www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old August 14th, 2019, 03:18   #2176
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The DPFs do not clog up, they crack and leak. So the fact that the DPF "survived" a measly 50k miles while adding 2-stroke oil to the fuel means absolutely nothing.

The variable displacement oil pumps VAG has been using in some gas engines for a while now have not had any issues aside from the occasional oil pressure sensor failure.

The variable displacement water pumps ARE a common failure item, so common is the control collar breaking on the 2015 TDI 4 cyl engines that the replacements no longer have this collar...effectively eliminating the variable feature of the pump. They still have the plug, though, so no software changes and I guess they have no way of detecting if the system is actually working or not.

And for the record, in the event a HPFP failure should happen, it does NOT mean the crazy amounts of money you see posted here. We also have a vendor here that can properly fix and clean the injectors, so they needn't be replaced either. You basically just do the pump itself, the two electric pumps (although the auxiliary electric pump under the hood could probably be cleaned easily enough, they never die), the rail pressure sensor and control solenoid (these would be difficult to really get clean I think) and a filter. That's it. Every other piece can be carefully disassembled and cleaned, no problem. Of the two that I did, I know for sure one is still on the road today nearly 50k miles later.
Old August 14th, 2019, 04:52   #2177
MikeH31324

TDI(s): None...yet!

Thanks Oilhammer, this sounds more realistic and reasonable. You guys are definitely going to make me spend some money and add another diesel to my fleet. In a few days my commute is increasing from 16 miles a day to 70 miles a day. Will be mostly two lane highway at 55-60 MPH with a few intersections/traffic lights. The diesel Golf will save enough fuel compared to my Dodge truck that it will actually pay for itself.

So now the only remaining question is to buy a 2012-2014, or a 2015?
MikeH31324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 05:35   #2178
oilhammer

I have been driving 100 miles a day for 20 years, but I prefer the older cars because they are far less costly to operate. I would not let "saving money" be your only reason for buying a TDI. There are cheaper cars to own out there, even if they only get 35 MPG at best. They'll often suck to drive, though.
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:21   #2179
steve05ram360
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 2D Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The DPFs do not clog up, they crack and leak. So the fact that the DPF "survived" a measly 50k miles while adding 2-stroke oil to the fuel means absolutely nothing.

The variable displacement oil pumps VAG has been using in some gas engines for a while now have not had any issues aside from the occasional oil pressure sensor failure.

The variable displacement water pumps ARE a common failure item, so common is the control collar breaking on the 2015 TDI 4 cyl engines that the replacements no longer have this collar...effectively eliminating the variable feature of the pump. They still have the plug, though, so no software changes and I guess they have no way of detecting if the system is actually working or not.

And for the record, in the event a HPFP failure should happen, it does NOT mean the crazy amounts of money you see posted here. We also have a vendor here that can properly fix and clean the injectors, so they needn't be replaced either. You basically just do the pump itself, the two electric pumps (although the auxiliary electric pump under the hood could probably be cleaned easily enough, they never die), the rail pressure sensor and control solenoid (these would be difficult to really get clean I think) and a filter. That's it. Every other piece can be carefully disassembled and cleaned, no problem. Of the two that I did, I know for sure one is still on the road today nearly 50k miles later.

Seriously??? so no need to ever clean a dpf... edit: Ah, I get it, yeah they would crack and leak cause they are not flowing enough and overheating...

50k is still 50k, its all I put on it before it got parked... back then the concern was it would take out the dpf which clearly it did not. Had I not been away from home for so long I would have kept it. The ram with 415k atm (405k that I put on it) takes priority.

The CP4 stinks, google it for all its applications with the failures and you'll agree. Add 2 stroke to the fuel to keep it alive or swap in the cp3.

Last edited by steve05ram360; August 14th, 2019 at 07:23.
steve05ram360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:56   #2180
oilhammer

The DPFs on the CBEA and CJAA engines are not known for ever "filling up", no. They are WELL KNOWN for cracking, which causes soot to get past them, which doesn't really bother the DPF but it clogs up the low pressure EGR filter tube. This manifests itself as a stored EGR insufficient flow DTC, and sooty tailpipes. The engine will be running perfectly fine. There is a TSB for this. Pre-dieselgate. The issue is worse now. Which may be why they threw an "extra" new DPF into the fix for later on, and removed the low pressure EGR filter tube and just put one in that has no such innards and cannot clog up. Thus passing all the soot from the cracked DPF right into the turbocharger instead.
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:12   #2181
steve05ram360
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 2D Golf

What is the root cause for the cracking?

My truck is pre-dpf so the only experience I had was on the 2011 golf I had. It sounds like the CR TDI has become a greater headache in stock form than it used to be.
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:10   #2182
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
What is the root cause for the cracking?

My truck is pre-dpf so the only experience I had was on the 2011 golf I had. It sounds like the CR TDI has become a greater headache in stock form than it used to be.
Well what is the root cause of anything that breaks? I mean, it clearly wasn't designed to withstand the demands placed upon it. I am not aware of anyone else's DPFs that do that.

Sadly, the CR TDI never really got a chance to mature (for us, anyway), as the 2015 kind of changed so many things that it was in effect almost like starting over. I feel like that version by now is probably very good. We just cannot buy them here. Good news for the 2015s we DID get that are still here, it is possible much of any improvements made since then can be retrofitted to these as required.

Of course, Dieselgate has thrown a giant rusty wrench into the whole works. It is really anyone's guess long term how this plays out, but from what I see right now it isn't great. However slightly less bad for the 2015s, as they were not deemed as bad to begin with. And SCR does allow a little better operation so long as IT stays working properly. Of course, they couldn't seem to figure out the manual CKRA cars. So the only 45+ MPG midsized sedan with the proper number of pedals was removed from the roads, except for some folks who opted out and kept their cars.
Old August 14th, 2019, 14:17   #2183
MikeH31324

TDI(s): None...yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I have been driving 100 miles a day for 20 years, but I prefer the older cars because they are far less costly to operate. I would not let "saving money" be your only reason for buying a TDI. There are cheaper cars to own out there, even if they only get 35 MPG at best. They'll often suck to drive, though.
As I have gotten older I will not own a vehicle that I do not enjoy driving. I prefer older and cheaper vehicles because I cannot bring myself to buy new, and because they have to be relatively simple enough to be economically maintained at home. I have not driven a MKVI Golf yet, but have driven a 2010 Audi A3 TSI and loved it. Hopefully being 6í2Ē I will fit in a Golf OK.

Typically once I find a vehicle that I deem a keeper I will repair/modify as necessary to correct all of the quirks and problems, even if it doesnít make sound financial sense. I have way more in my diesel Dodge than itís worth, but it runs and drives way better than when it was new. Iím sure I will do the same with a TDI Golf.
MikeH31324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 03:33   #2184
oilhammer

I agree, I could not stand to drive something I didn't like either. I actually enjoy driving, and my Golf allows me to enjoy something I have to do anyway. And I even drive a lot of extra miles just for fun. Took my son for a spin last night, piled another ~50 miles on it enjoying some of the country back roads around my little town.