www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 25th, 2019, 06:19   #5386
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Lots of people reported that the VW TSB did not really fix the issue. Just helped in a few marginal cases.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 19:39   #5387
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy View Post
Thanks for the reminder. After more thought, I think not covering my lower front this winter may be the cause of the re-occurrence. I installed a tow plate to be able to tow four down behind my bus and all the brackets are in that grill area. Since I had the TSB installed in 2011, I have covered the lower front with pipe foam every winter but this one. So perhaps the TSB didnít really fix anything?? Next thing will be to drill the drain hole.
Pretty much what kjclow said. Never really helped...
I know when I had my '11 I had the lower cover in place when the winter came on and it really helped speed up warm up times along with preventing the no start condition. I do remember having one time where it was a hard start... but that was before I had the cover in place.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 20:13   #5388
Mark1331

I have been using the IDparts winter front for while now, and I love it. No more intercooler icing. Also, on a reasonably warm day recently (50 degrees) I took the care through a brush type car wash, forgot I had the winter front on. Everything remained in place nicely, if that is a concern for anyone.
Mark1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 03:06   #5389
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1331 View Post
I have been using the IDparts winter front for while now, and I love it. No more intercooler icing. Also, on a reasonably warm day recently (50 degrees) I took the care through a brush type car wash, forgot I had the winter front on. Everything remained in place nicely, if that is a concern for anyone.
YES! The easiest fix to intercooler icing along with some other benefits.

Finally took mine off yesterday as we are starting to see highs in the 50s and 60s next week.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 14:43   #5390
jesus_man
Veteran Member

So, after checking for water in my system several times, it finally yielded enough water to be a concern. Trying to think outside the box here, and hoping to brainstorm collectively (unless this has already been done on the previous 359 pages) that there has to be a good solution that does not require a $570 kit + install.
Looking at the diagram, am I correct that we are to remove the rubber hose on the passenger side from the #18 in this diagram?

If so, perhaps someone more knowledgeable about parts could install some sort of drain in that hose with a small valve at the end of it that could be accessible without removing any tools.
Something on the order of a nipple off the bottom of item 18, a length of hose with this at the end.

Then you just open the valve with the engine running and blow out any water with each fill-up or something on that order?

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 06:43   #5391
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

The suggestion buried either somewhere back in this thread or in another thread is to just drill a small drain hole in the bottom hose and let it drain rather then collect. The problem i see with a valve is knowing how often is often enough to open and close it
Old April 10th, 2019, 09:15   #5392
jesus_man
Veteran Member

Agreed, but I also don't like unfiltered air to have a chance of entering the system.

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 15:15   #5393
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
YES! The easiest fix to intercooler icing along with some other benefits.
Finally took mine off yesterday as we are starting to see highs in the 50s and 60s next week.
I'm not so sure. The problem isn't icing, it's condensate accumulating in the intercooler. Ice will clog it, but a slug of water can be sucked into the engine at any temperature. On my Mk VI, this happened numerous times even in +30C weather in summer. It would happen after about two weeks of accumulation. I'd pull out to pass a farm vehicle or something, nail the throttle, be in the left lane, and I'd lose all power. Very disconcerting with on-coming vehicles looming.

The only cure to that was an "Italian tune-up" at least once a week. My wife's Mk 5.5 wagon (2013) on the other hand, never had an issue and never had the intercooler kit installed, while my 2011 hatch, had the kit and it did zilch.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 10:07   #5394
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Never had an issue above freezing. Warm moist EGR mixing with cooler air, condensing and then freezing caused a few rough starts running no cover. I am on my third CJAA equipped car and never had a no start or any water in the intercooler related issues causing damage, hundreds of thousands of miles on them. One car had the fix, never an issue with that car either.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote