www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:57   #1
vdubber4life
Banned

TDI(s): mkiv, mkiii
Default Can I rebuild vnt turbo?

Can a vnt turbo be rebuilt just like wastegated turbo?
vdubber4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:58   #2
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Sure.
Old April 27th, 2012, 13:06   #3
vdubber4life
Banned

And it will be just as good as new?
Old April 27th, 2012, 13:07   #4
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

As long as it's done by someone who knows what they are doing, yes.
Old April 27th, 2012, 13:38   #5
vdubber4life
Banned

Ok I ask because I've heard that garrett doesn't make any pieces to rebuld their vnt turbos, and they don't allow distributors tor ebult vnt"s because they are hard to warranty and balance correctly
Old April 27th, 2012, 13:42   #6
rackaracka
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubber4life View Post
Ok I ask because I've heard that garrett doesn't make any pieces to rebuld their vnt turbos, and they don't allow distributors tor ebult vnt"s because they are hard to warranty and balance correctly
That's the story I got from Garrett themselves. That being said - I have a rebuilt VNT15 that was done by a company that I had heard some good things about(G Pop Shop). After getting it back I got word from Franko6 that they had gotten a few rebuilt by this same shop and they all failed...

Buyer beware.
rackaracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 13:57   #7
davebugs

I had similar experience with the same place.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 14:02   #8
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Try www.timsturbos.com
Old April 27th, 2012, 22:48   #9
2footbraker
Veteran Member

I think if the moving parts are balanced to a high rpm you should be good. The smaller the turbo, the more critical balancing is. If the shop is aware of this, than the chances of the turbo lasting are greater. Personally, I would go with someone like turbomscanada, midwestturboconnection or boostlab or another local to you shop who are aware of the tight balance requirements of our smaller, high rpm turbos.

2footbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 20:03   #10
davebugs

Actually when questioned after G-pop said they test ALL the turbo's they rebuild they fessed up to not really being able to test variable vaned turbo's.

I too was recommended to them from performance 1.8t folks.

I had them install a new "cartridge" since they could do that in 3 days and wanted a week or 2 to rebuild the turbo. Immediate overboost. The VW tech's tested everything and it had to be the turbo.

I bought a new VNT17 from Bora, they installed it (with adapter) and all has been well since.

Funny part is the turbo I sent them was fine. Car had 185k and I was planning on a turbo rebuild at 200k purely due to how many RPM's they run and the environment they work in. The tech's did some checking and my MAF was wimpy - not within spec but not bad enough to set a code. So the reason I was down on power to begin with was the MAF.

So I paid them to break a turbo and keep my car tied up for a few weeks by the time it was all over.

They were very defensive when the tech's working on the car called them to see if they had any other ideas before we sent it back.

After we sent it back and they claimed it was good it became clear they really couldn't test it completely.

Which probably means they sold it to someone else.

I've just been hesitant to post - this was a few years ago. I have PM'd members when I've noticed they were gonna try these folks.
Old April 28th, 2012, 20:24   #11
Bush Hopper

No, you can not reliably rebuild a vnt turbo. It is possible on paper, in theory, but reality is that no one so far does reliable rebuilds.

Best line ATC ever made "Land at your discretion on the 407"
Bush Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 21:09   #12
vdubber4life
Banned

I love this website guys! Great info. Appreciate it very much.
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:11   #13
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Hopper View Post
No, you can not reliably rebuild a vnt turbo. It is possible on paper, in theory, but reality is that no one so far does reliable rebuilds.
This is bull, There are companies producing OEM quality parts so rebuilt is as good as new.

Beware of the Chinese crap or companies that cannot Balance the units.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:13   #14
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

Indeed. And to Davebugs comment, methinks the new cartridge was fitted- and then the turbo installed- by someone lacking in knowledge of actuator setup...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:23   #15
davebugs

In my case the actuator was tested using vacuum and was found to be within spec. That's the first thing the tech's checked - this isn't exactly their first time with a TDI turbo. Along with lots of stuff - even checking pinouts on the ECM, everything they could think of.

When we called G-pop shop and told them of overboost as soon as the RPMs came up and that the actualtor was working properly based on a vacuum test they got real defensive. Not trying to help but basically repeating "how could there be a problem - we know what we're doing and test every unit". Well, apparently they didn't know what they were doing and later admitted they can't test VNT turbo's.

How defensive they were and unwilling to take any responsibility is why I won't deal with them again. Everyone has issues sometimes. How they handle issues that come up is whats important. They were a definate FAIL in product and service.