www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old July 9th, 2011, 17:55   #1
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

Default Got a traffic ticket !

My friend got a traffic ticket yesterday for running a stop sign. We were just going to the office. The cop even said if we decide to fight this, he will show up. It's a set fine of $110 under section 134.
Just wanted some input from you guys, how can my friend go bout this?
Is x-copper good?
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 20:30   #2
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

The cop gets paid to show up. If he didn't stop, time to man up and pay, otherwise fight it.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:06   #3
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

I know that not stopping is really bad. I stop all the time, and so does my buddy. This one instance, he got a bit carried away, and run the stop sign and made a right turn, huge mistake.
Now that he got the ticket, what should he do about ?
It stands to get on his record for three years, and an insurance hike, which wants to avoid.
I am helping him through this, I just wanted to know are agencies like x-copper good for fighting these tickets?
Has anyone have experience with them?
Thanks
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:15   #4
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI View Post
I know that not stopping is really bad. I stop all the time, and so does my buddy. This one instance, he got a bit carried away, and run the stop sign and made a right turn, huge mistake.
Now that he got the ticket, what should he do about ?
It stands to get on his record for three years, and an insurance hike, which wants to avoid.
I am helping him through this, I just wanted to know are agencies like x-copper good for fighting these tickets?
Has anyone have experience with them?
Thanks
No offense intended here, but perhaps your friend should consult someone who actually knows about traffic tickets??? Perhaps a lawyer? The fact that you have to ask on a car forum indicates that you are not the right person to help him.

Kudos for wanting to help, though!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:50   #5
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

Its the weekend, we will call the respective places tomorrow. I am not here to attain any type of legal advise. I am here just to get some opinions from members who may have got a ticket in the past, and can help on what's the best way it can be dealt with. I am sorry, I thought we were a community here trying to help our fellow members out.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:53   #6
Joester

Fuel Economy: 52/42/28

i got a ticket for running a stop sign, operating a vehicle in an imprudent manor, and 86 in a 60, and got it all fixed by an attourney. its a bit expensive but not bad considering what a ticket can do to your insurance. you dont have to go to court or anything they take care of the whole thing. shouldnt be a hassle at all.

EDIT: my ticket was on a motorcycle if it matters
2002 VW Golf 4dr 5spd TDI ---- Malone stage 4 - Borg Warner BV-39 - PP520 Nozzles - South Bend Stage II Daily Clutch - TacoTaco Intercooler - Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts on H&R Sport Springs - 17x7 Long Beach Wheels with Bridgestone S0-4 Summers - General Altimax Arctic on Stock 15s for Winter
Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:54   #7
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Its the weekend, we will call the respective places tomorrow. I am not here to attain any type of legal advise. I am here just to get some opinions from members who may have got a ticket in the past, and can help on what's the best way it can be dealt with. I am sorry, I thought we were a community here trying to help our fellow members out.
We are, and I gave the best help I could just as you are trying to do. My own experience in the US will not translate to another country....

Good luck!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:06   #8
chrisfiat
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

pay the ticket learn the lesson quit whining
1976 Fiat 124(you know the top goes down)
chrisfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:36   #9
benchote13
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta, 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfiat View Post

YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER PAY A TICKET. Traffic tickets are nothing but a money grab and a way to generate money for the municipality and the insurance companies. Ask any cop, paralegal, or any one who is in the business. YES - there is something to be said for obeying the rules and traffic safety and so on. There are some idiots out there who deserve to get hammered, which should be up to the cops discretion, however, cops are pushed to give out tickets. Is the soccer mom driving 65 in a 50 or 55 in a 40 really endangering society? Or if she happens to roll two inches past the striped line and the cop sitting there nails her?

Here's my advice:

I used to always go to one of those paralegal organizations to fight my tickets. However, I realized that there is absolutely nothing they can do for you that you can't do for yourself as long as you know how the system works. It's like going to the stealership to get your car serviced, before you discovered TDI club There are basically two ways to fight a ticket. 1. You ask for a court date and hope the cop doesn't show up. This costs you absolutely nothing and you have a so so chance of getting off; more thin these days than in the old days, but it can happen and does happen all the time.

2. You go to the court and file for disclosure of evidence. You will be provided with the cops notes and hope that he either didn't take any notes, or made a mistake in his notes. Sometimes during those traps cops process so many people so quickly, they forget to or don;t take detailed enough notes. If you can identify a mistake in his notes, which is his only evidence, you fight it and try to get off, still nothing to lose over just paying the ticket, unless the ticket was reduced in which case the Crown may ask that you be found guilty of the original speeding offence, not the reduced charge. Even then in most cases, the JP, unless a complete dick, will deny the Crown's request and you'll be charged with the original offence. Now almost always, if you fight your ticket and you go a bit early before the JP enters the court room and speak to the prosecutor, the prosecutor will offer you a deal of a reduced fine and reduced points, and in most cases no points at all depending on the charge, if you plead to the reduced charges. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FREE and you have accomplished the exact same thing any paralegal would do for you for $250 plus dollars. The prosecutors offer the deals because they just want to move you through the system quick, grab your money, and get your ass out. Contested hearings take up court time and in the end probably nets them less money, than offering you the quick deal and having you out and on your way, with the easy money in their pockets and you feeling like they did you a great f*king favour. Further, depending on your buddies driving record and age and so on, generally speaking the amount a paralegal charges you to fight your ticket,will most like be more than the amount your insurance company would raise your rates for the ticket.

3. The other way to get off, is if the cop made a mistake on the ticket. But the mistake has to be a critical one such as wrong time, date, location, wrong charge, or wrong wording of the charge, or if the ticket was not signed. A simple typo such as mispelling a name, plate, or driver's license number, will no longer get you off as they changed the rules, and the JP will simply ask the cop to amend the ticket in front of your face and the trial will continue.

My advice is for your buddy to fight it himself as described above. He will probably be offered a deal by the prosecutor for $60.00 exactly and no points. I know this, because I just fought the exact same ticket last week. He will pay $80.00 in total with taxes, court costs, and any other sh*t they can add on there. The one question I have is how the F*CK can they charge tax on a fine? Which is basically a government tax anyways. So it's tax on a TAX! You gotta love it. GOOD LUCK!!

The other thing I wanted to add to this is that most insurance companies will allow two minor tickets on your record, without nailing you, this is directly from my insurance broker's mouth. A lot of tickets take up to a year to get to court and it is only entered onto your record upon conviction and then it stays on your record for three years from the date of conviction. So if you juggle things right, and delay a conviction while you are waiting for something else to clear, you will avoid rate hikes. If you already have two tickets on your record and they are both recent, you better play nice till they clear! Ask me how I know all this!

Last edited by benchote13; July 11th, 2011 at 20:36.
benchote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:45   #10
aywkubttod
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf TDI

Quote:
i'd say the same thing to anyone in the USA, but (from what others have posted in the past) it sounds like the consequences are a bit more severe in Canada, in terms of the impact on insurance and license-points; however, it also sounds exponentially easier to get out of owning up to the consequences with a little work.
aywkubttod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:58   #11
Slowrvr
Veteran Member

Default Re: cop not showing

As mentioned, less likely these days. When I had a ticket, the cop didn't show but the prosecutor just got it delayed to another date and that seemed completely routine. That was in another province though and a number of years ago.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:59   #12
vili19
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Golf TDI

dude if he didnt get any points just tell him to man up and pay it. at the end it was his fault, if you go a lawyer route or xcopper he will pay 3 times the amount..
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:09   #13
benchote13
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta, 2000

I've never seen the prosecutor seek an adjournment of a matter based on the fact that the cop did not show. I've been to court a lot of times and every time the cop didn't show everybody got off. It may be different in other provinces, but Ive never seen it here. I love watching half the court room just walkout when the cop doesn't show. It is always a joyful occasion, other than the time you lost

Last edited by benchote13; July 10th, 2011 at 11:12.
benchote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:20   #14
Peytron
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '10 Jetta

Quote:
It stays on the record for 3 years from the date of offense, but it won't affect your insurance until you are convicted or pay the ticket. So even if you don't get a lawyer, you can hold it up in court for awhile so it would be on your insurance for less time.
Peytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:47   #15
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks, fellow TDI club member !

Last edited by VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI; July 10th, 2011 at 12:54.