high tire pressure if you're not towing or carrying a lot of gear, could lead to uneven/premature tire wear. Consult the door placard for more info, I believe 35 or 36 psi is what's recommended.

If you've got an issue with the exhaust pathway that could be an issue worth investigating. The extended emissions warranty would certainly cover anything related to the exhaust flap, if that is indeed an issue.

All else being equal between the two cars, and no mechanical faults to blame it would likely have to do with driving style. From what I've read on the hypermiling threads it's best to accelerate up to speed briskly, especially between 2-3k rpm, shifting at 3000 rpm.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 09:12   #3
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

First of all congrates, these are great cars. I bought an 11 in Feb and love it. Where either of your cars CPO ?(dealer Certified Previous Owned). The exhaust flap is covered either way under emmisions warrenty.

Heres a new owners info thread you may want to contribute.
forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=496462

If your (non original) tires have higher pressure than o.e. tires, thats what you should run. Some shops set @ door specs simply to be C.Y.A. compliant.

I think PRY4SNO has something about accelerating quickly and higher rpm. I just got back from a trip in the Ca. Coast hills with alot of twisties and low gear pulls. I thought the mpg would be sh!t but I got the best yet. Another conversation/thread here is about correcting the acual mpg reading on the dash (lie-o-meter)��. If you want real mpg figures fuelly.com is great.

As soon as I can, I would love to delete and tune. With the manual it should go for ever
Old July 29th, 2019, 14:10   #4
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

my mpg went up as I ran new fuel through. These CPO's have had the same partial tank sitting through diesel gate for up to 2+ years.
Old July 29th, 2019, 17:21   #5
DivineChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
Does your dad's have the emissions modifications?

That's pretty high tire pressure if you're not towing or carrying a lot of gear, could lead to uneven/premature tire wear. Consult the door placard for more info, I believe 35 or 36 psi is what's recommended.

If you've got an issue with the exhaust pathway that could be an issue worth investigating. The extended emissions warranty would certainly cover anything related to the exhaust flap, if that is indeed an issue.

All else being equal between the two cars, and no mechanical faults to blame it would likely have to do with driving style. From what I've read on the hypermiling threads it's best to accelerate up to speed briskly, especially between 2-3k rpm, shifting at 3000 rpm.
So maybe it isn't opening up all the way? I also hear some other electric motor flipping something under the hood after I shut down. Does actuated it 3 times. They are a eco tire. Was just seeing if it changed mileage. It is regularly loaded with 500lbs of stuff in the back. So have the dealer check exhaust flap for correct opperation?
Old July 29th, 2019, 17:32   #6
DivineChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELLOWSUBMARINE View Post
First of all congrates, these are great cars. I bought an 11 in Feb and love it. Where either of your cars CPO ?(dealer Certified Previous Owned). The exhaust flap is covered either way under emmisions warrenty.

Heres a new owners info thread you may want to contribute.
forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=496462

If your (non original) tires have higher pressure than o.e. tires, thats what you should run. Some shops set @ door specs simply to be C.Y.A. compliant.

I think PRY4SNO has something about accelerating quickly and higher rpm. I just got back from a trip in the Ca. Coast hills with alot of twisties and low gear pulls. I thought the mpg would be sh!t but I got the best yet. Another conversation/thread here is about correcting the acual mpg reading on the dash (lie-o-meter)��. If you want real mpg figures fuelly.com is great.

As soon as I can, I would love to delete and tune. With the manual it should go for ever
Unfortunately neither were cpo. I will definitely be deleting after warranty is up. So the displayed mpg is innacurate? By how bad? So maybe my gauge is just off and mileage is alright? Almost all the station's here sell b10. I did "accidentally" fill up with red fuel. In my defence it was a farmer's town and it was all nontaxed. And I was about empty.
Old July 29th, 2019, 17:33   #7
DivineChaos

Quote:
my mpg went up as I ran new fuel through. These CPO's have had the same partial tank sitting through diesel gate for up to 2+ years.
Thanks for the thought. Maybe something is gummy still. Should have worked out after 5k.
Old July 29th, 2019, 17:34   #8
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Pretty sure you're hearing fuel pumps after you shut off the key.

Never had that issue, so can't say other than search around more to get a better idea. If you don't have a MIL you'll have to pay a diagnostic fee.

500 lbs of stuff in the back regularly is a lot. Be prepared to upgrade your suspension at some point. Finally did mine (200k miles) and life improved remarkably.

Old July 29th, 2019, 17:37   #9
DivineChaos

Thanks for all your guys input. Guess I have to make a dealer trip.
Old August 17th, 2019, 07:44   #10
DivineChaos

ok, so aster i did a hard reset of the ecu. (disconnecting battery for hour) And after resetting all the lights that came on. (man was that a pain) Would you believe the check engine light came on. When checking the code it listed as egr, low flow. i noticed when driving the dpf light came on. So i ran at high speed till it was done with the cycle. after the almost 15 min cycle my mpg returned to almost where it should be. around 40mpg. When i brought it to the dealer i specified what i did and the mileages it was and is now getting.
They had it for maybe 20 minutes. Stated that the dpf needs replacement and that they are over a month backed up waiting on filters from corporate. Also saying how there is almost 100 cars ahead of mine also waiting on dpf replacement.
I left more confused so i called the service tech manager. Upon finding out the sales staff lied through hes teeth to me i was furious. He stated the dpf was replaced as part of the "fix". He clarified that it is part 2 of the recall work. And apologized for the sales staff dishonesty. that unfortunately it is "all too common".
I asked him about my radio. (because it didnt work and was replaced before purchase) He said nothing in my cars file stated the radio was replaced, so either the salesman did it himself or a tech did it under the radar. Being i get a radio communications error and that it was never transferred with sirus, i presume the first.
Old August 17th, 2019, 08:06   #11
DivineChaos

So i delved deep into the ecm flash as part of the fix. Because the nox level was 40x the limit the cars already produced almost no soot. for those of us who didnt know the basis of diesel combustion. The hotter the combustion the less soot and the more nox, the cooler it is the more soot and less nox. So what they did it add a minuscule amount if fuel to combustion to lower the temp thus reducing nox to safe and legal levels. Doing that lowered performance and fuel economy. this produced more soot and halves the life of the filter. Also causing more frequent regens and poorer mpg. So where as the dpf would last 90k before, it will last only 40k now. Hense why the 4 year 44k mile warranty, and why dpf replacement is part 2 of the emissions fix here in america. The ash will build up faster within the dpf. For those who are in emmisions states, one can have ash in the dpf washed out. it does require removal. for those of us who are not in emissions states. I implore you to delete and tune your tdi after the extended warranty expires and hold on to your dpf. I will be adding propane injection First to clean up the exhaust and improve economy/ power. then tuning and deleting my tdi at a later date.
Old August 17th, 2019, 08:26   #12
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Be sure to post a thread about your propane injection build. Will be very interesting to follow.

Old August 17th, 2019, 09:58   #13
DivineChaos

Quote:
Be sure to post a thread about your propane injection build. Will be very interesting to follow.
the kit is 230 that i saw, not including the high pressure hose. i plan on using 1lb tanks and putting multiple in the first under trunk storage. before the underhood regulator adding a fill location. so i can fill all the tanks from the front using a 15lb propane tank. This route i would not loose trunk space or my spare.
Old August 18th, 2019, 06:50   #14
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
X's 2

This isnt my 1st diesel by any stretch but it is my 1st DPF. I love just about everything about the JSW. It is being used as a low use backup, to keep miles down on our new Subaru. Everything an overegulated Ca. emmision choked DPF TDI doesnt like. One more reason to bail from Ca. and delete.

That said, what, if any advantage/help would propane offer?
Old August 18th, 2019, 07:58   #15
DivineChaos

Quote:
X's 2
This isnt my 1st diesel by any stretch but it is my 1st DPF. I love just about everything about the JSW. It is being used as a low use backup, to keep miles down on our new Subaru. Everything an overegulated Ca. emmision choked DPF TDI doesnt like. One more reason to bail from Ca. and delete.
That said, what, if any advantage/help would propane offer?

propane makes it possible for the engine to burn 99% of the injected diesel. This all but eliminates the soot. Key benefits: cleaner exhaust (extending dpf life), about 10% power and torque added. Increases mpg by up to 10 mpg. You can add propane without having to tune or delete.
But You can tune without deleting. Keeps the egr shut when above a temp, increases cold idle speed. with a dsg tune it adjusts shift points and increasess the torque limit. And dont listen to the ppl that say you need 50%+ lpg fumigation. They are using as a power adder.
If used for mileage a max of 30% is needed, which will make it last longer. Main reason i will be doing it will be for the cleaner exhaust, The "fix" halved the lives if our dpfs. Side benefit is mileage and power. depending on the mix will dictate if you break even or not.