used 2010 - not certified... good deal?

ajbowman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sedan
I am looking at a used 2010 Jetta TDI sedan... it is exactly what I want as far as features, color, etc. and what I think is a good price. $20k plus $500 to add 17" Goal wheels from another car. According to the dealer, the car "passed all the inspections to be certified but we chose not to spend the money to certify it so we could sell it cheaper."

Does this sound fishy? Are they trying to cover it up that it was returned as a lemon or something? The car car 350 miles away so its not like I can look at it easily. Is it worth the drive?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You want the CPO designation to get the extended warranty coverage. Have you ever owned a VW before?

Welcome aboard, AJ!

Ohh, ask for a printout of ALL warranty claims so far ;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Does this sound fishy? Are they trying to cover it up that it was returned as a lemon or something? The car car 350 miles away so its not like I can look at it easily. Is it worth the drive?
Yes it does sound a little fishy. Certifying it costs the dealer almost nothing. There must be some kind of history to this car. As stated ask for the warranty repair history, or ask if you can contact the previous owner. It sounds like there is something they do not want to tell you. My car was certified with 20,000 miles on it in minutes because all service was done by the dealer. Be careful of this car AND this dealer - both of them appear to have a history you should be concerned about.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, the certification does cost reall money to add. They may want to sell it without the CPO to keep the price a bit lower and not so close to that of a brand new equiv. car.

ajbowman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sedan
OK - I will ask the salesman for the warranty history of the car. It was originally sold at the same dealership so they should have all that info. Anything else to ask for?

Is it unreasonable to ask the dealer to add CPO to it? Maybe for an extra $500 or something? I would think it would be worth it for the warranty.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the cost is closer to $2k. I'm sure someone else here will have a more precise number.

I don't think I'd proceed without it. Did you say how many miles are on this car?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
No, the certification does cost reall money to add. They may want to sell it without the CPO to keep the price a bit lower and not so close to that of a brand new equiv. car.
They charged me $499 for certification and all other documentary fees combined, and I assume they made a profit on the deal. This was with 20k miles on the clock. I think that it would be well worth it for the extended warranty coverage. See this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=289409

I find it hard to believe that they can offer a better warranty on a CPO than on a new car, but that's the way it worked out.

I would worry, without complete documentation.

Don

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
$500 to add 17" Goal wheels from another car.
In my experience 16" wheels are a better choice for the Midwest if the car will be driven in the winter or spring when the roads have damaging holes. Increase in handling is negligible, increase in risk to damage due to road hazards is significant.

I've learned this lesson the hard way.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Geez, that's cheap! I'd take two at that price ;) Thanks, Chris.

ajbowman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sedan
In my experience 16" wheels are a better choice for the Midwest if the car will be driven in the winter or spring when the roads have damaging holes. Increase in handling is negligible, increase in risk to damage due to road hazards is significant.

I've learned this lesson the hard way.
I won't argue with that... but the 17" wheels look a TON nicer to me. I am not buying a prius for a reason! No offense against 16" wheel owners.

I think I will offer same price, including CPO tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, from what Chris is saying, the car is not eligible.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Chris said either 1 yr. from in service dated OR 7500 mi. so if the car is less that one year from in service - no go. But since the car has over 7500 mi. it sounds like it would qualify. Made some assumptions re Chris' exact meaning in his post above but it sounds like it qualifies to me.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, you might be right. I didn't quite read it that way.

ajbowman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sedan
So when I offered the same price to the dealer if he could throw in the CPO certification, he said "Im sorry but the car has been sold" so I guess that is the end of that. Seemed a little weird to me.

I'm still looking...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AJ, loads of cars are there and more showing up in the used market place with every passing (failure) minute ;) Not to worry - - you'll find the right car.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
No big deal there are tons of car out there.That deal sound fishy to anyway.

Cal Willden

Vendor
TDI
All of Them
Yes it does sound a little fishy. Certifying it costs the dealer almost nothing. There must be some kind of history to this car. As stated ask for the warranty repair history, or ask if you can contact the previous owner. It sounds like there is something they do not want to tell you. My car was certified with 20,000 miles on it in minutes because all service was done by the dealer. Be careful of this car AND this dealer - both of them appear to have a history you should be concerned about.

Have Fun!

Don
Actually, it costs us just under $1000 to certify a "Pre-Loved" vehicle. But the $20,000.00 is a great price and I would offer to pay them $21,000.00 to buy it certified. If they won't do that, then I would avoid doing business with them.

BTW, we've sold 2010 Pre-Loved TDIs for $25,000+, so the price is a good price.

Cal Willden

Vendor
TDI
All of Them
FYI,

Vehicle Eligibility

Every Volkswagen vehicle must meet the following qualifications to become Certified Pre-Owned:
  • Have less than 75,000 miles at time of certification
  • Be no older than current model year or previous five model years, with the oldest model year dropping off on December 31 of each year
  • Have been in service at least six months or 6,000 miles at time of certification
  • All U.S. dealers are required to provide a CARFAX® Vehicle History Report with every VW CPO delivery.
A vehicle is not eligible for certification if:
  • There is any major structural damage or if the vehicle was ever reported totaled
  • The VIN does not match with the plates and paperwork
  • The mileage showing on the odometer is different from the actual mileage
  • The vehicle does not have a CARFAX® Vehicle History Report
  • The title is branded
  • Warranty buybacks are not eligible for certification if they were re-purchased due to manufacture defects, mechanical defects, Better Business Bureau claims or lemon law buybacks. If considering certification on a buyback vehicle, please check the excluded VIN list in VCAS.
NOTE: If there are any open campaigns, vehicles can be certified after the campaign is completed and reported.
If you have questions regarding CPO qualification, call 248.754.6566 or the warranty help line at 866.306.8447.