www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old August 6th, 2014, 14:41   #31
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbLog View Post
I've been vag free for a while. Interested to see how the sport edition will hold up in the Michigan winters
LOL, VAG-free here too and into BMW diesels!

We'll see how my 535d Xdrive and X5 Xdrive35d hold up over the long haul.

I am working on learning the car's electronics, like learning about VWs using VCDS (VAG-COM). The software and OBD2 cable I have for the BMWs is from Bavarian Technic, basically the BMW equivalent of VCDS and design specifically for BMWs. There are a few other software packages out there that will work with BMWs and allow you to get to the BMW-specific stuff.

Supposedly the latest BMWs use Ethernet instead of CAN to communicate between modules and connecting to the car's "network" is real easy. You can easily build your own Ethernet to OBD2 cable to connect a PC to the network. The car has a pseudo Ethernet router and you connect to it through a few of the unused pins in the OBD2 connector. Basically you can take a standard CAT5 Ethernet patch cable and cut one end off and replace it with an OBD2 connector with connections made to the appropriate pins. You don't have to buy a proprietary interface cable. The other end with the RJ45 connector still on it plugs into the Ethernet port on your PC. The router in the car will automatically assign an IP address to the PC just like plugging the PC into any other Ethernet router to get on a network. The rest is in software.
BMW coding and programming info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

I was recently using the Bavarian Technic software and cable to look at some live data, just like I've done in TDIs w/VCDS. I was just exploring out of curiosity to see what live data I can read with the software. One neat thing I found is the engine ECU (aka DDE in BMW terminology) is able to monitor the turbo's actual RPM, among other things. The turbo actually has an RPM pickup sensor on it, probably a Hall Effect device and like the crank sensor on TDIs. With my 535d idling it was kinda cool to measure the turbo's RPM and find it spinning at 14,000 RPM. When I gun the engine a few times I can watch it spool up to well above 50,000 RPM. When operating fully on boost I would expect it to be well above 100,000 RPM like in our TDIs.
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; August 6th, 2014 at 14:51.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 16:40   #32
cvalentine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
Supposedly the latest BMWs use Ethernet instead of CAN to communicate between modules and connecting to the car's "network" is real easy. You can easily build your own Ethernet to OBD2 cable to connect a PC to the network.
Yep, I used this guide to get me started http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696777

Cables on ebay are running around $20, so I didn't bother spending the time to build a cable though.
cvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:19   #33
DnA Diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): no more...

Not one to be overly brand-loyal (well, except that it must be a German diesel-powered vehicle ) the addition of a 2014 GLK250BT to the all-diesel fleet (2001 ALH Jetta 270,000km, 2009 335d 160,000km) makes for tripartite club ownership in TCIClub, SSMBO and SSBMWO.

2001 Jetta, still trucking along on its first clutch - son has it now and still enjoying 1200km+ per tank. The 335D pushing over 100,000mi and running strong (no carbon build up issues). Very impressed with the BlueTec GLK. Fuel consumption about halfway between the fuel-sipping TDI and the 335d, and very sure-footed in all weather conditions.

Not sure what the future has for the 335d down the road....I love the car, always puts a smile on my face and has been a solid car for the last five years - still the power and performance of the car is without compare for the form factor of a diesel vehicle (in North America). Not sure if in the next few years I'll stay with a sedan or look at another SUV. We looked at a Q5 TDI while shopping, but my wife was happiest with the GLK at the time, so that was it. I don't mind something a bit bigger, so Q5 or X5 perhaps (test drove an ML while looking at the GLK and really wasn't a fan of it.) Time will tell, I suppose.

Notwithstanding the 'formation' of the SSBMWO, I am continually grateful to Fred and the TCIClub for arguably leading the virtual (and thereafter real) community of diesel heads in North America. Great reference that still to this day proves its worth day in and day out.

Regards
D.
DnA Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:05   #34
Seppoboy

Fuel Economy: 44.2 mpg measured 55,000 miles to date on the BMW

Just an update on my 2014 BMW 328xd at the 7,500 mile mark: 45.4 mpg cumulative, from my refueling log of odometer reading and gallons/dollars. The highest individual tank after miles traveled in the low 600s was 47.4.

I reset the trip computer display at each fill-up and compare the onboard reading with the actual mpg calculated at the fill-up, the onboard reading is usually 1.0 to 1.3 mpg higher than the actual hand calculation.

Really pleased with the mileage, but I miss the VW and Audi control interfaces, and especially the manual transmission, BMW only offers the ZF 8-speed auto with their 2.0L diesel. Using Eco Pro driving mode really helps with fuel consumption, and Sport mode really degrades it. Too bad, Sport mode firms up the suspension and eliminates some unwanted second-order motions the underdamped shocks provide in the Comfort and Eco Pro modes. At least VW could provide a single suspension setting that was a good compromise.
Seppoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:09   #35
DieselRacer
banned

Fuel Economy: 30.6 combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalentine View Post
Thanks! Finished the first mod this weekend.

Rear fog light. Some modification to the existing light switch and some programming was all it took. Sorry for the daytime shot, but it's summer at 10 PM.
2 bad they did not carry over the dual exhaust set up like the 335d, i hate when they do that and give the little exhaust on one side...
DieselRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:55   #36
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Cool

BUMP!

37k miles on my 2014 535d Xdrive sedan and loving it!

72k miles on my 2012 X5 Xdrive35d SAV and loving it too! The X5 was bought used (CPO deal) with 52k on the odometer.
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:07   #37
euro2fast4u

TDI(s): '14 JSW Tdi

Turbod e30 m20 here

tdi is of my daily commute. E30 is for ripping up the streets.
euro2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 19:31   #38
cvalentine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37
Default New winter wheels

I got Nokian Hakkapellita 8 runflat studded tires mounted on used 17 inch OEM wheels on this weekend, now we're ready for winter.

Heads up for anyone getting new wheels on their 328d, the TPMS listed in BMW's parts catalog for my VIN was wrong, they changed to VDO from Huf sensors on 3/1/14 and later. Had to get them mounted twice to swap out the sensors. Pictures to ID the different models here http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthre...the-difference

Last edited by cvalentine; November 3rd, 2014 at 20:01.
cvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 19:52   #39
jfbsaratoga
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 46.7 @ 85 mph

2003 M3 88k miles. 2nd car. 4:10 gears. That's all.
jfbsaratoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 19:59   #40
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThreeTdi View Post
1998 318ti w/ 135k under a cover as a third car.
Also have a '98 318ti as a daily driver. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Not kidding; requires almost nothing and gets 32 mpg.

Edit: It's averaging $78 a month in operating expenses (excluding fuel).

Last edited by nicklockard; January 5th, 2015 at 09:57.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:18   #41
Hill

I've got a 328d wagon coming. It's on a boat right now off the coast of Mexico per last report. Jet black over black.

BMW comes with the first AWD diesel CAR (not SUV), and when I heard of it I knew my waiting for VW's TDI AWD sportwagon was over. I thought that the new AWD Golf TDI at the NY show last February (was it?) might mean we'd get the car for 2015 but it looks like it's not happening.

I feel like I'm sticking my neck out - I had a really lousy 1999 E39 beemer that was such a PITA that I dumped it after a year and haven't trusted the maker since. So I'm mustering my optimism and watching folks like cValentine above loving their cars, hoping this won't be another bummer (I used to call the other one "bummer" ).
Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 16:38   #42
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
BUMP!
37k miles on my 2014 535d Xdrive sedan and loving it!
72k miles on my 2012 X5 Xdrive35d SAV and loving it too! The X5 was bought used (CPO deal) with 52k on the odometer.
I recently had the 40k mile service done on the 535d and also got 4 new tires and one new rim. The right front wheel took a nasty pothole hit in February which damaged the tire (bulged sidewall) and also slightly bent the rim. I got the tire replaced only to have another pothole incident with same wheel about a week or so later that put a small bulge in the replacement tire. Anyhow, the rim got bent during the first pothole incident. The bend was on the inside edge and so small that it was not visible to the naked eye but showed up when trying to balance the wheel. It wouldn't quite balance and I've had a very small vibration from it. The plan was to get a new rim when it's time to get 4 new tires. I also had an alignment done after getting new tires and a rim. The alignment was found to be skewed from the pothole incidents and was brought back into spec.

While the work was being done at my BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH), I had a 2015 328i Xdrive gasser as a loaner car for the day. I found I hated it and I drove my X5 to work that day. The 328i had plenty of power and I wasn't complaining about it being a gasser. The issue was that I couldn't fit into it very well. I explored the range of seat adjustments and just could NOT get comfortable in it. My legs were also hitting the door pocket and center console. I just don't fit in it well. The experience overall soured my impressions of the 3-series and I probably won't ever own a 3-series BMW. It just doesn't work for ME. When I later got back into the 535d, it was a night and day difference. I fit into it nicely.....Ahhhhh, what a relief! It has just the little bit of extra roominess that I need and I'm comfortable in it. I have the Nappa leather multi-contour seats in the 535d.

I love my BMW diesels but I don't think there will ever be a 3-series in my stable.

Last edited by n1das; December 8th, 2014 at 16:47.
Old December 20th, 2014, 07:39   #43
cglasel

I finally picked up my 328d!
I drove it for 2 weeks in Europe in October on a European Delivery. Man, it was a long wait until redilivery!

I've got about 2000 miles on it and have enjoyed it quite a bit. In a bit of good timing my Gold TDi sold on Saturday, picked up the 328 on Monday....
2003 Dodge 3500 QC LB 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
cglasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:03   #44
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

very nice, cglasel!! enjoy it and please keep us posted on your experience. Thanks.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:25   #45
Dean_S
Veteran Member

Default 535d X-drive ordered a few days ago

Got the fever, its going to be a long wait.

Went for 18" wheels for smoothness and pot-hole resistance. Most of the toys selected. Now one of our SAAB 9-5 Aero wagons will need a new home.

Considering a spare tire in the trunk for some road trips.

Was strongly influenced by reviews of 535d vs Audi A5.