www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old July 28th, 2017, 12:21   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have seen a few 2015 TDI water pumps leaking. They were all still under warranty. New design, cannot say I am shocked by that. Too bad we won't ever be able to see the latest generation of engines' improvements. It is like we are stuck with the 1999.5 ALH as the last hoorah.

But maybe the water pumps will improve anyway. I always check for TSBs, still nothing yet for them.
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:53   #17
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
the 2015 model year is the first for a new engine.

the main coolant pump, driven by the timing belt, is controlled by the ECU to turn on or off. fairly complicated for a water pump. also has a couple electric coolant pumps

benefit is faster warm up and more mpg,

drawback may be some early failures as they polish the design.

http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

has quite a bit of good reading on your engine,

coolant discussion starts on page 18
OK, so warming up yer TDI in Winter will be quicker. I suppose this is a good thing. I will keep an eye on it for leaks.

But the new twin counterbalance assembly? Now that to me is excessive. The info in that brochure claims to reduce stress on the bearings. Well thank god Those main bearings only last a half million miles or so. I feel sooo much better knowing that I have two new unserviceable ("cannot be replaced in the field") heavy spinning parts to protect 'em.

Modern. ppthht! Some things should be left unfixed.

Last edited by dubStrom; July 28th, 2017 at 13:23.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 14:33   #18
oilhammer

They have a variable displacement oil pump, too. Some VAG gas engines have had that for a while now. Almost a decade, actually.
Old July 19th, 2018, 18:00   #19
Midash2k

Just had my water pump replaced due to leaking at 55K. Covered under CPO warranty.
Midash2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 18:06   #20
nomadic

What are the symptoms? I'm seeing a good amount of water under the car when running the A/C. More than normal I think. Coolant level looks good though.
nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2018, 04:40   #21
oilhammer

Condensate from the A/C has nothing to do with a leaking water pump. High humidity causes that.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:20   #22
Midash2k

Mine started leaking at 3 years, 50k miles. was replaced for free under a CPO warranty
Midash2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 08:34   #23
superduty_59

Just bought a 2015 Passat SE TDI 6sp Manual 44K. The coolant in the tank keeps disappearing. Haven't looked really hard for a leak yet. I will do an oil change this week and will hopefully know more but I would suspect a leaking water pump from all the reading I've done. This car is a 1 owner buyback. Would this be covered under the 5year/60k powertrain warranty?
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 17:14   #24
pmoulton5018
Veteran Member

Mine got a crack in it at 12k miles
Old November 11th, 2018, 04:29   #25
Ted Hurst
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW
Fuel Economy: 45

My 2015 GSW developed a leak around 20k. Didn't use a drop for the first 18 months of ownership but now I've had to top it off a couple of times. When I did my 20K service I could see dripping from around the crank pulley side. I was wondering what all the liquid was that absorbed into the sound deadening material that they incorporated over the oil pan. I thought it was leaking oil but now it all makes sense. I've got an appointment scheduled at the Dealership I bought it from and will report back on their findings.
'06 Black Jetta DSG Special Edition, 138k Mi, Frost Heater, RC1+,HEX-CAN USB - Traded
Ted Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 05:30   #26
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hurst View Post
I was wondering what all the liquid was that absorbed into the sound deadening material that they incorporated over the oil pan. I thought it was leaking oil but now it all makes sense.
Its normal for that foam to absorb a significant amount of oil that migrates from the pan drain hole during an oil change (unless the sound-dampening shroud is removed beforehand, a drain valve is used, or the oil is extracted). Not saying it couldn't also be coolant...
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by RIP TDI; November 11th, 2018 at 05:53.
RIP TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 14:22   #27
Ted Hurst
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW
Fuel Economy: 45

Update: Dealership diagnosed a leaking water pump. When they went to install they noticed that the timing belt was starting to shred possibly due to pulley issue. Replaced timing belt and a faulty roller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hurst View Post
My 2015 GSW developed a leak around 20k. Didn't use a drop for the first 18 months of ownership but now I've had to top it off a couple of times. When I did my 20K service I could see dripping from around the crank pulley side. I was wondering what all the liquid was that absorbed into the sound deadening material that they incorporated over the oil pan. I thought it was leaking oil but now it all makes sense. I've got an appointment scheduled at the Dealership I bought it from and will report back on their findings.
'06 Black Jetta DSG Special Edition, 138k Mi, Frost Heater, RC1+,HEX-CAN USB - Traded
Ted Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 16:31   #28
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

The pump runs off the timing belt as noted above, but it has a sleeve that extends and retracts electrically to vary the pump flow to help manage engine temperature (read: emissions). The electric sleeve has proven problematic. Aftermarket makers (Saleri and Geba) have eliminated the sleeve, although they still provide a connector so you can plug in the control wire (placebo). Rumor is that VW will discontinue the variable mechanism on replacement pumps as well. Mercedes has a similar pump in some diesels, with similar problems and the aftermarket also eliminating the variable feature.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 19:01   #29
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
The pump runs off the timing belt as noted above, but it has a sleeve that extends and retracts electrically to vary the pump flow to help manage engine temperature (read: emissions). The electric sleeve has proven problematic. Aftermarket makers (Saleri and Geba) have eliminated the sleeve, although they still provide a connector so you can plug in the control wire (placebo). Rumor is that VW will discontinue the variable mechanism on replacement pumps as well. Mercedes has a similar pump in some diesels, with similar problems and the aftermarket also eliminating the variable feature.
So on the geba pump you sell when we swap over the solenoid its just for placebo effect?
Old December 3rd, 2018, 03:23   #30
oilhammer

The ECU needs to see something connected, but that something no longer does anything.

The VR6 variable displacement water pumps use vacuum, but the vacuum is controlled via a solenoid in much the same fashion, although I have never seen one of those replacement pumps yet that does away with the vacuum servo inside the pump.