www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old March 12th, 2019, 14:27   #1
Pittdawg

Default ZF8 Tune?

Is there anyone who provides a TCU remap for the 8 speed Tiptronic ZF transmissions found on the U.S. Spec Q5 TDI? I can only find comnpanies offering TCU tunes for the 3.0TFSI or a S-Tronic based TDI.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 23:04   #2
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

There are a few tuners but probably none offers remote tuning for the ZF8 (AL551).
See TVS engineering dealer in US, maybe they can loan you the tool to write it.
Old March 16th, 2019, 03:05   #3
bahiaeternal
Veteran Member

I've tried looking as well and no dice on my ZF A7. Malone said they would consider offering it in the future but that was like 6 months ago.
bahiaeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 03:57   #4
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
Is there anyone who provides a TCU remap for the 8 speed Tiptronic ZF transmissions found on the U.S. Spec Q5 TDI? I can only find comnpanies offering TCU tunes for the 3.0TFSI or a S-Tronic based TDI.
Following.... About to get a Malone on a '16 A6 but from chatting with them there is nothing to be done to the transmission aspect right now like you would with a DSG transmission.....
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 14:53   #5
bahiaeternal
Veteran Member

Please let us know what you think of tune. I have the same year TDI and debating if I should chip. Ive owned a diesel since 01 and have been always chipped on the 2.0. The 3.0 is the ultimate when chipped. Congrats on your car btw.
bahiaeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 23:35   #6
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

The ZF8 transmission is pretty powerful as it is. There is no big interest in wasting much time improving it for street use.
With stock transmission software the A7 3.0 tdi went 11s / 402m many times so why bother.
With more extreme setup and light weight opponents went 10.8s /402m.
Pretty good times for stock trans.
Old March 19th, 2019, 15:26   #7
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
The ZF8 transmission is pretty powerful as it is. There is no big interest in wasting much time improving it for street use.
With stock transmission software the A7 3.0 tdi went 11s / 402m many times so why bother.
With more extreme setup and light weight opponents went 10.8s /402m.
Pretty good times for stock trans.
My biggest issue is the off the line performance; it seems more transmission related than turbo lag related as you floor it and it takes seemingly a couple seconds before the vehicle moves at all. The EPA "fix" only seemed to exacerbate the issue.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 22:07   #8
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Off the line the car was doing 60ft in 1.5s with drag tires .pretty impressive for such a big car.
But at that point i suspect gearbox was tuned and modified inside for more torque. Ours was doing 1.7s iirc.
You can try and put european software or get somebody to tune it.

Send an email to tvs engineering. They said they tuned a few.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old March 20th, 2019, 07:32   #9
diffas
Veteran Member

Beams don't know when you push the pedal, only car moving thru the beams so 60ft is totally off topic here.
diffas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 07:45   #10
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

A little update. I currently have a new thread started in the Audi section of TDI Club.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497540

I'm located in Chicago, and just got a '16 A6 and had planned to get the Malone Tune. Fast forward a few days and my buddy who owns a dealership has a friend with a performance shop.

I'm not getting the Malone anymore and the car is in the shop getting a custom tune and dyno'd by APM Tuned in Villa Park which is just west of Chicago. They have not done a TCU tune for this transmission but have worked out many for other cars. After some tinkering and having the car for almost two days they have done an ECU and TCU tune on the car. I've asked them to err on the side of conservative tuning as I won't be deleting any emissions equipment nor do I want to be rolling coal nor any heat issues on WOT runs.

I should be picking it up in a few hours but they have said everything came together really well when I got off the phone last night. They wanted to make some fine tune adjustments today. I did request the Dyno numbers so I hope to share as much information as I can.
Old March 26th, 2019, 06:04   #11
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Apologize for the delay. Been living in the car between driving and tinkering all weekend. I received the car Friday and have been driving around sometimes for no reason at all. Have logged 200 miles.

Here are the dyno results. They did exactly what I asked as far as power. It was conservative in the fact it didn't send the emissions equipment (which I don't plant to delete) into a hissy fit and kept everything smooth across the powerband.

This measurement is to the wheels not engine power. It added 30 hp and 20 torque. Nothing huge, but paired with the TCU tune is where it becomes fun. Shifts into 3rd, 4th and 5th feel like they pull harder and resuck you back into your seat at each shift. Keeping the car in Dynamic mode and Sport, the revs always stay in a spot where I'm driving along regularly and decide to step on it the power is there instantly. No lag. Go back into Comfort mode and all is calm. Currently with spirited driving mixed between city and highway 50/50. I'm at 31.8 mpg. I will do a hand calculation when I fill up.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GA...ew?usp=sharing
Old March 26th, 2019, 06:08   #12
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Here is what they told me:
"With the TCU upgrade we increased the torque limiter while increasing the speed and quality of each shift. When the car is in Dynamic-Sport mode, your tune will shift to the next gear quickly and smoothly minimizing the jerk motion when re-accelerating through shifts as you are used to. You are being pulled gear to gear instead of shifted in essence. Continuous power moving you forward at all times from quicker shifts and most aggressive in torque requested limiters. You now have minimal to no lag between gears. Hope this explains why you said you felt as if your being pulled harder in the higher gears.

As you asked, we kept the EGT/Turbo temps at a safe level to protect the car. Keeping the heat under control is why the power/torque increases were not as high they could have been for the ECU tune especially true when comparing to numbers you read online. Since your goal was to raise power, improve and smooth out shifting, while trying to protect emissions equipment (until you decide to delete, then we will really get some power!) We tried and I believe succeeded, to build a custom tune that produced the results you desired.

I'm seeing if they can do a remote tune for this, but customizing it all I'd think you need to be onsite.

Last edited by Huskies2710; March 28th, 2019 at 10:42.
Old April 8th, 2019, 16:59   #13
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Here are the power numbers to the engine with the ECU/TCU tune.

Old April 8th, 2019, 18:43   #14
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
My biggest issue is the off the line performance; it seems more transmission related than turbo lag related as you floor it and it takes seemingly a couple seconds before the vehicle moves at all. The EPA "fix" only seemed to exacerbate the issue.
Can you stall the converter to get it 'up and ready' sooner?

I suppose that might just make the car protect you from yourself...
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2019, 18:54   #15
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

There's little that transmission software alone can do about initial acceleration off the line unless it is artificially limiting engine torque. The trans starts out in 1st gear and the 1st gear ratio is what it is. The torque converter starts out multiplying torque determined by its physical characteristics. Highly likely that slow response off the line is determined by something the engine (or its controls) is doing, not the transmission.

Shift calibration, both shift timing and speed, is another matter, very much determined by the electronics and mapping/programming.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote