www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 24th, 2019, 00:11   #31
DrSchultze
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Denmark
Default

I used this kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254136111708

I think that all the tests with blue fluid are more or less the same, I'm no chemist but I don't think that there that many chemical reactions with CO2, that makes something change color from blue to yellow or green.

The difference in color between gasoline and diesel, must be due to some additional gas in either of them.

But what are the sensitivity of the test? Normally you wouldn'd carry out such a test, unless you suspect a blown head gasket, because of a mystery water loss or after the engine had overheated, and starting acting up, and in most cases you would just get a confirmation of the obvious.

But if the test is sensitive enough to detect that you popped a soda next to the expansion tank last week, it's really just an indication that you *might* have a leak somewhere. But I'm just guessing here

It would be interesting to do the test on a known good engine.
DrSchultze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 11:35   #32
mm-rocco
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016
Thumbs up

I am so glad I found this topic ! Hopefully we can solve the puzzle together !
I imported a MK7 GTD 2016 form Germany into the Netherlands with 93.000km in march 2019. I had to refill coolant quite a few times now and noticed that this always occurs on long drives (5 hour) and sometimes on shorter drives (1 hour) and only on motorways doing 100 – 130 KM/H (60 – 75 MpH).

I could not find any leakage, no coolant on the floor of the garage. We checked the car with VCDS and could not find any errors, we forced a DPF with VCDS and noticed there was coolant coming underneath the reservoir.

At first I thought the reservoir would be broken so I bought a new one. The reason there is coolant coming underneath the reservoir is because there is a small overflow pipe going through the reservoir. When the pressure is over 2 BAR the coolant is released through the pipe.

After the forced DPF and the loss of coolant I was convinced that the overpressure in the coolingsystem is related to the DPF. As I can not always drive around with a laptops and VCDS-cable I bought a bluetooth CANBUS connector and bought the app VAG DPF. This gives a dashboard with counters on the DPF process. This way I exactly know when the DPF starts and finishes.





My coolant temp on the dashboard stays 90 Celcius and my oiltemp is varying from 100 – 105. The DPF is done every 200 - 350 km. When i put the DSG in S-mode just after the DPF proces finishes and drive it more sportly i sometimes manage to not overflow the coolant, the coolant still rises almost to the cap but does not overflow.

I imported the car from a VW dealership and I still have warranty. I am allowed to let my dutch VW dealership to investigate the problem. But,……what to test, check, fix or replace ???

Last edited by mm-rocco; August 1st, 2019 at 11:45.
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 22:08   #33
bigb
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm-rocco View Post




My coolant temp on the dashboard stays 90 Celcius and my oiltemp is varying from 100 – 105. The DPF is done every 200 - 350 km. When i put the DSG in S-mode just after the DPF proces finishes and drive it more sportly i sometimes manage to not overflow the coolant, the coolant still rises almost to the cap but does not overflow.

I imported the car from a VW dealership and I still have warranty. I am allowed to let my dutch VW dealership to investigate the problem. But,……what to test, check, fix or replace ???
I don't have anything except that the dash coolant gauge is not an accurate way to measure coolant temp, I recently discovered that when I was monitoring it with Torque Pro. I saw the ECT range from 194 to 220F and the dash gauge never budged from it's straight up position which reads 200F. I am not sure how hot ECT would have to get before the dash gauge actually moves from center but I would suggest monitoring it with something else to get the true ECT.
__________________
Brian...
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 02:39   #34
mm-rocco
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I don't have anything except that the dash coolant gauge is not an accurate way to measure coolant temp, I recently discovered that when I was monitoring it with Torque Pro. I saw the ECT range from 194 to 220F and the dash gauge never budged from it's straight up position which reads 200F. I am not sure how hot ECT would have to get before the dash gauge actually moves from center but I would suggest monitoring it with something else to get the true ECT.

Thx....this sounds like a more accurate reading, 90 - 104 celcius is not alarming yet but could be a great reading relating to the coolant blow out.
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 02:42   #35
mm-rocco
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016
Default

Today i tested the interior heating, all the vents were blowing out very hot air. But when it was DPF de-generating again i noticed that the level of the coolant did not rise this time and there was no blow out of coolant. There must be a link between the two....driving around in the winter or in colder regions with the heating always on probably does not help with solving this solving as it does not occur or not that often.

Last edited by mm-rocco; August 3rd, 2019 at 02:45.
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 13:10   #36
bigb
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Arizona
Default

I paid special attention yesterday while I was on the highway to see if a regen would affect ECT, it wasn't really noticeable. Maybe 3 or 4 degrees F but that could have been the grade, or the outside temp but ECT definitely does not spike during a regen while driving.

When you forced your regen was it a standing regen? It would be interesting to watch ECT during a standing regen.
__________________
Brian...
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 13:14   #37
mm-rocco
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I paid special attention yesterday while I was on the highway to see if a regen would affect ECT, it wasn't really noticeable. Maybe 3 or 4 degrees F but that could have been the grade, or the outside temp but ECT definitely does not spike during a regen while driving.

When you forced your regen was it a standing regen? It would be interesting to watch ECT during a standing regen.

Thx ! We did do a standing REGEN and the coolant was pooring out.
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 14:31   #38
bigb
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm-rocco View Post
Thx ! We did do a standing REGEN and the coolant was pooring out.
Can you tell me how long does a standing regen take, and does it reset the counters as if it were a normal regen? Say if you were due to regen in about 10 miles but you forced it early, will the counters reset or will you get another one at the 10 miles?
__________________
Brian...
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 14:34   #39
mm-rocco
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Can you tell me how long does a standing regen take, and does it reset the counters as if it were a normal regen? Say if you were due to regen in about 10 miles but you forced it early, will the counters reset or will you get another one at the 10 miles?

I think it took about 15 minutes and the counters will reset like doing an normal REGEN.
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 17:44   #40
bigb
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Arizona
Default

OK thanks. Please keep us updated on your issue...
__________________
Brian...
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 05:50   #41
AdrianC
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ireland
TDI(s): Golf VII GTD
Default

Good afternoon all,

A few more people posting the same problems I see. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this sooner..

Been absent for the past while after a period of inactivity with Coolant Overflow.
Everything seemed to be going fine until this morning.

Just had my most recent coolant blowout after 500 miles and during regeneration as i was travelling back home..
Did not have access to VCDS as i was driving at the time..

Definitely notice a temperature change in the vents on the dash from drivers side to passenger side..

It has to be related somehow..
AdrianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 09:24   #42
Spipa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): Mk 7 GTD
Default

Hi guys,

So it seems like we can assume that the coolant overflow only happens during dpf regen. That makes me wonder if i bring my gtd to a tuner to deactivate the dpf through coding (without physically removing it) won’t that probably solve the problem?
Spipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 00:20   #43
DrSchultze
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Denmark
Default

If it's possible to disable DPF regen through software, that would most likely be a bad solution. DPF regen happens when the filter is clogged with soot, and serves to convert the soot into ash. So if you disabled regen, you would end up with a completely clogged filter, and a car that wont run.

It's approx 1200km since I replaced my heater core, and I haven't had a boilout since. It's worth noting that when the boilouts started I still had heat from the vents, but it disappeared over time, as the heater core vent from sligthly clogged to completely blocked.

It does still seem to be using up water, and I suspect that the EGR cooler has been damaged from overheating because of insufficient flow of coolant.
DrSchultze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 05:38   #44
Spipa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Netherlands
TDI(s): Mk 7 GTD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSchultze View Post

It's approx 1200km since I replaced my heater core, and I haven't had a boilout since. It's worth noting that when the boilouts started I still had heat from the vents, but it disappeared over time, as the heater core vent from sligthly clogged to completely blocked.

It does still seem to be using up water, and I suspect that the EGR cooler has been damaged from overheating because of insufficient flow of coolant.
Hi Schultze,

Could you tell me how much time there was between the first time coolant boiled out and the moment you replaced the heater core?
Spipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 05:52   #45
DrSchultze
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Denmark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spipa View Post
Could you tell me how much time there was between the first time coolant boiled out and the moment you replaced the heater core?
Somewhere in the order of 5-6000km. over about 3 months. The first few times I didn't took much notice of it, as it only happened every 800-1000km.

But I'm unsure if the boilout happened on every DPF regen in the beginning, or if I just had a lot of passive regeneration at that time.
DrSchultze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coolant Expansion Tank Kray-Z VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs 4 January 11th, 2011 07:15
Coolant Expansion Jug Cap wny_pat VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 2 June 10th, 2006 08:36
Dirt in coolant expansion tank? Diesel Addict TDI 101 54 May 22nd, 2006 00:13
Coolant expansion reservoir.. silverbeast VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 6 September 29th, 2005 11:39
coolant leak from expansion tank? Platinumbird30 TDI 101 4 January 27th, 2004 16:02


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16694 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 129.88 Kb. compressed to 109.13 Kb. by saving 20.75 Kb. (15.97%)]