Who has a Water Pump go bad?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think water pump failure has less to do with the engine code or brand of pump and more to do with whether or not the car has been allowed to sit. I've seen water pumps leak and/or seize on TDIs that have sat for extended periods. That certainly applies to buyback cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Daughter's 2015 Passat had the pump go out. It was squeaking/making noise. VW covered most of it using goodwill.
By any chance did the noise go away if the AC is on or off?

We've had an audible chirp that comes and goes at about every .5-1 second but it completely goes away when the AC is turned off. I'd much rather point to the serp tensioner vs timing belt. Our Passat is at 80K.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes it had an audible chirp to it. My daughter noticed it and asked me to look at it. Didn't check with ac on and off as it didn't sound like it was coming from there.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Did not have a failure, but just did the CRUA timing belt change and the original water pump bearing was pretty clunky feeling so probably was on its last legs! Just a data point for an original water pump at 187000km. Also no issue with the shroud and still movable after removal no problem. New pump is shroudless, for piece of mind.

gomesan

TDI
01 jetta alh and 14 passat tdi
2014 passat tdi:
My water pump also just failed at 60,000 miles. :/ The heater core was replaced about 10,000 miles ago which was nearly a year. I think the blocked heater core particles probably wore out the water pump seals but honestly I don't know much about engines so take w grain of salt.

It was a Certified Pre Owned but unfortunately 5 months out of warranty.
I barely drove the thing the past 2 years so sucks I didn't get more miles on it for that to happen sooner.

Local dealership quoted:
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt: $1,685
CV boot torn: $582

Local shop:
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt: $1,250
Cv Boot: $250

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you're replacing the water pump I'd replace the whole timing belt system, including tensioner and rollers. Labor should be the same, parts aren't that expensive.

And I'm betting the difference between the cv boot repair quotes is that the dealer is putting in an OE axle, the local shop is using an inexpensive (probably Chinese) axle. Neither are R&R'ing the boot. People don't do that, even though they could.