www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old June 12th, 2017, 15:20   #16
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

In addition to my regular driving, I drive 2,950 miles (4,700km) every fall to Mexico and return in the spring. Not a hope in blazes I'd try to do that in an EV. It would take a month one way. Either I give out or the Passat will, but that's what I'll be driving.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:54   #17
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2TDI View Post
I agree, time will only tell what the future of IC engines will be
Sames future as the steam engine faced when the IC engine arrived. We are at the begining of an era like that and just as then, there are many that think the IC will be here for a long time.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 13:11   #18
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Sames future as the steam engine faced when the IC engine arrived. We are at the begining of an era like that and just as then, there are many that think the IC will be here for a long time.
Except steam is still very much in use today. Maybe not in cars, but in power generation it is fairly common.

Horses are still around, too. And lots of "outdated" technology is still in use all over the world. Why? Because it works, it's cheap, and it's reliable.
Old June 13th, 2017, 13:55   #19
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Power generation uses steam turbines and not steam piston engines. The piston version is more or less a novelty. Horses are used in third world countries not becauee they work but because they have no money for machinery. The IC engine will be around but it will become a novelty. All is needed is a jump in battery technology and the end will be here for them.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 04:48   #20
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Steam locomotives are still very much in use in many parts of Africa even today.

They are still in use in Cuba, Indonesia, and China was still using them (heck, they were still building them) up until just a few years ago.

Poland still has a handful of them in use too.

No, these are not major networks of trains necessarily, but in this country we've sadly moved away from major train networks too, and replaced it with hordes of giant semi trucks all over the Interstates... not sure that is a good thing.

ICE vehicles burning gasoline and diesel will still be in widespread use in much of the world for a long time to come. Even if the rate of increase slows down (or stops) and just stays at the status it is now and every new vehicle sold is electric, that will STILL mean we'll be seeing them for 50+ years yet.

They may change and morph somewhat, but clearly there has been no desire to even embrace the advancements we already had 20 years ago when the Prius first came out. Back then, Toyota stated that they'd have a hybrid version of every car, truck, and van they make within 10 years, and that within 20 years, EVERY car, truck, and van they make will be a hybrid. It will become standard. Well, guess what?

That has not happened. Not even close. Toyota's own non-hybrid sales outpace their hybrids by a HUGE margin, despite adding a few more hybrid models to their lineup... all of which are an "optional" version of an existing car save for the Prius models and those stillborn sales Lexus models like the HS.

But you can go to a Toyota dealer and buy a giant V8 powered pickup truck!
Old June 19th, 2017, 17:36   #21
craig01b
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

On a totally different vein .... if you get a Mazda, get good rustproofing. I have seen rot on their cars in the last few years, that rivals mid 1970 fords! 2009 5, never accidented, and both rear 1/4 panels rotted right thru! And that was last year. So spend a litttle money on a good undercoating if you plan to keep it.
Old June 19th, 2017, 17:55   #22
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Steam locomotives are still very much in use in many parts of Africa even today.

They are still in use in Cuba, Indonesia, and China was still using them (heck, they were still building them) up until just a few years ago.
Well 2 years ago I was in Europe and to me it looked like they were completely converted to electric locomotives.

A year I go I was in China and from what I saw they were also all electric.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:31   #23
dlb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig01b View Post
On a totally different vein .... if you get a Mazda, get good rustproofing. I have seen rot on their cars in the last few years, that rivals mid 1970 fords! 2009 5, never accidented, and both rear 1/4 panels rotted right thru! And that was last year. So spend a litttle money on a good undercoating if you plan to keep it.
the exact reason why I will NOT buy a Mazda - the rust issue !!!
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 23:12   #24
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

So far all 2010 Mazda's and up that I've seen on the road haven't shown a sign of rust... So I don't know if the rust issue is as prominent anymore...
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:15   #25
Tabou

From google searches, it appears the rust issue is not as bad. Wify has a 2013 Speed3 and so far no problems. To the original subject, I'm also keeping an eye at the CX-5 diesel as an option. (others are Chev Equinox Diesel, gas GSW, subbie outback). Sadly, all of these choices are a downgrade to my current GSW. I will lose some sort of a feature, most notably, the manual. *sigh*
Tabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:29   #26
Tabou

Interesting read on CX5 diesel in NA
https://seekingalpha.com/article/408...terally-diesel
Tabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:51   #27
igiveup
Veteran Member

Just saw the Jaguar F-pace has a 2.0L diesel option.

Probably gets decent fuel economy.

http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_ca/f-pace_k18
igiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 19:21   #28
atifvw
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igiveup View Post
Just saw the Jaguar F-pace has a 2.0L diesel option.
Probably gets decent fuel economy.
http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_ca/f-pace_k18

Test drove the XE R-Sport same engine as the F-Pace, very impressive but $70,000
Retired TDI's: Lots to list
atifvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 08:21   #29
Johhny04
Veteran Member

Good and interesting article.

https://www.yorkregion.com/community...re-diesel-cuv/
Johhny04 is offline   Reply With Quote