www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 9th, 2019, 07:08   #16
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

That's why I'm asking pump leak victims to find out if dealers are replacing these with conventional, non-variable pumps. There are reports that that is the case and there appears to be a TSB on it, which makes sense with such a potentially disastrous failure. If true, it would be a shame to lose the extra quick warm-up feature of that pump, though, and as such, its probably considered an integral part of the emissions system. Perhaps an improved variable-flow pump is in the pipeline and a conventional pump is just a stop-gap measure until the redesigned one is available.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
RIP TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 10:09   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
Perhaps an improved variable-flow pump is in the pipeline and a conventional pump is just a stop-gap measure until the redesigned one is available.
I wouldn't hold my breath, but there's hope.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 10:14   #18
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

Id rather have no variable anything. Straight mechanical and no electrical. If your at 70000 miles and the variable water pump dies ya just as well do the whole TB job cause it would just cost alil bit more for parts.
Old January 9th, 2019, 19:05   #19
bigb
Veteran Member

When I have time I am going to pull the underbelly and see if I can poke a borescope up inside the timing cover anywhere and look for red stains. I was able to find a small leak on my Powerstoke this way before it got bad
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 19:18   #20
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
Here is what appears to be a common failure mode for the variable flow water pump. The metal blocking sleeve is stuck in the activated "cold" position, covering the impeller blades; it should be sitting below the impeller in the normally open rest position.

This failure would, of course, cause overheating. Don't know whether early pump external leakage would contribute to this sleeve seizure at a later date.

And the service training pdf assures that this won't happpen

Old January 9th, 2019, 20:04   #21
BamaB4S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/47/52 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern_TDI View Post
Id rather have no variable anything. Straight mechanical and no electrical. If your at 70000 miles and the variable water pump dies ya just as well do the whole TB job cause it would just cost alil bit more for parts.
This ^^
Reminds me of the variable adjusting suspension they put in the Lincoln. Good intentions but poorly engineered - designed to fail and costly to repair.
BamaB4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 22:01   #22
TDI WNY

I won't know status of my vehicles repair till Saturday. According to the dealer the part hasn't arrived. ? I'll update as soon as I know something.
TDI WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 18:33   #23
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI WNY View Post
I won't know status of my vehicles repair till Saturday. According to the dealer the part hasn't arrived. ? I'll update as soon as I know something.
Which dealer did you take it to? Northtown, Towne, Basil, or Orchard Park?
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 38k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 228hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 438k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter ....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 14:47   #24
TDI WNY

Just got my car back from Basil. The new pump which they said took longer to receive than expected is 04L-121-011-L. The service writer didn't know the difference between variable flow or constant flow and said he did ask the tech. I have 39010 miles on my odometer, fully covered no charge repair under normal powertrain warranty. The car heats up normally.

Last edited by TDI WNY; January 13th, 2019 at 08:40. Reason: More details
Old January 12th, 2019, 15:19   #25
xabjw4

Fuel Economy: to 3,000 miles, 46 mpg tops

2015 Golf SW TDI. My tank was low a few times. They found a crack in the side of the radiator tank on the left drivers side. Replaced in for free, no more problems, maintains level between the low and normal line.
xabjw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 17:04   #26
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just got my car back from Basil. Northtown doesn't like replacing all of the belly pan screws. I've never been to Orchard Park or Towne since they bought Schmidt's. The new pump which they said took longer to receive than expected is 04L-121-011-L. According to Chris Bell this is the non variable pump. The service writer didn't know the difference and said he did ask the tech. There was no charge, no car wash and no breakfast bagels/doughnuts. I am curious where WNYers' take their TDIs to? Northtown, Towne, Basil, or Orchard Park? Reviews run 10% unhappy for every dealer around here.
Please let us know if you notice any longer warm-up time due to the non-variable pump. Are you still under the 3/36 warranty?
Old January 12th, 2019, 17:28   #27
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
The new pump which they said took longer to receive than expected is 04L-121-011-L. According to Chris Bell this is the non variable pump. The service writer didn't know the difference and said he did ask the tech.
Actually we still don't know which pump that is. Whether that number is already a super-cession or the part is a redesign without a new p/n isn't clear. Dealer online parts catalogs only list 04L121011L and 04L121011EX which is the same part but rebuilt vs. new.

Only a visual would have confirmed which pump this is.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
RIP TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:06   #28
Z85rado

We had the red triangle show on Thanksgiving day... while already late. Checked coolant and it was a hair below the sensor. It only makes an appearance on cold cold days after the vehicle has sat over night. I just ordered an oil change kit and coolant from IDPARTS to top it off. I'll keep an eye on it from there. 28.5K on ours. Need to go to the dealer for the passenger side rear window being INOP, I will have them check it at that point.

I did the 20k and will do the oil soon so this doesn't see a dealer often.
Z85rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 08:46   #29
TDI WNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Please let us know if you notice any longer warm-up time due to the non-variable pump. Are you still under the 3/36 warranty?
I have 39010 on the odometer. Repair covered under powertrain warranty. Warm up time seems normal.
Old January 14th, 2019, 18:43   #30
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I've only taken car to where I bought it from, Dorschel in Rochester. They've treated me pretty decent so far. They gave me a loaner for the phase 2 fix, wasn't sure if it was gonna be complete or partial, ended up being partial plus horn replacement, and didn't charge me for loaner.
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 38k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 228hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 438k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter ....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote