www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 5th, 2015, 22:10   #61
Sunnyb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW

I'm hoping I don't have to take it in for service under the warranty. Heck I'm leery about the first oil change on them, they will probably reflash if its out. I only have 5k on it now.
Sunnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:39   #62
SpecialTest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyb View Post
I'm hoping I don't have to take it in for service under the warranty. Heck I'm leery about the first oil change on them, they will probably reflash if its out. I only have 5k on it now.
Funny you say that, I was too, and I just picked my car up from the dealer for the 10k service, plus an AC issue.

Now I know it's not fair to VW, but the gas mileage on my daily commute was lower this morning. I'm normally around 49~52mpg via the center console for the "since start" mpg, but this morning I only got to 46 mpg. It's not entirely unusual, but it's got me thinking "Did they flash it already!?!"

I'll have to report back once I get a lot more miles on the car after this service, but it's most likely just me seeing something that doesn't exist.
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:59   #63
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialTest View Post
Funny you say that, I was too, and I just picked my car up from the dealer for the 10k service, plus an AC issue.
Now I know it's not fair to VW, but the gas mileage on my daily commute was lower this morning. I'm normally around 49~52mpg via the center console for the "since start" mpg, but this morning I only got to 46 mpg. It's not entirely unusual, but it's got me thinking "Did they flash it already!?!"
I'll have to report back once I get a lot more miles on the car after this service, but it's most likely just me seeing something that doesn't exist.
First of all, the MFI can be off by 5 to 10% at times. Second, when the temp drops, you run your AC or run the seat heaters, I've found the mpgs to drop noticeably. There are so many factors that play into it. 49 to 52 mpgs is performance under ideal conditions.

One other note. My MFI had a really high average since start and per refuel since I purchased. Then I had a sub woofer installed where they disconnected the battery and the MFI kind of rebooted. Now my MFI readings are closer to hand calc'd (lower). I'm not sure the software to flash is available yet. I've been in close communication with my VW service manager, and they don't have anything yet.
sapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:14   #64
skramer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialTest View Post
Didn't we already have a software update that was available for the ea288? I remember thinking on my 10k service the car would get a software update. This is all before the latest/possible ECU update or w/e route they go for the ea288.

Last edited by skramer; October 6th, 2015 at 09:33.
skramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 13:58   #65
andyrooski17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skramer View Post
Didn't we already have a software update that was available for the ea288? I remember thinking on my 10k service the car would get a software update. This is all before the latest/possible ECU update or w/e route they go for the ea288.
I just had 20k service, and there was the RVU 2309 ECM flash (available since May 2015, I think). Not a lot has been said about it, but what I've found on the forums speculate it has something to do with ash loading. FWIW, my service manager said it had something to do with a CEL that was coming on for certain cars.

I was assured it had nothing to do with this recent emissions business, and so far i've seen no hit in FE, except for the hit because it's been cold.
Old October 6th, 2015, 14:47   #66
J.R.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagolf View Post
VW is going to officially announce what the fixes are for each model/MY on Wednesday - the deadline given by Germany.
Almost everything you read is speculative until then...although I'm hopeful the 15/16's are unaffected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Remember...those fixes will be for EURO CARS....different emissions standards than the US/CANADA....So I caution you we might be able to infer the US fix, but with more stringent requirements, it may not mirrior the German fix...
I also hope the new motor will be unaffected, except for a programming change to ensure no "banned" or illegal software.....
Yeah, I assume the Euro fixes will give us a better idea but aren't necessarily going to translate EXACTLY to N.A.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:10   #67
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Yeah, I assume the Euro fixes will give us a better idea but aren't necessarily going to translate EXACTLY to N.A.
Very true. I've been doing research on SCR in general, and I believe the EA288 will have a much better chance at minimizing impact based on the application of SCR and the VW design with the EA288 (exhaust recirc, etc). It's just that I/we don't know what it takes to meet CARB's standards. The delay for us is probably to see what the performance impacts are to the EA288. They may try a pass with just the defeat device removed and then have to refine software code. This would be my guess as to why the absolute silence from them. They probably test, and then have to tweak and then test and then have to tweak and get the EPA to buy in.

Then the question is if the EA189 can be brought into compliance with CARB standards and what the impacts are to 1) performance, and 2) emissions hardware durability. Remember that the Passat has SCR but with the EA189. For example, I had a 189 in my JSW, and that sucker regen'd a lot, and I don't do much stop and go. My 288 now regens very rarely. If the emissions goes to "always on", what does that do to everything? VW is in a really bad spot with the US market, because it may take quite some time to develop a technical solution for the 189 engine. If the refit and emissions warranty risks are high enough, VW may just decide to buy the affected cars back and sell elsewhere or negotiate fines with the EPA and get a pass on the emissions since they're not selling those engines new in the US any more. Then they'd just settle with owners on some form of compensation.

I think a lot will depend on how clean the EA288 actually is vs. US standards. If clean, then why not release the 2016s and 2015s and have VW just pay a huge fine and make good with EA189 owners? Then the question is if VW can keep up with more stringent NOx standards coming in a couple years or just exits diesel in the US and brings over more of their Blue Motion gas technology.
Old October 7th, 2015, 13:34   #68
LongEz

TDI(s): None yet

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswag...les-1444243809

This link is from the "monster thread", but it is probably worth including here.

I am especially concerned because I have a deposit and VIN on one of the first 2016s due in the US, and it's been in Houtson for a long time (and will be for longer so it seems).

I can't imagine the Gulf air is good on a vehicle that is just sitting for months on end. Any thoughts or comments? I had hoped the urea + a simple ecu tweak would get the job done. Now I fear it may never happen.

Cheers?

LongEz

Last edited by LongEz; October 7th, 2015 at 14:07.
LongEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 14:13   #69
Caseyb476
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongEz View Post

This link is from the "monster thread", but it is probably worth including here.

I am especially concerned because I have a deposit and VIN on one of the first 2016s due in the US, and it's been in Houtson for a long time (and will be for longer so it seems).

I can't imagine the Gulf air is good on a vehicle that is just sitting for months on end. Any thoughts or comments? I had hoped the urea + a simple ecu tweak would get the job done. Now I fear it may never happen.

Cheers?

LongEz
Get your deposit back. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but it may be a while, and that's not your job to give a free loan to the dealer.
Caseyb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 15:23   #70
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:

Cheers?

LongEz
To us it's probably simple, but they need to re-write the software and get buy in first. Probably will take a few months.
Old October 7th, 2015, 15:25   #71
pandagolf

Quote:
Cheers?
LongEz
I'm in the exact same boat - have a deposit on a 2016 GSW TDI SEL (since June). This news pretty much seals the deal for me, unfortunately. I can't wait much longer for my car to arrive...
It's either GTI or V60 for me...
pandagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 15:41   #72
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm in the exact same boat - have a deposit on a 2016 GSW TDI SEL (since June). This news pretty much seals the deal for me, unfortunately. I can't wait much longer for my car to arrive...
Both seem like good choices.
Old October 7th, 2015, 17:52   #73
avvblanc01

Whoa have you guys seen this?? another article that the 2016s are no more...

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-withd...fic-1735306230
Old October 7th, 2015, 20:12   #74
Cutandthrust

Quote:

I really really like the V60 (wish they had a diesel option) and think that its a fantastic choice. But I fear worse than this VW scandal, that Volvo will exit the US unexpectedly at some point ala SAAB, in lieu of stagnant sales. Think our TDI re-sale blows now. Imagine owning a couple year old V60 from a defunct company.

I actually like the V60 looks the best, but the space/ interior isn't as practical as the GSW, due to the sloping rear roof and back glass.
Cutandthrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 03:02   #75
panda
Veteran Member

The 2016's not coming to the US doesn't seem to bode well for the EA288 surviving with only a minor software tweak. When I bought my ALH in '02 those cars had already been on the market for a few years and there was a sizable amount of mechanical knowledge available on this forum. I worry that the EA288 will be an orphan design will little "user" knowledge available. The situation may become a lot like the '05 Jeep CRD sitting in my driveway. Dealer service is a last resort for the CRD and a constant fear. The parts are expensive parts if even available. The good news is it's a diesel and if taken care of will likely go the distance. I hope the same is true of the EA288. More patience is called for I guess.