www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:19   #61
Turbine Suburban
Veteran Member

I drive mine (1700) miles so far like I am out for a good time. I figure break it in like you're gonna drive it. There are many conflicting opinions on break in, as you noted.
Turbine Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 14:21   #62
rkskeet

Fuel Economy: 46 to 50 per trip hwy - city+hwy 44

DoctorDawg... Thanks for the good info in your FAQ post.. I am a newbie to the diesel world.. Have an 09 Jetta TDI with 1800 miles on it (still wet behind the ears) and enjoying the ride and overall performance (thus far)...

Last edited by rkskeet; August 17th, 2009 at 02:50.
rkskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 21:02   #63
jaydogg007
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI

Disappointing that this has not been stickied yet.
(RC3! also by BARTuning )
jaydogg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:13   #64
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelthere
In the spirit of many of the threads on this forum, may I ask, "What is the source of the posted break-in procedures?" I also notice that they were originally published in 2003. Are they still relevant to the 09 engine?
Since this question has not been answered yet, I will try.

The VW TDI engines block, pistons, rings, and crankshaft (as far as I know ) are built of the same materials and are lubricated the same way. The block is still built of cast iron (that much I know for sure). The technology and fabrication and final finishing techniques of cast iron engine blocks has not changed since they were developed in the days of steam engines. It is tried and true as they come. They are as durable as a ... well ... a cast iron block!

The basic dos and don'ts of break in has not changed either. My owner's manual for my old tech diesel tractor built in 1976 lists the same basics:
  1. normal loads for the first 20 hours.
  2. moderate use of power (75% is ideal) for the remainder of the first 100 hours
  3. very light loads or excessive idling will cause cylinder glazing and the engine may never break in
  4. no excessive rpm
  5. less than ideal use of power results in longer break-in time.
The significant difference is that a TDI car with its turbo is much more easily loaded than a normally aspirated tractor. A car naturally goes through a comparatively wide range of rpms and loads in short period of time. In other words, if you don't idle excessively (as in warming up a car or wait for a train) and you drive moderately, you have nothing to worry about.

Another significant difference is that the break in procedures that you refer reflect its author's driving style and his manual transmission. It works for him very well. It is my opinion that manually forcing a 2009 DSG equipped TDI to those high rpms that those procedures suggest is not helpful; but if you want to drive like that for the rest of the car's life, they don't do any harm. On the other hand, I am of the opinion they may wear in a car in a way that is not optimal if you wish to drive normally as the DSG designer intended. Every motor wears in differently depending how it is operated. It is important to not change that radically during it life.

Another thought to think about, the breaking-in process is all a part of wearing it in which is no different that wearing it out. As long as you don't abuse the engine in the process, you will get to the same mechanical outcome no matter what you do. There is no point rushing it or fretting about it too much.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:42   #65
fgbrault
Veteran Member

Excellent! Thanks.

DSG, Sedan, Platinum Gray, Art Gray Build Date 10/08
fgbrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 15:18   #66
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

I've searched but have been unable to find the anwer. An indy did my 10k mile oil change, but neither he nor I can find the procedure to turn off the "maintenance now" alert. This again on an 09 TDI. I want the version that does not require a VAG-com, please. TIA.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!

Last edited by Mike in Anchorage; August 16th, 2009 at 17:02.
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 17:50   #67
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Not '09-specific but still glad to help: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...03&postcount=1
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 19:45   #68
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

This may be for toher years as well, but it worked on mine:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2498327
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 21:28   #69
wild03
Veteran Member

TDI(s): :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
While still holding trip reset, press the clock minute button
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage
let go of the "0.0" button and depress the "m" button
Hmmm, so which one is it?
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:20   #70
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

• Turn ignition way.
  • Press and hold odometer reset
  • While holding, press and release ‘MIN’.
Old August 27th, 2009, 21:42   #71
geezerb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City/Highway combined
Default Air-bag Count

While waiting for my wife today, I passed some time counting airbags (Yeah, small things for small minds) and if all things that say "airbag" are really airbags, it just might pretty exciting in there if they all went off. I counted one in the dashboard, one in the steering wheel, two in the "A" pillar, Two in the front seats Two in the "B" pillar and two in the back seat. Is that right or do they just like the airbag emblem?
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 22:04   #72
velociT
Veteran Member

They're all airbags geezer.
TDT for PD Mafia Member #002
Then: 06 Jetta TDI 5M *sold*
Now: 17 Ram 3500 CTD, 87 M35A2C
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:33   #73
DesmoTull

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociT
They're all airbags geezer.
+1

Total body impact pillow.

Let's hope they never come in handy....
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 18:43   #74
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Added FAQ #20 regarding the voluntary recall and the new DSG customer care program.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 21:03   #75
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Re: airbags.
My sister-in-law rolled her Beetle (2001?) down an embankment, onto what I believe is called "rip-rap", the large rocks used stabilize the areas around raised highways. She ended up upside down, hanging from her seat-belt. Managed to reach her purse/cell phone with her foot, phoned my brother to tell her where she was.
Took more than 45 minutes to find the car, as my brother and the EM personnel drove several times past where she left the highway...there was no indication where she had left the road.

Every bag deployed. The car was totaled. She walked away, after they got her out of the car.

Their comment? The Beetle is the safest car on the road.

Not sure how a Jetta would have done, but the "total body impact pillow" concept is comforting!
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote