Vendor Accountability Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
want to give a 5 star review to Anchored Motorworks. I recently bought a starter rebuild kit from Mozambiquer and it came in 2 days. The shipping was faster then expected, and the rebuild was easy. Mozambiquer was super helpful answering my many questions with knowledge, and professionalism. The brush holder looks to be even higher quality then the original, so I am excited to see how it performs in the long run.

Biggles48

TDI
MKIV Jetta and a military diesel, used to have a MKI rabbit N.A.
Is New South Performance out of business? I have been trying to reach them by phone, email, and website since pre pandemic days and haven't gotten a response.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is New South Performance out of business? I have been trying to reach them by phone, email, and website since pre pandemic days and haven't gotten a response.
Nope, still operating. We buy from them regularly. Phone contact has always been hit or miss, however.

Biggles48

TDI
MKIV Jetta and a military diesel, used to have a MKI rabbit N.A.
Nope, still operating. We buy from them regularly. Phone contact has always been hit or miss, however.
I've been leaving messages and emailing for well over a year now.
I'm to the point of trying to find someone local to ask them in person to return my calls.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Bought a cp3 conversion kit from xman turbos. Everything looked okay. Installed easily enough. Was a bear to prime. Had fuel to the pump and out of return.

After multiple cranking sessions I loosen the high pressure fuel line to the rail. And another 8 to 10 second cranking interval finally got fuel to the rail. It started right up

Once running, it had a very loud diesel clacking sound. I was immediately getting low real pressure codes.they seemed to go away after the tune adjusted to the new pump. Would still get the codes while hard in the throttle. Very little, if any black smoke.
within 140 MI the pump blew pieces out of it.one piston had seized.
While It doesn't look like any metal went into the high pressure fuel lines, I am replacing all my injectors and cleaned all the lines anyway. I am also replacing the timing belt. Sprayed with 5 gal of diesel.
From research it looks like a ball check was left out of the pump. But I will not know until I tear into the pump.
So a bad CP3 pump, at minimum cost me: timing belt, a $300 tow, an extra 6 hours of work. And now I have to drive my truck that gets 18 miles to the gallon..... As well as being without my car for 10 days. On the positive. He responded to me at 2am his time. And sent out a replacement pump the next morning.

JDOGWIN

TDI
02 modded Jetta Tdi auto, hunting for the legendary 08 v10 touareg North sails
I recently bought a full delete kit for my 2014 Touareg TDI and got the tune through rawtek since it was similar in price to the tune I wanted directly from malone off their new tunezilla. Only to find out after the fact that if you want any add-ons like dynamic idle, CP3 Pump etc. you have to then reach out again to malone directly to get those and pay for a retune. It's a whole bunch of BS when instead you can just skip that go directly to malone and have it done nearly instantly if you have a tool already. There is NO benefit to going through rawtek and only the added cost in time, frustration, and hurting wallet.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I recently bought a full delete kit for my 2014 Touareg TDI and got the tune through rawtek since it was similar in price to the tune I wanted directly from malone off their new tunezilla. Only to find out after the fact that if you want any add-ons like dynamic idle, CP3 Pump etc. you have to then reach out again to malone directly to get those and pay for a retune. It's a whole bunch of BS when instead you can just skip that go directly to malone and have it done nearly instantly if you have a tool already. There is NO benefit to going through rawtek and only the added cost in time, frustration, and hurting wallet.
Have you tried resolving these issues prior to posting in this thread? Maybe explain to Malone the situation in depth a little more?

I agree, that does bite...

N8TeK

TDI
1998 ahu 1.9
i know I’m new here to tdi world but I’ve been around ford and Nissan forums for 15 plus years … …. But vendor frank06 here

Has BEEN the coolest ,
most knowledgeable…
and straight forward guy I have ever spoke to
out of any car forum I participate in …. …
This guy literally spent almost half the entire day helping me over the phone ( no joke ) halfway through this phone call I looked down and it had been 47min……..
just a incredible guy … and this group is lucky to have him …..
( I also had tons of help from member Jokilla here but I’m not quite sure he’s a vendor )
I’ve have amazing success with kerma literally delivering that white box to my house 2-3 days tops Everytime after an order was made ….
and idparts has been great to me ….

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Nate,
1/2 a day is an exaggeration. Maybe 2+ hrs... lol..

Nate is a newbie struggling with the basics for an AHU timing belt install. While I was doing some other things and he's sending me Go Pro videos of HOW NOT TO DO a timing belt job, I got some laughs at his expense and finally, when the lightbulb went on for Nate, the timing belt magically had all sorts of room to install. Waddaya know bout that?

BUT... Once again, I find someone new at the game of TDI's, following a very INCORRECT 'How To' for the cam sprocket bolt torque. This one was from MyTurboDiesel(MTD). It could have led to disaster. But I see this same incorrect information published in several of the 'Professional Torque Spec Sheets' and a 'How To' for A4 timing belt procedures. I guess I shouldn't make a fuss, as I have already made it very clear that in some years, 6% of my cylinder business is a cam sprocket that slipped, directly related to insufficient torque on the cam sprocket bolt. I get to rebuild a cylinder head. Maybe even pistons, rods and bearings... or more...Oh boy... and the customer is out anywhere from $900-$1400 or more, just because a bolt was not tightened enough.

I am very tired of the 'general consensus' that 33 ft lbs is a great number for an ALH, and now, MTD added the AHU cam sprocket bolt. VAG should make a statement how WRONG that number is, but don't hold your breath on that one.

As simple as I can make it, why, do some repair manuals for the AHU call out 54 ft lbs for the sprocket bolt? Why does a very similar connection--- same bolt and cam bevel-- get 74 ft lbs with the PD engines? And the ALH is only 33 ft lbs? USE THE MOST UNCOMMON THING ON EARTH... COMMON SENSE! That is just plain stupid. I don't need another head to work on. If you have that torque spec sheet, cross out the number that says 33 ft lbs and put in 45. I don't live by the Gospel of VAG. They make mistakes, too. In case you hadn't noticed...

I think each and every vendor who promotes this incorrect torque value should reconsider spreading what I consider destructive and damaging information. Each place that has a 'How To' showing this misinformation should be corrected, even though I understand, it's been out there and WRONG for longer than I have been on the TDIClub, there is not time-limit for fixing a mistake that keeps being repeated.

For me, the fact I was there to keep Nathan from making what could have been a giant mistake is something of a reward all by itself.

I'm glad I was able to help you, Nathan. Good luck with your 'Unicorn'.

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Just another cheater among us stealing my business name to steal $$$ from unsuspecting customers. Tired of getting calls from their mad customers. I am working with their domain already.

I do not endorse this company nor have any association with this "rocketchipusa.com" or "chipyourcar.com" company.

I apologize if you have been ripped off by this fraudulent internet shill company.

Please pass on the word, don't buy from this company expecting to receive my products and services - normally obtained thru RocketChip Performance Tuning LLC.

This company is using domain https://www.rocketchipusa.com/
whois:

it is also using domain
whois:

Here is BBB complaints already:

Wow, I am getting so many angry calls and texts about these cheap tuning boxes not working on gassers. Chevy gas truck guys want to hurt me now. Should I cancel/shut down fraudlent RCusa now or let epa go after him instead of me?? Its getting stupid annoying dealing with the clueless public and the internet trolls - x1000.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Nate,
1/2 a day is an exaggeration. Maybe 2+ hrs... lol..

Nate is a newbie struggling with the basics for an AHU timing belt install. While I was doing some other things and he's sending me Go Pro videos of HOW NOT TO DO a timing belt job, I got some laughs at his expense and finally, when the lightbulb went on for Nate, the timing belt magically had all sorts of room to install. Waddaya know bout that?

BUT... Once again, I find someone new at the game of TDI's, following a very INCORRECT 'How To' for the cam sprocket bolt torque. This one was from MyTurboDiesel(MTD). It could have led to disaster. But I see this same incorrect information published in several of the 'Professional Torque Spec Sheets' and a 'How To' for A4 timing belt procedures. I guess I shouldn't make a fuss, as I have already made it very clear that in some years, 6% of my cylinder business is a cam sprocket that slipped, directly related to insufficient torque on the cam sprocket bolt. I get to rebuild a cylinder head. Maybe even pistons, rods and bearings... or more...Oh boy... and the customer is out anywhere from $900-$1400 or more, just because a bolt was not tightened enough.

I am very tired of the 'general consensus' that 33 ft lbs is a great number for an ALH, and now, MTD added the AHU cam sprocket bolt. VAG should make a statement how WRONG that number is, but don't hold your breath on that one.

As simple as I can make it, why, do some repair manuals for the AHU call out 54 ft lbs for the sprocket bolt? Why does a very similar connection--- same bolt and cam bevel-- get 74 ft lbs with the PD engines? And the ALH is only 33 ft lbs? USE THE MOST UNCOMMON THING ON EARTH... COMMON SENSE! That is just plain stupid. I don't need another head to work on. If you have that torque spec sheet, cross out the number that says 33 ft lbs and put in 45. I don't live by the Gospel of VAG. They make mistakes, too. In case you hadn't noticed...

I think each and every vendor who promotes this incorrect torque value should reconsider spreading what I consider destructive and damaging information. Each place that has a 'How To' showing this misinformation should be corrected, even though I understand, it's been out there and WRONG for longer than I have been on the TDIClub, there is not time-limit for fixing a mistake that keeps being repeated.

For me, the fact I was there to keep Nathan from making what could have been a giant mistake is something of a reward all by itself.

I'm glad I was able to help you, Nathan. Good luck with your 'Unicorn'.
I do ascribe to the higher torque value on the ALH/AHU cam bolt but I believe the reason the PD bolt is torqued so much higher is that the cam is doing way more work driving the injectors. Plus the PD hub is super beefy and can handle the taper loading without excessive distortion.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
PD cam has a keyed alignment and a much larger diameter bolt. The timing adjustment for torsion is done via the 3 cap screws mating the pulley to the hub.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Dogdots,
I was not where I could confirm my information until today, but going back to the AHU and even the CBEA/ CJAA engines and although I don't have one to compare, I'd bet also in the CKRA, the cam sprocket bolt is the same 12mm x 1.75 thread, same length, with a fixed, heavy washer attached. The cam bolt for all those engines are identical EXCEPT... The older ones from the AHU and ALH often had 19mm hex heads rather than the current 18mm hex. The maximum torque for a 10.9, 12mm coarse bolt is 143 Nm or roughly 73 ft lbs. So, if you get right down to it, the PD torque is actually past the limits of the bolt.

So, if your reasoning for the disparity between tightening is questionable. Even to the materials used, there is virtually no difference.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I’m going to go out and tighten my cam sprocket bolt toot sweet. I went a little past the 33, say maybe 40 ft pounds at best.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Dogdots,
I was not where I could confirm my information until today, but going back to the AHU and even the CBEA/ CJAA engines and although I don't have one to compare, I'd bet also in the CKRA, the cam sprocket bolt is the same 12mm x 1.75 thread, same length, with a fixed, heavy washer attached. The cam bolt for all those engines are identical EXCEPT... The older ones from the AHU and ALH often had 19mm hex heads rather than the current 18mm hex. The maximum torque for a 10.9, 12mm coarse bolt is 143 Nm or roughly 73 ft lbs. So, if you get right down to it, the PD torque is actually past the limits of the bolt.

So, if your reasoning for the disparity between tightening is questionable. Even to the materials used, there is virtually no difference.
I was merely trying to point out that the PD/Common rail engines don’t have a tapered cam pulley as alluded to by jimbote above. I reread his post and now see he was talking about the rigidity of the hub. It’s been a few years since I did a timing belt, my job is full time international travel now and I was going from memory 🤪. Greetings from Toronto this week.

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I am a fan of accurate information. Sorry, but now I have to do it again. The PD is a tapered cam to pulley. To be very exacting, I think the bolt is as tight as it ever should be. The taper connection is a VERY solid connection, which I believe has an upper and lower reasonable limit. The ALH, by the book, is too loose. The PD, I think very tight, but I still accept that measurement.

Although you are correct about the CR's having a straight shaft connection.

Enjoy the time across the Northern border.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The key is not taking any of the torsional load, merely just an index for the pulley. If the key takes any torsional load, your day is already shot.

The cam will twist off before the taper will slip (if properly assembled)

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I was merely trying to point out that the PD/Common rail engines don’t have a tapered cam pulley as alluded to by jimbote above. I reread his post and now see he was talking about the rigidity of the hub. It’s been a few years since I did a timing belt, my job is full time international travel now and I was going from memory 🤪. Greetings from Toronto this week.
Welcome to Toronto. Did you drive a diesel up here ? Maybe some of the Ontario folk can make it into a mini-GTG. PM me if you'd like a tour of the city or any other info. Cheers.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I kinda rode in a diesel to get here…a big metal bird 😀. Currently driving a rented RT Dodge Durango with a Hemi I’m working in Oakville the last two weeks. Thanks for the offer! My schedule is full this trip but I’ll give you a shout next time I’m nearby.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Sorry it's taken me a bit of time to get back around... The cam sprocket bolt for EVERYTHING going back to the 1Z/AHU and through the PD's is exactly the same bolt and thread. The AHU, ALH and the PD engines have a tapered cam/ sprocket arrangement. Although each engine calls out a different torque spec, I wonder why. The Common Rail, just like the gassers, have the straight shaft with a keyway. Personally, I think the taper cam/ sprocket is a very fine connection, when properly torqued (and I don't mean 33 ft lbs, It's at least 45 ft lbs..).

I know historically, I have aggravated several of the 'guru's', who held tight to the weak 33 ft lb. torque load. However, after years of seeing that Bentley book keep everyone in lockstep and I believe once VAG makes an engineering commitment, they stick to their guns, right or wrong. Over the course of many years, slipped cam sprockets are the reason for about 6% of my entire cylinder head business. Believe me, I am glad to see the message finally come home. There are less issues with slipped cam sprockets on the ALH than ever before.

DogDots, you might be confusing the CRANK SPROCKET bolt, which the AHU was shorter and a smaller thread (12mm), the ALH and PD have the same thread (14mm), but are different lengths with the PD crank sprocket bolt being longer to accommodate for the wider sprocket for the PD motors. The reason VAG went to a larger bolt thread and higher torque load (66 ft lbs +1/4 turn on the 1Z and AHU), was the amount of sprockets that ended up working loose and wrecking the sprocket, keyway on the crank and occasionally destroying an engine. Warranty repairs will do that to a company... So, the later models ALH and the PD's were upgraded to 14mm thread and 88ft lbs +1/4 turn. If you have a big enough torque wrench, that comes up to about 325 ft lbs. on the crank's sprocket for the ALH and PD motors.

Fix till Broke is exactly right. The keyway for any cam, same as any tanged bearing is to LOCATE ONLY. As a matter of fact, we have had some customers try turning the cam against only the valve spring pressure and tear the cast-in keyway out of the cam pulley. NEVER use the pulley to turn the cam unless the bolt for the pulley is tightened to spec.

Last edited:

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Hey @IndigoBlueWagon, have a shout out for non-forum related biz -- We work on a lot of Euro diesels at our shop, and I have been using your website to find parts that are not available through the giant wholesale supplier with the initials WP, are thin on the ground, or where you guys are just much cheaper than (our supposedly great wholesale deals from) WP. On Thursday I ordered an EGR hose for a T1N Sprinter that no one else had in stock, you guys had two!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks for the business! Because we're diesel specific we work hard to find parts others don't bother with. And we buy a lot of items direct from Europe. Even with current shipping costs it helps keeps prices under control.

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
Thanks for the business! Because we're diesel specific we work hard to find parts others don't bother with. And we buy a lot of items direct from Europe. Even with current shipping costs it helps keeps prices under control.
Wheres my thank you for the business?