www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old March 28th, 2009, 06:11   #16
RC
Veteran Member

Make mine a CX7 please. Or a 6 wagon.
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:21   #17
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC
.... Or a 6 wagon.
And that would be easy, since Ford already sells the Mondeo Estate in Europe with a diesel engine. Which is the same car, just different badging.

They already sell a Focus diesel there too. Which is the same as the 3 (and the smallest Volvo) with different badging.

So if Ford has not done it, and WON'T do it apperently, I would not hold my breath that Mazda will.

...oh, the Mondeo Estate is one of the top picks for use as a tow car for travel trailers in the UK. Amazing! A whole country CAN function without the use of big gas V8 pickup trucks everywhere!!!
Old March 28th, 2009, 15:24   #18
Kiwi_ME
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
Amazing! A whole country CAN function without the use of big gas V8 pickup trucks everywhere!!!
Of course sometimes the Brits, like Kiwi's here are (ahem..) over-optimistic about what sort of car is suitable and safe for towing. No Class-3 spec hitches here, it's whatever the local garage can throw together with an arc welder.

People want what they can't have. Here, a American V8 pickup with a right-hand-drive conversion will sell for the price of a small house, while new diesel Corollas languish on the dealer's lots.
Kiwi_ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 15:39   #19
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul a
Of course sometimes the Brits, like Kiwi's here are (ahem..) over-optimistic about what sort of car is suitable and safe for towing. No Class-3 spec hitches here, it's whatever the local garage can throw together with an arc welder.

People want what they can't have. Here, a American V8 pickup with a right-hand-drive conversion will sell for the price of a small house, while new diesel Corollas languish on the dealer's lots.
You and I should buy a boat, I think I have a good business proposition for the both of us.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:19   #20
TurbinePower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
You and I should buy a boat, I think I have a good business proposition for the both of us.
I'll get in on some of that action, and I'm "near" a port of entry.
Small stable of VWs (projects)...
'80 Dasher Diesel, full restoration in the slow burner works
'82 Quantum "Coupe" 1.6 CIS gas power, daily driver
'89 Fox wagon (Korva!), the new back porch project. Suspension and interior work in progress!
TurbinePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:15   #21
oilhammer

It was so funny, someone I knew had a relative that was visiting from England. We went out one night, and he simply could not stop gawking at Camaros of all things. We (Yanks) all laughed, because we were all pretty much in agreement that the F-body was the poster child for white trash trailer parks. He (the Brit) did not get the joke. We all got a good laugh.

I guess anything that is built of pure 'Unobtainium' will be coveted. Look at what T3 Dokas sell for here when people have them!
Old March 29th, 2009, 13:53   #22
Kiwi_ME
Veteran Member

Generally folks anywhere outside of NA are fascinated with American muscle and classic cars, and Kiwi's are huge fans. But they are completely unaware of those long-developed stereotypes. Our equivalent to the Camero is a 90's Nissan Skyline - the choice car for boy racers - not new, but imported as a used vehicle from Japan as most of our incoming vehicles are. It is not possible to own one without looking like a complete tool.

On a similar note, owning a diesel here gives me no street cred at all. Diesel SUV's are in the vast majority and mentioning you own one is social suicide - unless it is towing a very nice boat. The person who wishes to stand out buys a gasoline SUV.

Diesel cars on the other hand are still uncommon but readily available new. There is a strong public perception that the diesel version is more expensive to maintain and saves you nothing in the end. With a new-price premium of about 10%, that unfortunately ends up being nearly true.
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:19   #23
BRUSSELS BELGIAN
Old Whig

Fuel Economy: 70.6/ 51/ 38
Default Mazda Fan

I have never made any secret of the fact that I bought my TDI's because they were diesels; NOT because they were VW's. You heard it here: if Mazda gets serious about this diesel technology, they will administer the biggest a$$ kicking to VW that they have ever experienced.
2005 Passat PD TDI
BRUSSELS BELGIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:53   #24
truman
Veteran Member

I wish they still offered the 6 wagon here, which was replaced by the CX7. The wife's 04 wagon has been a delightful car, so far. The suspension, handling, ride quality are much nicer than my 03JW. A diesel version would be sweet.
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 15:14   #25
Kiwi_ME
Veteran Member

The comments from Mazda in the CNN article were not directed specifically at supplying a NA market, even though a mention was made by the writer regarding hybrid technology as being the "the wave of the future" for many other brands in NA.

No doubt if Mazda identified a viable diesel market in NA for themselves than you would think Honda and Toyota at minimum would re-evaluate their hybrid vs diesel offerings.
Old March 29th, 2009, 16:52   #26
boutmuet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34-40 MPG

Promises mean little in the automotive world, even still it would be great to see some Japanese Diesels.

boutmuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 17:44   #27
raybo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2001 Golf (SOLD 11/15/15): 45 MPG avg mostly highway; JSW high 30's around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN
I have never made any secret of the fact that I bought my TDI's because they were diesels; NOT because they were VW's. You heard it here: if Mazda gets serious about this diesel technology, they will administer the biggest a$$ kicking to VW that they have ever experienced.
BB -

With all due respect, check out the latest SUV rollover ratings - Tiguan is 5-Star. We buy these VWs because they are the safest small cars. Mazda = tin can. Ford forced Volvo to stop advertising their strong roofs because folks were/are getting crushed in Explorer rollovers.

We need the German engineered safety VWs provide. Do a search for the wrecked Golfs on this forum where the driver walked away.

Ray
2010 JSW DSG White Gold Metallic/Corn Silk 105K | Pano | Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 as of 50K | Continental PureContact | built 11/09 (hers) HPFP disintegrated 12/14 - entire fuel system repaired by VWoA Jan 2015 at 93K miles
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 23:37   #28
michigandon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 A3
Fuel Economy: 44 best, 38 worst

I'll take a diesel B4000 please!

And I will select it over a Mahindra without batting an eye too.
michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:33   #29
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

On the interview show called "your show" from channel 9 Denver today the head of Toyota NA stated with no ambiguity ;

"It all depends on how far & how quick we are willing to go with CAFE increases as to whether Toyota will bring diesel models to the US anytime soon ." From what was said it sounded like Toyota has a diesel ready to sell here now if CAFE forces it .

From what I read this weekend a requirement of 24 mpg for light trucks & 30 mpg for cars highways CAFE starting in 2011 is being announced this week . Depending on how much CAFE increases & how little time the automakers are given to reach proposed increasing CAFE rules will dictate what diesel models we get here in coming years . Currently diesel tech is the only real way to meet meaningful CAFE increase today and for the foreseeable future .

The 2011 target for a north American spec Mazda diesel is likely tied to that administrations pronouncement this coming week of the coming increasing CAFE requirements starting in 2011 .
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:25   #30
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandon
I'll take a diesel B4000 please!

And I will select it over a Mahindra without batting an eye too.
You know those are just Ford Rangers, right?