www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 13th, 2017, 09:41   #1
Capt. Common Rail
Veteran Member

Default New 2015 golf Tdi SE test drive

Headed out this morning to test drive a new 2015 golf Tdi. After the test drive I
Have to say I was disappointed. It felt underpowered no feeling of the torque I remember from my 2010 jettas.I've been driving my daughters 2017 Golf Tsi
since she is away at school. Maybe that's not a fair comparison the Golf Tsi is
So much faster and more fun to drive. Did the fix neuter the cars that much or
was the one I drove just not running right.Thanks for any comments
Capt. Common Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:21   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If the car has very low mileage (under 500 miles) it won't make the power it will once it starts to break in. That said, I feel the engine has a flat spot on tip-in, then it pulls well. Similar to how I recall my '12 Golf behaved. I'm looking forward to getting my '15 tuned. I'm betting it will help a lot. And in its current form I'm seeing 46+ MPG on the MFI. Bet the TSI isn't doing that.
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:32   #3
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

I find it has two personalities. If you're gentle on the gas it feels pretty sluggish. But if you give it the beans from a get go it's got some grunt.

It's definitely not a fast car though but I love the way it just wafts you along.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 20:30   #4
surfstar
Veteran Member

The TSI has enough low end torque to hold its own - you were likely used to it, and didn't see the difference you remembered. Drive a an older Civic for a while, then come back
I recently sold my 2000 Civic HX - when you floored it, the rpms went up, speed went up very slowly, and there was no feeling of acceleration. Cheap commuter, though, and pulled 40 mpg.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 21:04   #5
tonestar
Veteran Member

Difference is that TSI swill most likely show a few CELs through the first 150k, been there done that- never again... oh and the gas mileage isn't comparable for long high mileage commuters
tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 21:36   #6
surfstar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestar View Post
Difference is that TSI swill most likely show a few CELs through the first 150k, been there done that- never again... oh and the gas mileage isn't comparable for long high mileage commuters
and TDIs are known for not needing multi-thousand dollar repairs?

This is a new generation engine, both the TDI and TSI that are offered now. Don't let past, unrelated issues, cloud your current judgement. If that were the case, I would never have bought a new VW (gas or diesel) - way too many horror stories online.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:15   #7
Capt. Common Rail
Veteran Member

Maybe another test drive is warranted,I could try another dealer and keep an open mind.
It seems most owners of fixed cars don't see any performance differences .
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:00   #8
ROD-TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.7 MPG 2003, 2015 TDI 48.4 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Common Rail View Post
Maybe another test drive is warranted,I could try another dealer and keep an open mind.
It seems most owners of fixed cars don't see any performance differences .
Our opinion is yes, make another test drive!
Our 'first fix' 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed with 11k miles on it has always been strong and still is with the initial fix. Only performance problem we had were the factory shocks which we changed in the first two weeks to Bilstein HD B6 units, to greatly improve road handling performance. It's otherwise a great vehicle in our experience with VW Golf diesels for the past 20+ years. And we greatly enjoy our 2015 Colf 'R' DSG too. Both perform at levels superior to other brand configurations we've spent some significant time road testing over the years.
FWIW,
-Rod
ROD-TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:58   #9
tonestar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
and TDIs are known for not needing multi-thousand dollar repairs?
This is a new generation engine, both the TDI and TSI that are offered now. Don't let past, unrelated issues, cloud your current judgement. If that were the case, I would never have bought a new VW (gas or diesel) - way too many horror stories online.
Gasser engines in general just don't last like a diesel, just the way it is. I'm more confident in a new generation diesel than a new generation gasser- look at Hyundai for example, recalled what? 1.2 million engines up to 2014? I'm not saying it's not a good car, but I certainly wouldn't expect to get 300k out of it like my previous diesels.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:21   #10
Capt. Common Rail
Veteran Member

Tone star just wondering,did you buy your 2015 Tdi fixed,or did you have it fixed.Thought you might be able to shed some light on performance before and after fix.I would like to buy a 2015 golf SE dsg,just want to make a informed decision. Thanks
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:28   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Given that both the EA288 and 1.8T engines are fairly new, we don't really have good data to compare reliability or durability. And which "performs" better is a matter of preference. Fuel economy is another matter: I think the 1.8T would be hard pressed to match, much less exceed, TDI economy numbers in any conditions.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:29   #12
arcaidy

TDI(s): 2015 GSW

I test drove a 2017 Golf TSI manual when I was looking. Right after that I drove the GSW TDI DSG when I learned about the discounts. I bought The GSW. With the TSI I felt I was hunting for gears to often. For me the TDI was fantastic off the line and in to 3rd. It feels like it runs out of steam compared to the TSI as you keep in it. That should be expected though...
My car had 900 miles on it when purchased. It was driven much more than the other "new" 2015's I have seen. I found that to be a positive.

Other than the hesitation from start I felt the GSW was a much better driver in normal traffic. Seat of the pants told me it was quicker into 3rd gear. I suspect the TSI would pull away but look at what we're talking about... Traction control kicks in nearly every time I get it on to much.

I don't care for sport mode like some others. Feel like its keeps the RPM's to high.
arcaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:31   #13
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

I bought mine in Feb 2015 (pre-scandal) and got 1st stage fix done on it about 2 weeks after it was offered. No significant change in driving on a car with 25-27000 miles on it at the time. OTOH - the car has done better the more miles put on it in general (just like most TDI's). If you want the 2015 - get it - you won't be sorry. If I had the resources, I'd get another one.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:07   #14
tonestar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Common Rail View Post
Tone star just wondering,did you buy your 2015 Tdi fixed,or did you have it fixed.Thought you might be able to shed some light on performance before and after fix.I would like to buy a 2015 golf SE dsg,just want to make a informed decision. Thanks
My fiancé has her 2015 still unfixed, I drive both during the week. I actually find that the fixed version has a bit more "pep" off the line, but that's just me. In my opinion, if you have a chance to get your hands on a "new" 2015 for the 5k off and 0% financing I would jump on it at this point. Considering most manufacturers are moving away from Diesel engines, and you get basically a 150,000 unmatched anywhere warranty- go sign that paperwork and drive happy. Btw, the car only gets better after the break in period- take if for a spin on the highway as well, that's where she really shines over the gasser.
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:09   #15
tonestar
Veteran Member

And like scooper just said, If I had the resources to buy another one-you better damn believe there would be a 4th TDI in my driveway right now. I searched ALL brands for something similar and couldn't find anything even close to these cars in this price range.

Also, a point that hasn't been discussed is the resale value down the road. That gasser will continue to depreciate rapidly, the TDI not so much as we've seen with these cars over the years- I don't expect it to be different- I actually expect these 2015's to hold value better than any other model before it, simply because it's a one year only model.

GO SIGN AND DRIVE