www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old June 1st, 2017, 11:34   #1
atifvw
Veteran Member

Default Mazda CX5 Diesel coming this fall

A very smart move by Mazda in my opinion, lots diesel hungry VW bitten consumers Mazda can capitalize on. A new NO SCR based diesel offering in a small SUV around $30k....I have a feeling it'll sell a lot.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/inside-mazda/auto-show-2017/
Retired TDI's: Lots to list
atifvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 18:24   #2
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

About 3-4 years ago HONDA was coming out with a Diesel.
Where did it go???
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 10:25   #3
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

I remember seeing the Mazda 6 diesel at the 2012 or 2013 autoshow... I also saw the Mercedes c300 wagon bluetec at the autoshow last year... Until these cars pop up on dealer lots it's all talk
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 19:32   #4
atifvw
Veteran Member

A friend ordered his CX-5 diesel, delivery end of August. BUT, I agree you never know they may pull the plug at the last minute. As Dodge did with my order of RAM Eco Diesel earlier this year.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 20:29   #5
KiwiCanuck

Hyundai sells diesel SUVs in other countries. Why not here?
KiwiCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 06:45   #6
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiCanuck View Post
Hyundai sells diesel SUVs in other countries. Why not here?
Go to Europe and you see more diesels than anything else.

North Americans still remember those s h i t b o x e s GM sold back in the 1970's where they converted regular engine blocks made for gasoline into diesel engines.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:35   #7
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Go to Europe and you see more diesels than anything else.

North Americans still remember those s h i t b o x e s GM sold back in the 1970's where they converted regular engine blocks made for gasoline into diesel engines.
No they don't. Those driver are seniours now and have little influence on the current market.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:36   #8
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

The Mazda 2 diesel was announced and even advertised about 10 years ago and it never made it to these shores. So I'm not beleiving anything until I see a car sold by a dealer anymore.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:05   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
That statement is a bit misleading.

First, most any consumer that is looking at cars today has no idea those Oldsmobile diesels even existed... heck, some folks may not even realize Oldsmobile existed, let alone had the single best selling model here in the country in the late '70s.

Second, while it is true to some extent that the basic design of that Olds diesel was lifted from their gasoline V8s (and they also made a V6 version, which was a chopped down V8 like many other domestic V6s), it was quite different in the key areas. Also, with the exception of the V10 TDI, every VAG diesel sold here since 1977 was also based on a design shared with their gasoline engine. You take an ALH apart down to its bare block, and it looks exactly like an AEG block. They even use the same main bearings. Another very popular diesel that was also based on a gasoline engine? Navistar's 6.9L, 7.3L, and 7.3L Powerstroke engines. Those were based on IH's old 304/345/390 gas V8s, and I am pretty sure nobody has much complaints on the durability of those diesels. Also, around that same time Mercedes-Benz was selling some really tough, reliable, durable, and frugal diesels here. These models are arguably among the best ever, near legendary, of the compression ignition road going passenger cars. So if all you remember of 1970s + diesel is GM, too bad, there were others that were very good. My 1979 Rabbit was an excellent little machine.

FWIW, EVERYONE sells diesels in other markets. And if they don't make one, they put someone else's diesel engine under the hood of their car. For political and consumer reasons, we have not had much choice of them here, and thanks to VAG's recent chicanery, likely will have fewer in the near future.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 6th, 2017 at 10:08.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 22:02   #10
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That statement is a bit misleading.

First, most any consumer that is looking at cars today has no idea those Oldsmobile diesels even existed... heck, some folks may not even realize Oldsmobile existed, let alone had the single best selling model here in the country in the late '70s.

Second, while it is true to some extent that the basic design of that Olds diesel was lifted from their gasoline V8s (and they also made a V6 version, which was a chopped down V8 like many other domestic V6s), it was quite different in the key areas. Also, with the exception of the V10 TDI, every VAG diesel sold here since 1977 was also based on a design shared with their gasoline engine. You take an ALH apart down to its bare block, and it looks exactly like an AEG block. They even use the same main bearings. Another very popular diesel that was also based on a gasoline engine? Navistar's 6.9L, 7.3L, and 7.3L Powerstroke engines. Those were based on IH's old 304/345/390 gas V8s, and I am pretty sure nobody has much complaints on the durability of those diesels. Also, around that same time Mercedes-Benz was selling some really tough, reliable, durable, and frugal diesels here. These models are arguably among the best ever, near legendary, of the compression ignition road going passenger cars. So if all you remember of 1970s + diesel is GM, too bad, there were others that were very good. My 1979 Rabbit was an excellent little machine.

FWIW, EVERYONE sells diesels in other markets. And if they don't make one, they put someone else's diesel engine under the hood of their car. For political and consumer reasons, we have not had much choice of them here, and thanks to VAG's recent chicanery, likely will have fewer in the near future.
Well, FWIW, even in Europe we might start to see a decline in diesel sells since dieselgate happened... Especially now that major western European cities are trying to limit/ban diesels from the city centers by a certain year. Here's an article I found the other day, it relates only to the UK but interesting read none the less

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/die...sel-car-sales/
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:27   #11
atifvw
Veteran Member

I read somewhere that EU has already passed a bill of completely banning internal combustion engine whether diesel or petrol/gasoline, at least for passenger cars by 2030. Self driving electric machines for mass transportation.... I hope it doesn't happen in my life time :-)
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:29   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I think internal combustion engines may be the least of Europe's problems right now, sadly.

Shame because at some point before I die I really wanted to spend some time over there.
Old June 8th, 2017, 16:17   #13
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Germany wants to ban all IC engines by 2030

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...www.google.ca/
Old June 9th, 2017, 16:16   #14
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

"Wants to" is very far from "will".

I have little doubt that EVs will have a large share of the market by 2030, but they won't be across-the-board.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 14:38   #15
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
"Wants to" is very far from "will".

I have little doubt that EVs will have a large share of the market by 2030, but they won't be across-the-board.
I agree, time will only tell what the future of IC engines will be