www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 25th, 2019, 09:50   #1
Rockeye

Default Rear Brakes Tools Required?

Hello,

New guy here.

I just picked up a 2012 4 dr Golf. While driving around the rear brakes started dragging. So in my attempt to do the job myself I am stuck at trying to get the caliper bracket off. What kind of German witchcraft is required to pull off the long bolt holding the caliper bracket off?
Rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 10:10   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Not sure what you mean. You cannot get it loose? You do not have the proper tool? It will not slide out?

Should be a fairly straightforward rear brake job, lots of cars are set up the same way. Although you may find that the pads and perches just need to be cleaned up and lubed, if the car had been sitting. Brakes last a very long time on these.
Old July 25th, 2019, 10:58   #3
Rockeye

I do not have the tool needed to remove the caliper mounting bracket bolts. After some digging on the internet, I was able to find that it needs a size 14 triple square bit. From what I can tell, its basically spline drive. The bolt head however is the female end and the socket attachment is the male end.

Picked this little set up off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-T...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Apparently no one around my town carries these.
Old July 25th, 2019, 11:31   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It is most certainly not spline drive. It is XZN, or Triple Square.

Read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

VAG has been using XZN on fasteners since 1968 (at least), so nothing new. Other manufacturers use them too. There are lots of them on that car. And the bolts it question are VERY TIGHT, so the cheap stuff may break.
Old July 25th, 2019, 11:39   #5
alext91
Veteran Member

definitely beware of the cheap stuff, I've broken some cheap triple square bits on suspension components before. One of those things worth shelling out for, because a trip to the parts store mid repair is never fun.
1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
1996 Yamaha FZR 600 (Sold)
alext91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 11:57   #6
Rockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
It is most certainly not spline drive. It is XZN, or Triple Square.
Read here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
VAG has been using XZN on fasteners since 1968 (at least), so nothing new. Other manufacturers use them too. There are lots of them on that car. And the bolts it question are VERY TIGHT, so the cheap stuff may break.

Forgive me, this is my first German car. Ive seen all sorts of bolts, but these were new to me. Wish it was something I didn't have to special order :/
Old July 25th, 2019, 11:58   #7
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockeye View Post
Forgive me, this is my first German car. Ive seen all sorts of bolts, but these were new to me. Wish it was something I didn't have to special order :/
They do sell them at auto parts stores, when I broke one recently I was able to get one at AutoZone
1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
1996 Yamaha FZR 600 (Sold)
alext91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 16:12   #8
Rockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by alext91 View Post
They do sell them at auto parts stores, when I broke one recently I was able to get one at AutoZone
I checked every auto parts store in my area (Auto Zone, NAPA, Advanced, O'reilly). None had any. I was able to get that set off of Amazon for pretty cheap. Hopefully they will hold up to a brake job. The pads and rotors are trashed. I guess the PO did something. The car was purchased in Virginia and had a recent inspection on it. Im guessing the dealer just "bought" the sticker.
Old August 4th, 2019, 09:08   #9
Racerman27410

ID parts has the correct hardened socket to remove the rear caliper holder bolts..... and yes the bolts were very very tight on mine..... the tool they sell to rotate the piston back into the caliper also worked very well.

https://www.idparts.com/14mm-triple-square-p-1130.html

https://www.idparts.com/metalnerd-re...-vw-p-402.html

Last edited by Racerman27410; August 4th, 2019 at 09:13.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 17:40   #10
Rockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
ID parts has the correct hardened socket to remove the rear caliper holder bolts..... and yes the bolts were very very tight on mine..... the tool they sell to rotate the piston back into the caliper also worked very well.

https://www.idparts.com/14mm-triple-square-p-1130.html

https://www.idparts.com/metalnerd-re...-vw-p-402.html
The set that I got from Amazon worked really well. If I happen to break any of these, I will check out the ones from idparts. One thing I learned from owning Jeeps, is that penetrating oil (PB Blaster) work wonders.

I happened to have an old block style piston retract tool in my toolbox from probably 15 years ago. worked like a charm.
Old August 8th, 2019, 18:12   #11
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

After doing work on our 2009 tdi for the last 10 years, I now have 1/2 drawer in my toolbox dedicated to VW tools. None of the other cars I own use these kinds of tools.
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:18   #12
Rockeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2UADTDI View Post
After doing work on our 2009 tdi for the last 10 years, I now have 1/2 drawer in my toolbox dedicated to VW tools. None of the other cars I own use these kinds of tools.
Oh God. Don't tell my wife hahaha. Since I returned from deployment there has been something coming in the mail for me almost every day. Granted its all been for something that's going on with either the house, cars, kids, but still.