www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old July 3rd, 2016, 14:21   #1
Wannaspeed

Default Timing belt stripped, need advice

So a couple months ago my wife was driving the car. She said it just stopped going and was still idling. She turned the car off to let it sit thinking maybe if she gave it some time it will work. She couldn't get it restarted, so I towed her back. I tried to crank it and it acted like it wanted to start, but then it just froze and wouldn't crank anymore.

We had the DMF rattle so my initial thought was maybe the flywheel was trash, maybe lodged in there funny or something. This week I got around to working on it. I separated the transmission and inspected the flywheel. I knew right away that the issue wasn't the flywheel, although it needs to be replaced its structurally intact. So I pulled the timing cover and sure enough several of the TB teeth are completely stripped.

I have no idea if any of the valves contacted the piston while it was idling, But i imagine the reason it would no longer crank is valve contact. At this point I'm wondering the best course of action in inspecting the possible damage.

Should I pull the valve cover and inspect the lifters? Pull the head and inspect the valves and pistons? Advice? thanks. Engine has 190k
Wannaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:21   #2
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I'm afraid your head has been trashed. Valve contact is guaranteed. Franko6 one on the forum members on here is generally regarded as one of the best options. Pull the head send it to him he sends it back completely refurbished with everything you need to reinstall.

Other options would be a local rebuild, used head, or there are also some DIY options from metalmanparts and idparts.

You will need to check piston protrusion just to be sure you didn't bend a rod.

Most likely one of the rollers, water pump or the tensioner seized and stripped the belt.

Don't be discouraged it happens. This is a great learning opportunity, welcome to the forum.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 13:48   #3
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Post #2 pretty much explains it. If you have cogs stripped off of your timing belt (jumped timing), your head is most likely trashed.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 14:37   #4
najman

TDI(s): MK4
Fuel Economy: ~38

Sorry to bring up an old thread. This just happened to me on the freeway @80 and I'm looking for some advise. After towing it home I found about 3 inches of stripped timing belt...I'm all in for replacing the head. The car has 350k miles on it. Wondering if it's worth replacing the head...or find an entire used motor...
I have a few mods too.
najman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 17:34   #5
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Here’s my ordeal.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509

What year and engine does your car have?

Putting on a new head or finding a used engine depends on what your willing to do and spend.

Let us know what you decide.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote