www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 27th, 2019, 12:43   #31
mech644
Veteran Member

HID’s? Having owned 2 Touaregs and driven several others, personally I would get hung up on buying one with rather than without.
If the Touareg your looking at has halogens then it most likely does NOT have:
1- leather seats but rather V-tex, which is another way of saying plastic with holes in it. For what it cost to buy a Touareg should not have to settle for parking your backside on plastic.
2- heated steering wheel. Really like this, could certainly live without it, but it sure makes the daily winter commute more pleasant.

I’ve found the HID’s to be far superior to the halogens. From spring thru summer often experience dense fog on road ways in evenings up this way; much better vis with the HID’s, less back scatter reflections and can utilize hi beam in denser fog than with halogens.
A halogen reflector with anything other than a halogen bulb in it is very offensive (and often dangerous) to oncoming cars and anyone who is being followed.

Just my spoiled American 1st world opinion.
2015 GHB SEL 1.8 tsi
2014 Touareg
mech644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 23:04   #32
RomSL
Veteran Member

A diesel Cayenne with air suspension is a unicorn in US. If I was looking for a diesel German SUV I would pick X5 35d F15. No post-fix bs, engine, transmission, interior, technology are way better in X5 even compared to a Cayenne not to mention Treg.

I have both an X5 and a Cayenne.
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:38   #33
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomSL View Post
A diesel Cayenne with air suspension is a unicorn in US. If I was looking for a diesel German SUV I would pick X5 35d F15. No post-fix bs, engine, transmission, interior, technology are way better in X5 even compared to a Cayenne not to mention Treg.

I have both an X5 and a Cayenne.

My neighbor bought a diesel X5 and has had a recurring nightmare when it randomly decides not to start due to a balky switch that has been replaced multiple times. To each their own.
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 21:15   #34
RomSL
Veteran Member

I personally had 2 X5 35d - E70 and F15. Never had any major issues.
Old June 16th, 2019, 06:23   #35
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Every car is different.I mean the same models. I have been fortunate to have had 2 TREGs and no serious issues, you will hear horror stories from some with the same model. Buy if you have the ability to fix things if they break, better yet buy one you like and get a 5-10 yr extended warranty. It will be the best 3000 bucks you can spend on an expensive German car. BTW a 2016 fixed Touareg which was never registered until the fix has a new car warranty and 100,000mile 10yr warranty on the emissions and drive train.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 07:02   #36
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

I just bought a '16 that wasn't registered until '18 and the dealer apparently put 20k on it waiting for the fix to happen...so it looks like I'll have a warranty until 2028 and 120k mi.

Hope I don't need it.
mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 07:53   #37
Carpe Vinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trae View Post
Hello to all. My last Diesel, an MB ML350 Bluetec, just totaled itself by blowing up its engine. When I bought it had wanted a Touareg, but they were scarce to come by due to the recall, and out of my price range.
Am seriously considering the 3.0 Touareg and test drove a 2013 with 56k miles last night. Now they are in my price range. Solid. It has a warranty on some items through 100k and an additional 4 year/48k warranty on exhaust/drievtrain/turbo/other items resulting from the recall, which warranty kicked in in October 2018.
So things look good from the warranty perspective. I feel I got burned with the Benz, as of course after I bought it, I found out on the MB forums that the Bluetec 3.0 would occasionally blow up for no apparent reason. Mine threw a rod through the oil pan at 102k which should never happen with a Benz other than due to a manufacturing or assembly defect. But, my mechanic advised he knew of a few instances of this. He strongly steered me away from BMW X5s, so as far as diesel SUVs that leaves the Touareg.
I appreciate any comments from 3.0 TDi Touareg owners as to their experiences and comments regarding any issues with these vehices. Long ago I used to drive B3/B4 TDis and apart from window regulators, they were tough as a bag of hammers. That was my impression of Mercedes diesels also until my ML350 self destructed despite impeccable maintenance. We really liked the Touareg and want something diesel that will last, Any/all comments appreciated.
Thanks,
T.Rae
trae: I'm very late to this conversation. Did you get a Touareg TDI or other VAG diesel?
Carpe Vinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 15:42   #38
casioqv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Yr Dsl Veteran View Post
Yes!!! You should get one, especially now that VW is releasing the bought back TDIs with the "emissions fix". You can get a "fixed" TDI fresh from VW at VW dealerships. Just tell them specifically what you want, and they can get 'em.

You sure this is true? I called a dealer and he basically laughed at me about the idea of ordering a recalled car, and said it was impossible for them to choose what options, colors, etc. they will get.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 16:40   #39
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
You sure this is true? I called a dealer and he basically laughed at me about the idea of ordering a recalled car, and said it was impossible for them to choose what options, colors, etc. they will get.
They absolutely can choose. They have access to an auction site where cars available for sale are posted daily. They can't request a car, but they can watch for and bid on a vehicle that meets your criteria. That's how I got my '15 Passat. They just have to want to be bothered to do it.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 05:06   #40
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Seems like the VW dealers are getting them DIRECTLY from VW Corporate. No middleman auction involved.
Nope, they go through the auction sites just like everything else. Which is why so many are ending up on can lots all over the country. The dealers early on were offered to bid first, but that era has since passed by. Sloppy Seconds are mostly what is left. And to be honest, from what I have seen, it is really hit or miss as to the condition of these cars. Most are fine, some are really rough.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 11:29   #41
oilhammer

Quote:
Well my one owner, 2012 w/80K miles it literally in like new condition inside and out. I did pay $15,800 though.

The car pictured in the linked thread looked like new on top and in the interior, too. But underneath told a VERY different story. Which is why it pays to look the car over thoroughly.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497194

And that car was also a 2012, one owner, with only 62k miles on the clock.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 12:48   #42
casioqv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
They absolutely can choose. They have access to an auction site where cars available for sale are posted daily. They can't request a car, but they can watch for and bid on a vehicle that meets your criteria. That's how I got my '15 Passat. They just have to want to be bothered to do it.

I called a few more VW dealerships today seeing if they could find a 09-10 TDI Treg with air suspension... they all acted like I was a crazy person for even suggesting this idea. I'm guessing there just isn't enough money involved to be worth their time.
Old July 25th, 2019, 12:42   #43
casioqv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Air suspension is just more things to go wrong!

I'd use a Touareg as a softroader/expedition vehicle of sorts... the air suspension is to get enough clearance to avoid undercarriage damage. Steel would be fine for me if I could find a good skid plate instead, it seems I'll go that route since the air suspension is impossible to find.

BMWs tend to have very stiff shocks, so I'm not surprised the BMW wasn't smoother than a Touareg, but I'd bet the air Touareg is smoother.
Old July 26th, 2019, 11:05   #44
casioqv
Veteran Member

Quote:
I saw a video on a BMW sedan where the air suspension was adjustable (you could raise or lower the body) with a simple switch on the console, but the X5 was NOT.
Check out this video... the Touareg w/ air suspension has more ground clearance than a Jeep Wrangler at max height, and can also get about as low as a Golf when parked to make it easy to load/unload.

"We're SHOCKED And Surprised By How Our Cheap VW Touareg Performed Off-Road!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7aKkKOIvbQ

Unfortunately, it seems like it's near impossible to find a Touareg diesel w/ air suspension that has the V6, only the V10 models commonly have it. They supposedly were sold, but for example I can't find a single one in the entire USA right now on AutoTrader. The V10 is really a totally different car from what I hear, it's an exotic supercar loaded with outrageous features from Webasto heaters to powerful onboard air to diff locks vs a relatively simple practical family SUV in the V6 models.

Last edited by casioqv; July 26th, 2019 at 11:11.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2019, 11:28   #45
oilhammer

Air suspension is an almost guaranteed failure point. No matter what it's on. Which is why so many conversion kits exist.

I have a 2001 Audi Allroad that over the years I have replaced at least 12 air springs. At least the replacements are available in the aftermarket, and cost a lot less, and in some cases have a pretty generous warranty.

Lots of LS400s got scrapped due to bad air suspension. I do not doubt its ability to provide a nice dynamic ride and features not available with coil springs. But know that you'll have to pay for it in the long run.