www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 1st, 2018, 20:27   #1
jimigunne

Default Antiskid is trying to kill me....

There is a malfunction of anti-skid system occurring now. But not the result of working on lh drive
Axle and suspension. My son had told me prior to this work on car that once or twice the anti-skid light had flashed on and the steering wheel moved/veered.... but i could not duplicate problem. Now i am. In 50 miles of highway driving it usually only flashes on for a second maybe twice. But the steering veers hard to the right every time, forcing me to correct very hard to the left. Very unsafe! I have vcds which i can run on a laptop. What codes do i look for? Since its suddenly pulling to right every time, which wheel speed sensor should i check? I wish there was a way to temporarily disable this safety feature....its unsafe! It is bumps on the road that set it off, yes....but every time its been minor bumps.....while hitting major bumps or ruts so far has not caused the anti-skid/ swerving problem.
Yes, i know that the anti-skid system is sensitive and so its normal for the light to flash sometimes....but i think not for such small bumps, and especially for the car to swerve strongly to the right!
jimigunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 21:43   #2
jimigunne

I suppose the swerve to right is just what it should do, trying to counteract an erroneous skid being sensed. Maybe its the sensor. I know this is buried somewhere in the dash....how is it accessed and are replacents readily available?
Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:44   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Run a full scan, that should give you any codes that the ecu is sensing, then you can scan that specific sub system if needed.

You probably have a bad wheel speed sensor or dirty/bent sensor ring.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:01   #4
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

If you disconnect a wheel sensor it should disable the function. The system can not determine if you are skidding if it does not get feedback from all the wheel sensors.

You might check the axle bolt to make sure that it is not loose and causing the wheel to change the proximity between the sensor and the tone wheel. Another possibility is if the sensor is not fully seated in it's bore. It may be on the threshold of picking up the signal and small variations in distance could cause the ABS to trip.

Logging the wheels speeds with VCDS should help to identify a rogue wheel. I believe that it is group 2 in the measuring blocks of the ABS controller.
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 06:26   #5
KLXD
Veteran Member

No mention of you applying brakes. This happens when you're not braking?

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 12:57   #6
jimigunne

Oh yea, not braking. Seems like the fact that it always veers to the right should tell me which speed sensor to check, right? It will be a while before i can run vcds. Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:16   #7
jimigunne

All i did was clean left and right wheel speed sensors.....now steering problems gone!
Old August 17th, 2019, 13:08   #8
Warthog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see Bio
Fuel Economy: VW:49-53 depends on car, 40-0n the B5

At least your ABS did not apply the brakes!

Here is what happened on my 2005 TDI:
I have a bad left-front wheel sensor (VCDS says) and the ABS light has been lit off and on for a while.
Yesterday, Aug 15, I was going along at 45mph and suddenly the ABS light started flashing and the brakes applied all by themselves! . I had a "fun" time fighting the car to a safe position on the road. I got the brakes to RELEASE by stomping on the brake pedal! Then I returned home and although the light came on, I did not have the unwanted braking again.

I'd like to disable the ABS until I can get the repair work done but it appears fuse #9 not only supplies power to the ABS but also some other engine control functions. There is also a second fuse, #42, listed for the ABS only.

I need to use the car NOW...This appears to be another of those "safety systems" that is dangerous when it malfunctions! Like the crashbags with the warning..."This safety thing can injure or kill you".
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote