TDIFest 2014 coming to St Louis, Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The Announcement post should be made into one of those forum announcements that is on the top of each page... I saw it the one time in my new threads listing but since it is locked for comments, it hasnt turned back up. its too easy to miss that way.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I don't get it. On this forum we have people involved in all sorts of industries and folks that live in STL that could volunteer to make TDI Fest a go yet it is just canceled for some undisclosed reason?

They said they had to cancel because the forum couldn't afford to lose any money if it cratered? Lets start a collection then!

People help people here everyday with VW problems ..I mean they rebuilt a guys engine at the last fest! Why doesn't TDIclub ask for our help to get TDIfest off he ground?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I don't get it. On this forum we have people involved in all sorts of industries and folks that live in STL that could volunteer to make TDI Fest a go yet it is just canceled for some undisclosed reason?

They said they had to cancel because the forum couldn't afford to lose any money if it cratered? Lets start a collection then!

People help people here everyday with VW problems ..I mean they rebuilt a guys engine at the last fest! Why doesn't TDIclub ask for our help to get TDIfest off he ground?
Please read Fred's post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416291

There are evidently some details regarding Missouri law that are causing the issues...:(

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Now maybe Denver, CO or Victoria/Vancouver, B.C. will have a chance?

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Well, this is a bummer, but my wife was concerned anyway with it being over Labor Day and the kids having to be in school on Tuesday.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Illinois is two miles east. Did they look into moving it across the river?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Now maybe Denver, CO or Victoria/Vancouver, B.C. will have a chance?
Yep, here's your chance.

I'm also disappointed that the big TDI Fest won't be held in St. Louis this year.

HOWEVER... Since I've already scheduled a bunch of time off from work around that weekend, I've begun investigating setting up a much smaller, local (or regional, depending on how out of control it gets) event for that weekend.

There isn't much time between now and the traditional Labo(u)r Day so it won't be anything big. It'll hopefully be enough that I can avoid the withdrawal symptoms of no Fest, pull something together to financially help Fred's, and do something I had wanted to do for the Boston TDI Fest, but wasn't able to at that time.

There's absolutely no reason that you, or anyone else, couldn't also set up a smaller, manageable mid-sized get-together in your own area. Whether to raise funds for the continued operation of Fred's, or as a trial /practice run for bidding on a future full-blown TDI Fest.

There are a LOT of Fred's members that can't make the week-long trip for a mid-continent fest, but could make a few hour day trip to a local event. There are also a LOT of members (maybe just me) that need to do something TDI that weekend.

So pull together a GTG in Reno, or Denver, or Erie, Chilliwack, Tuscaloosa, Minot, or where ever. Here's your chance.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Hey guys, sad news, eh? :(

I wish to help shed some perspective on our situation here.

I believe this club is essentially a concoction of some passionate amatuers. It is not a professional business in itself, and its astounding size and caliber is only a testament to it's members. Wonderfully, it has reached further than imagined at it's inception but at the same time this leads into more responsibility in an ever-complicating world. So the way to look at this is as a properly pragmatic vetting of dealing with these issues for the future strength and integrity of the club. But these "legal and regulatory" matters are SO complicated and bureaucratical, they simply cannot be be sorted out before September, at BEST. And we certainly can't make plans or promises until everything is official. What matters is these guys are dedicated to going through these ordeals to keep us kosher with all authorites.

So while we're bummed out for a whole year, we'll come out better and stronger for it. This is just a big fat delay. A Fest vacation for fest makers! :rolleyes: But I'm thinking STL 2015 for sure. With a LOT more time for me to plan and all the groundwork laid here already, I expect to push hard in a refreshed proposal as soon as the legal green light is on. Heck, I might even be able to get my original venue now.

So let's chin up and stay positive, I already thought circumstancially that this location at this time could brew a strong showing, but maybe that effect will increase with everyone jonesin' for an extra year!

Finally, it's not all Missouri's fault, it's just the other shoe dropping. ;)

All right back to work for me..... :p

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

It might help others thinking of planning such an event to say exactly what changed the last week of May to kill it.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
It might help others thinking of planning such an event to say exactly what changed the last week of May to kill it.
Post 75 sums it up pretty well for the most part.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Post 75 sums it up pretty well for the most part.
Ah, it was that post that I quoted; primarily because it DOESN'T say what happened. There have been allusions to Missouri's tax code but here he implies that it was not a fault of Missouri. So what was it? Was it something that might trip up other, non-Missouri locations? If so, there is a chance of the situation being repeated down the line due to this. Inquiring minds want to know.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hey guys, sad news, eh? :(

I wish to help shed some perspective on our situation here.

I believe this club is essentially a concoction of some passionate amatuers. It is not a professional business in itself, and its astounding size and caliber is only a testament to it's members. Wonderfully, it has reached further than imagined at it's inception but at the same time this leads into more responsibility in an ever-complicating world. So the way to look at this is as a properly pragmatic vetting of dealing with these issues for the future strength and integrity of the club. But these "legal and regulatory" matters are SO complicated and bureaucratical, they simply cannot be be sorted out before September, at BEST. And we certainly can't make plans or promises until everything is official. What matters is these guys are dedicated to going through these ordeals to keep us kosher with all authorites.

So while we're bummed out for a whole year, we'll come out better and stronger for it. This is just a big fat delay. A Fest vacation for fest makers! :rolleyes: But I'm thinking STL 2015 for sure. With a LOT more time for me to plan and all the groundwork laid here already, I expect to push hard in a refreshed proposal as soon as the legal green light is on. Heck, I might even be able to get my original venue now.

So let's chin up and stay positive, I already thought circumstancially that this location at this time could brew a strong showing, but maybe that effect will increase with everyone jonesin' for an extra year!

I'm very very very very disappointed:(. This is a big deal in more ways than many people know about. I will leave it there.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Ah, it was that post that I quoted; primarily because it DOESN'T say what happened. There have been allusions to Missouri's tax code but here he implies that it was not a fault of Missouri. So what was it? Was it something that might trip up other, non-Missouri locations? If so, there is a chance of the situation being repeated down the line due to this. Inquiring minds want to know.
Not trying to be combative, so please don't take it that way. Fred has made a sticky with the details he's willing to share here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416291

The issue(s) are being addressed and will be resolved in due time.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Fred's post has all of the details that we feel comfortable sharing right now. Rest assured, nothing catastrophic has happened. :)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Fred's post has all of the details that we feel comfortable sharing right now. Rest assured, nothing catastrophic has happened. :)
As VeeDubTDI said nothing catastrophic has happened and the decision to cancel wasn't something taken lightly. This yearly event is very important to many of us, but now it's time to start thinking about TDIFest 2015.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
So, how about regional GTG across the continent (or around the world) all linked via video conferencing?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As VeeDubTDI said nothing catastrophic has happened and the decision to cancel wasn't something taken lightly. This yearly event is very important to many of us, but now it's time to start thinking about TDIFest 2015.
OK; I was concerned that something came out of left field at the last minute since everything was copacetic on the 22nd of May and dead a week later. Too bad all that hard work is down the drain.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, how about regional GTG across the continent (or around the world) all linked via video conferencing?
Well, the Bay Area Spring GTG is in 2 weeks.

Oops, make that the Bay Area SUMMER GTG since summer starts on Jun 21st!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Okay, Tom, please 'splain!
LOL.....Hit&Run while parked in front of my house Probably a Drunk Driver had to cross the center line The left side of the car developed several new Body lines including a new rear wheel several thousand in damage and the body shop didn't do stellar work.....:(

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
LOL.....Hit&Run while parked in front of my house Probably a Drunk Driver had to cross the center line The left side of the car developed several new Body lines including a new rear wheel several thousand in damage and the body shop didn't do stellar work.....:(

Damn… Sorry to hear this.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm disappointed in the demise of TDI Fest '14; I bought my TDI in September, '13 so this would have been my first opportunity to attend a TDI Fest.

With that said, I want to thank those who put their time, effort, and perhaps money into attempting to organize this event. I know from personal experience that a lot of work went into advancing the proposal to this point; we all get blindsided from time to time by the unexpected/unknowable.

Thanks to all of the St. Louis crew for your efforts on our behalf.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully you can make it to a local GTG sometime soon and/or next year's TDIFest. :)

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
If there were legal issues responsible for canceling this event, I would be interested in knowing what they were (assuming no lawsuits or risk of are at stake). Please share.

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
If there were legal issues responsible for canceling this event, I would be interested in knowing what they were (assuming no lawsuits or risk of are at stake). Please share.
Among other things Missouri requires all auctions to have a state licensed auctioneer.

The raffle could also be considered a 'game of chance' and some states don't like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.