www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 20th, 2019, 14:16   #1
eagle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta
Default Fuel economy - what am I doing wrong?

Hi, all.

I'm not new to TDIs -- I owned a 2006 Jetta TDI DSG from 2006 to 2010, and managed 38 mpg over the 60k miles I tracked (out of the vehicle's 65k total miles). Best tank was 56 mpg (real), and on trips I easily got high-40s.

About 2 months ago I bought a 2013 Jetta TDI DSG, and my average economy has been 26.8 mpg, with a max of 30.6 (all highway), and with decreasing fuel economy with every tank. I have tried various things to improve my economy (varying my driving style) but nothing seems to work.

My 1.8T had a lifetime economy of 26.7 mpg over the time I tracked it (109,255 miles out of 160k total miles). Best tank was 35.0 (real), so I do know how to get economy out of a car.

Any ideas on how I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Is it hopeless to expect good (TDI-level) fuel economy out of a "fixed" 2013 Jetta TDI w/ DSG?

Thanks.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 14:27   #2
Mike14VW

TDI(s): 2014

Not the only thing you can do but change the fuel filter. I have a 14' non DSG and gained 4 mpg's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Mike14VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 14:49   #3
Mike14VW

Yeah idk, never had it happen b4with changing the filter, the car had sat for a year up to the fix. I had been tracking it since I purchased the car was averaging 43-44 almost every fill up. Changed the filter after half a dozen fill ups and has stayed at 47-48 every fill up.

Old July 20th, 2019, 14:50   #4
Mike14VW

Maybe just a fluke but I did nothing else differently.

Old July 21st, 2019, 04:27   #5
eagle
Veteran Member

Last week I had it at the local shop for an oil change, and had thought of also replacing the fuel filter. I probably should have done it. I did the oil change because I don't know what type of oil the used car lot put in it, and I figure that an oil change is cheap insurance to know that it's the right oil.

Anyway, you can see all of my vehicles Fuelly:
- 2013 TDI: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen...nixdude/925014
- 2006 TDI: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen...nixdude/137846
- 2003 1.8T: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen...nixdude/124470

My car was a VW buyback and it sat for 18 months according to Carfax. Maybe I should just have the filter changed -- no telling whether VW did it, and if they didn't it's probably gunked up.
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:38   #6
Mike14VW

Screenshot of my fuel log is attached. In the first 6 fill ups the only fill up that dropped below 40 was fuel I got at sheets. Do what you want, I was amazed that I gained that much from changing the fuel filter. It is a 6 speed and I do drive it to get the max mpg I can. My driving style has not changed all that much since the filter was changed. I used to have an 84 rabbit and I changed the fuel filter every year or two (was like $8 for the canister and easy to do). I tracked the mileage and never gained any mpg. This car I took to the VW dealer and had it changed because of all the electronics, still looks easy just did not want to mess anything up, if its possible.

Old July 21st, 2019, 09:05   #7
Mike14VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Yr Dsl Veteran View Post
You get much better MPG in HOT weather vs. COLD weather. This could be the answer.
I understand that but middle of may almost into June is when I gained 4 mpg, like switch of a lite bulb....at this time of year, where I'm from.... we should already be out of the winter grade fuel and into warmer temps.... maybe an increase has nothing to do with fuel filter but that would have been the only thing that changed.

Old July 22nd, 2019, 06:54   #8
eagle
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think I'll get the fuel filter changed. Can't hurt -- other than my wallet.

Current tank is showing 22.7 mpg on the computer which has proven to always be 10% high. I can't be that hard on it.

I'm the third owner of the car, and the second since VW had. The owner before me had it for two months, and I wonder if it was for fuel economy or hill hold or delayed throttle response... maybe a combination of all of those.

Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 10:47   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Something is wrong with your car. When is your timing belt due? Time wise it should be changed soon anyway. I would consider finding a trusted mechanic from our list (a known good one) and having the TB changed properly, with all the required parts and set as well as a full service of everything. 20 mpg is just totally unreasonable for a properly running car. I would have requested a full service when I was buying it, personally, and have advocated for this here many times. These cars have sat for long periods sometimes and could really benefit from a good once over redo. Are your regens happening as needed? What is the soot and/or ash load of the dpf filter?
Old July 22nd, 2019, 15:01   #10
eagle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Something is wrong with your car. When is your timing belt due? Time wise it should be changed soon anyway. I would consider finding a trusted mechanic from our list (a known good one) and having the TB changed properly, with all the required parts and set as well as a full service of everything. 20 mpg is just totally unreasonable for a properly running car. I would have requested a full service when I was buying it, personally, and have advocated for this here many times. These cars have sat for long periods sometimes and could really benefit from a good once over redo. Are your regens happening as needed? What is the soot and/or ash load of the dpf filter?
Sorry, I don't know what regens are, and I don't know what a dpf filter is.

They changed the oil but as far as I know that's all they did. I do have a good mechanic - a company run by some local enthusiasts, and they are very fair to customers. Great place.

I'll remember your "full service" tip for the next time I buy a vehicle.

Not sure about the timing belt - I'll check that.
Old July 28th, 2019, 17:44   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You really owe it to yourself to read up here a lot and get familiar with these terms and others. These aren't really cars that tolerate not being taken care of properly or unaware owners (the newer emissions models especially). Nothing against you but there are some things you should be aware of such as the dpf filter (filters soot out of the exhaust stream and requires a burn off every so often, happens automatically and requires replacement when it gets filled with ash. One of the extended warranty items covered.) Regens are when the burn off of the dpf filter happens. About 10 minutes at very hot temperatures every 200 to 300 or so miles depending on what kind of driving you do. City driving will have shorter intervals than highway driving will. I can't explain it all here in one post but there is a ton of info here already for you to read and learn. It also helps to know things to explain to your mechanic better what the issue is. Don't wait too long on that timing belt either. If it breaks for any reason the cost to repair the engine will be great. Good luck and hope you can find the issue. If your mechanic can't find an issue you may want to try one of our trusted mechanics who specialize in these tdi's.
Old July 30th, 2019, 15:25   #12
eagle
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the 2013 TDI is not the same thing as a 2006 TDI. I'll do some research and reading up. Thanks.
Old July 30th, 2019, 17:52   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The 2006 wasn't the same as the 2000 to 2003 either. As they get more complicated there is more to learn. My first was a 2006 Jetta. I have owned about 7 since then of differing years and models.
Old July 30th, 2019, 17:55   #14
eagle
Veteran Member

Yeah, I know that the 90hp model was different from our 100hp 2006 model. What I mean is that the differences between that 100hp 2006 model and the 140hp 2013 model make the new one practically unrecognizable from the old one. It's not simply a newer version of the same thing - it's a completely different thing.
Old July 30th, 2019, 18:07   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not so much in my opinion. Pistons still go up and down and turbo still blows air. Only the exhaust components have some new stuff that is really different.