Timing belt stripped, need advice

Wannaspeed

TDI
05.5 jetta tdi
So a couple months ago my wife was driving the car. She said it just stopped going and was still idling. She turned the car off to let it sit thinking maybe if she gave it some time it will work. She couldn't get it restarted, so I towed her back. I tried to crank it and it acted like it wanted to start, but then it just froze and wouldn't crank anymore.

We had the DMF rattle so my initial thought was maybe the flywheel was trash, maybe lodged in there funny or something. This week I got around to working on it. I separated the transmission and inspected the flywheel. I knew right away that the issue wasn't the flywheel, although it needs to be replaced its structurally intact. So I pulled the timing cover and sure enough several of the TB teeth are completely stripped.

I have no idea if any of the valves contacted the piston while it was idling, But i imagine the reason it would no longer crank is valve contact. At this point I'm wondering the best course of action in inspecting the possible damage.

Should I pull the valve cover and inspect the lifters? Pull the head and inspect the valves and pistons? Advice? thanks. Engine has 190k

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I'm afraid your head has been trashed. Valve contact is guaranteed. Franko6 one on the forum members on here is generally regarded as one of the best options. Pull the head send it to him he sends it back completely refurbished with everything you need to reinstall.

Other options would be a local rebuild, used head, or there are also some DIY options from metalmanparts and idparts.

You will need to check piston protrusion just to be sure you didn't bend a rod.

Most likely one of the rollers, water pump or the tensioner seized and stripped the belt.

Don't be discouraged it happens. This is a great learning opportunity, welcome to the forum.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Post #2 pretty much explains it. If you have cogs stripped off of your timing belt (jumped timing), your head is most likely trashed.

najman

TDI
MK4
Sorry to bring up an old thread. This just happened to me on the freeway @80 and I'm looking for some advise. After towing it home I found about 3 inches of stripped timing belt...I'm all in for replacing the head. The car has 350k miles on it. Wondering if it's worth replacing the head...or find an entire used motor...
I have a few mods too.

najman

TDI
MK4
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been elbow deep in decisions and repairs for this one AND trying to fix another car...another story.

I have an 05 PD BEW Golf. Had a stage 2 cam, 3" exhaust, Kerma SMIC, and a Kerma Tune.

I opened up the valve cover and discovered 3 nitride lifters had literally exploded gouging the camshaft and leaving chunks everywhere.

Well, I opted for the expensive but long term option. I got an an engine from Quality German in California. I got an ASZ wtih 60k on it. I got a Kerma vnt 17 Doka. Am gonna get a new stage 2 or 3 camshaft from Kerma and a FMIC from Darkside. I've about got the BEW out, I only get a few hours a day to work on this.

The timing belt setup on the ASZ is WAAAY different than the BEW. It has a hydraulic tensioner setup, like in the 1.8T. I was able to find the old setup from Darkside. I was also able to find, on a VW Audi forum, the instructions how to set the tensioner. It looks bad.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-170883.html

On another thread I was able to find someone who claimed they 'converted' the timing tensioner from hydraulic to manual.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4864439-pic-request-manual-tensioner-conversion-kit-from-a-16v

The issue with the second link is its from a 16v 1.8t but someone mentioned doing the same on a PD.