www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 14th, 2019, 19:45   #1
Wpilot673

Default Malone or Kerma

Just bought a “fixed” 2012 Golf 6 speed with 51000 miles. Looking to start off with a tune and leave the rest stock for now. Later I’m thinking a down pipe and a better clutch maybe. My google searches have brought up older threads about both Malone and Kerma. Any recent reviews on either one ? This will be a daily driver so fuel mileage is a concern but I want a little more fun too. Thanks!
Wpilot673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 22:08   #2
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I think that's like asking BMW or Mercedes, both nice but from my experience on both I'd rather work on the Mercedes. Some will say the opposite just as some will say Malone over kerma...

Email both, communicate your goals and go with your gut. For the mk4s some say Malone feels smoother but the kerma feels more rowdy...my mk4 is kerma tuned and it's pretty rowdy and I like it...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 04:01   #3
calimustang
Veteran Member

I had Malone tune and loved it. The car ran beautiful and very fast and smooth. Increased MPG about 5-10 more depending on the road conditions. They know their stuff. Kerma are good but few people got car issues after having Kerma tune.... but best for you to google it up and decide for yourself. like he said, Mercedes or BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 14:09   #4
Piranhafreak

I recently have a Malone stage 2 tune and I am very happy with it power increase very noticeable mpg gained a little as well. Communication is good when you need it to be but sometimes there is a wait as they seem to be busy
Piranhafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 14:14   #5
calimustang
Veteran Member

Being Busy are a good sign because it shows how popular they are.

Old April 15th, 2019, 14:47   #6
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

First the bad news: I have never heard of anyone who has put both tunes on the same car and then dynoed them both to compare their performance. Therefore, I cannot say that one is superior to the other.

Then the good news: I have also never heard anyone complain about the performance of either tuner's products. Both appear to be excellent.

Often the choice of tuners has more to do with which one is more convenient. Questions like: which one has a dealer close to you? and which one is easier to deal with? and is either having a sale? These decisions are often more important than Kerma vs. Malone.
I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed no matter which way you go.

Have Fun!

Don
Old April 15th, 2019, 14:52   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
First the bad news: I have never heard of anyone who has put both tunes on the same car and then dynoed them both to compare their performance.
I think this is why people so strongly defend what's in their car. They have no point of reference, and a tune, even if it's less than perfect, almost always make the car more fun to drive.

I got my first tune in IBW from Upsolute in 2003 (yikes). Loved it, until I went to my first dyno day and saw dyno pulls from cars with Rocketchip tunes. Had the car re-tuned by RC a few months later and never looked back.

I did have an opportunity to have my A3 tuned by two tuners, and ran dynos with both tunes. The differences were dramatic. So, in my experience, who you pick does matter. I've never worried about warranties, ease of uploading, or getting updates. I had my Wagon last re-tuned by RC when I replaced the engine 90K miles ago. Haven't touched it since. No need to.
Old April 15th, 2019, 17:01   #8
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

I actually read a thread on this end of the forum where someone did run their car on a Malone tune and a kerma tune. Ultimately, they both dynoed about the same the biggest difference between the two was where the engine power was based on throttle. As I understood it, Malone felt more like an even tune throughout the entire throttle, whereas Kerma was more aggressive, like 10% throttle felt like 30%, 50%felt like 80%, ect.

But as others have said, it'd all a matter of opinion. Only reason I went with Malone was because I didn't want to rent/buy a flashzilla and I found a vendor local who would do the tune for me. Plus the tune works better for me since it's my daily, I don't want to feel like I'm driving a racecar all the time. I rode in a golf that had the same hardware I did, but was tuned by Kerma, and it definitely thew you in the seat more than my car does. Fun, yes, but to me it'd get old.
Old April 15th, 2019, 17:39   #9
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

From a business standpoint I'd choose Malone. They have been good to me and easy to deal with. Just Google complaints and make your own decision.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 22:09   #10
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I don't understand why nobody ever seems to talk about Mike@TDTuning.com, I had an Upsolute tune done 12 or 13 years ago and it destroyed my turbo. I fixed the turbo, contacted Mike and have never looked back. I have had no dealings with Kerma, and Malone and I could not come to an agreement about a tune I wanted, so I am still running a TDTuning tune.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Vented, No Kitty, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, TurboLabAmerica Hybrid 15-17/56, VCDS Hex+CAN, S-B Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Koni Orange, New Paint. Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 08:51   #11
Wpilot673

I appreciate the advice. I pulled the trigger on the Kerma tune. It was a 50\50 decision as far as reviews and recommendations. What put me over the edge for Kerma was that someone answered the phone when I called. I couldn't find a number for Malone so I emailed them and didn't get a response for a couple of days . No doubt that they're busy. Plus , Kerma is in USA.
I'll do a full review soon. Hopefully with some Dyno time.
Wpilot673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 20:53   #12
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

"They have no point of reference, and a tune, even if it's less than perfect, almost always make the car more fun to drive." IBW

This is the problem, how do you compare? Same with mods,
we're scattered across the world with different conditions and
vehicles. I'm happy with my setup, but have no real reference
to alternatives. Never been to a GTG, but that's the only place
I think one could have the opportunity to drive a series of different
answers to what turns into a very complicated set of variables.
A weekend with access to something like the Lime Rock Raceway
would be ideal, and a bunch of members willing to swap cars.

Gurus at least have the opportunity to drive a lot of different vehicles, and I value their input whenever they drive mine.

So I read as much as possible, and try to make incremental
upgrades one step at a time. That at least gives a sense of what changes
make what kind of difference. So far so good with a LOT of input
from these forums.

Cheers all!
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:51   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

One thing I loved about the New England TDI owners is we ran dyno days for several years. We would often run upwards of 20 cars in a day. And it gave us a great opportunity to compare how tunes performed regarding how they delivered maximum power. In addition, TDI owners have always been generous about letting other members test drive their tunes. It was a great way to identify what hardware and software you preferred for your own car.

I switched to Rocketchip from Upsolute after looking at max outputs and dyno curves at the New England Dyno day in 2004. Others have switched based on dyno data as well. Although that's not the whole story, it's good data.

I think I've totaled about 80 dyno pulls in IBW. Poor thing.
Old April 18th, 2019, 08:37   #14
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

We have had some Dyno days, tuning events and GTG here a ways back. Nothing though for the last few years or more though. They were good when they happened. Kind of like TDI Fest going away.
Old April 18th, 2019, 11:41   #15
calimustang
Veteran Member

Default Malone or Kerma

Just wait.... now TDI’s coming back and selling like hot pancakes because they are getting real cheap with amazing warranty that no other companies can beat that. TDI fest may come back soon as more owners are buying them nowadays.